Which Trek Road Bike

BigDL

So, looking, over the next few months, to possibly take advantage of the winter prices in road bikes to try and pick up a discount. I am ideally looking at Trek because there is a local retailer who could do with the support and he will work with me on price as far as possible. I would rather pay him a bit extra and be able to go to him for help if needed.

I have been looking at the Trek Domane and the Madone, both in the SL5 and SL6, but am no closer to identifying what’s right for me. The Domane seems to be better for comfort (at 47 years old that is a consideration), but my stravashole side seems to be pushing towards the apparently faster of the two, the Madone. I should stress, I ain’t going to be taking any KOM’s or the like, just like to compete with my mates.

So, just wondering if anyone can advise, also struggling to understand the differences between the 5 and 6? Do they justify the significant price difference?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more tech in the madone

Sure, which is why it also appears to be a lot more expensive. If BigDL has the money to go out on a Madone, then he should by all means. But he does mention comfort, and to get the most out of the Madone surely you need to have your stem slammed and your back flat, otherwise what's the point of the added tech?

Just my opinion.

For me it would be between the Emonda and the Madone.

Madone is a fantastic bike but only comes in H1.5 fit for the latest model so you aren't going to get one that is comfortable if you aren't able to ride down low. Madone is an extremely heavy bike though.

Domane is upright and best suited for long distance and confort, especially with the Isospeed decoupler. I still prefer the Emonda over this as its plenty comfy and is lighter. Emonda in its current form though has been around for almost 5 years now and is a bit outdated in my opinion. I'd like to see the next one get some aero improvements and compete with something like the Supersix and Tarmac.

Many thanks guys. What about the SL5 v SL6? 105 to Ultegra as far as I can see and different wheels? Worth the cost difference? My current road bike is ancient so I would be wanting to ride a new one for a good few years, so happyish to spend a bit more if needed, depending what I can get away with.

Many thanks guys. What about the SL5 v SL6? 105 to Ultegra as far as I can see and different wheels? Worth the cost difference? My current road bike is ancient so I would be wanting to ride a new one for a good few years, so happyish to spend a bit more if needed, depending what I can get away with.

Unless you're racing A group and are semi pro like the guy who kept sitting on his Top Tube, I would go for the comfort factor.

If your old roadie is old, either one is going to feel like a jet propelled rocket ship in comparison.

I reckon comfort trumps an extra 0.3 seconds per 2km for us bog average to slightly average cyclists.

Unless you're racing A group and are semi pro like the guy who kept sitting on his Top Tube, I would go for the comfort factor.

If your old roadie is old, either one is going to feel like a jet propelled rocket ship in comparison.

I reckon comfort trumps an extra 0.3 seconds per 2km for us bog average to slightly average cyclists.

Have to say, my head says that as well. I suppose I am desperately trying to pretend that I’m not getting old. With my current bike, after 50k’s, I stagger off it and try and fix the hurt in my back before gritting my teeth and climbing back on.

I have the Domane SLR5 2016 model - my first road bike and I defnitely love it.

The wheelset is the corner they cut to meet the price point and I only knew how truly bad they were when I upgraded them.

The isospeed decoupler bearing tends to creak but that's fairly easily fixed and is probably because I'm a 95kg mamil.

I am very comfortable on the bike and have taken it on everal 6 or 7 hour rides without any back or bum or shoulder/arm pain - just the lovely suffering of riding so long.

I have the 2020 Madone SL6 disc and love it. It's sprints like a mofo, is stiff as hell and doubles up as a short tri/du bike.

For you I reckon the Domane is a better choice. It is more relaxed, has an internal sotrage box and can double up as a light duty gravel bike. It can take wider tyres than the Madone.

I haven't really checked the specs but spring for the Ultegra if you can. It's smooth as butter.