Northern Farm MTB death

Danib36

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to hear.

On another note, you cannot expect a place where you ride your bike to have a full time paramedic on standby for if someone gets hurt. That opens up a whole new can of worms for negligence claims etc....

Sad to hear.

On another note, you cannot expect a place where you ride your bike to have a full time paramedic on standby for if someone gets hurt. That opens up a whole new can of worms for negligence claims etc....

I agree with you, but there absolutely should be an emergency plan in place for incidents, be it a off road vehicle to gain immediate access, first aid training for some staff who will be first on scene and contact with medical personal for further treatment etc.

Absolutely shocking of management for not having their house in order :cursing:

What an awful series of events leading to such a needless tragedy. Condolences to all involved. 

While I don't think you could ever expect to have on tap paramedics at the trails I do think you need to have staff who know an emergency procedure, are 1st aid trained and management that have let emergency services like er24 (which are businesses after all) their location, best routes in and access procedures.

I often think if something bad went down on a trail how we would evacuate the injured person. I assume that I have air cover on my medical (but have never checked) and an assumption will only be found true or false when it's desperately needed. 

I have the 'What3words' app on my phone for location pinpointing and have recently got the Namola device. https://www.namola.com You can also get as an app and it pinpoints as well as gets response from the nearest emergency services and not just the one you are signed up with at home. 

This is just terrible news.

This probably wont be common knowledge to the riders at Northern Farms but it should be to the management I would hope.  Right next door at Terra Topia, the motocross track, they have medical personnel on standby whenever there is an event on.  Not sure about the exact equipment and facilities they have but they do have a medical emergency plan in place, that is for sure. 

The guys were practicing on Saturday so I dont know what the situation was exactly with regards to the presence of medical personnel. (At some race tracks they have dedicated medical facilities but I have only been to Terra Topica a couple of time so not sure what they have exactly myself, but a plan, they must have)

Might be a good idea to for Northern Farms to copy and past the plan to get something going.

Would the MySOS app have helped? I have that on my phone for couple of events that recommend it, but luckily never had to use it. It apparently sends your GPS coordinates and has your medical info already stored in case. 

This is just terrible news.

This probably wont be common knowledge to the riders at Northern Farms but it should be to the management I would hope.  Right next door at Terra Topia, the motocross track, they have medical personnel on standby whenever there is an event on.  Not sure about the exact equipment and facilities they have but they do have a medical emergency plan in place, that is for sure. 

The guys were practicing on Saturday so I dont know what the situation was exactly with regards to the presence of medical personnel. (At some race tracks they have dedicated medical facilities but I have only been to Terra Topica a couple of time so not sure what they have exactly myself, but a plan, they must have)

Might be a good idea to for Northern Farms to copy and past the plan to get something going.

Shame, that is the kind of thing the management needs to do with other places in the area. Find out what facilities exist, share knowledge and make sure that is also available to the riders. 

Would the MySOS app have helped? I have that on my phone for couple of events that recommend it, but luckily never had to use it. It apparently sends your GPS coordinates and has your medical info already stored in case. 

Certainly would not have hurt....

Legally, all sporting events are required to have trained first aiders on standby. Not sure if this qualifies as a sporting event, but the fact that they are open to the public tells me that they should have something like this in place.

Incredibly Sad RIP.

IIRC , none of the trail "providers" have official medical personnel. I am sure in their entry requirements it is own risk. Cannot blame the facility in this case as sad as that may be.

We do not really know any details here, OP has one post. Premature to make judgement calls.

Edited by IceCreamMan

None of the pay places we ride have standby medical care .They need to have a plan for emergencies thou

Seen a guy go down hard at Bloemendal on a Sat morning,also to be told to phone an ambulance.There should be 1st Aiders on duty with medical boxes

Incredibly Sad RIP.

IIRC , none of the trail "providers" have official medical personnel. I am sure in their entry requirements it is own risk. Cannot blame the facility in this case as sad as that may be.

We do not really know any details here, OP has one post. Premature to make judgement calls.

Not so much medical, but at the very least, first aiders who know what to do whilst waiting for proper medical to arrive.

Seen a guy go down hard at Bloemendal on a Sat morning,also to be told to phone an ambulance.There should be 1st Aiders on duty with medical boxes

Nobody wants to pay for that though... so it doesn't happen.

Events are a different story, but this is a trail network that is open to all and sundry at all times... 

Such an incredibly sad story, my heart breaks for the father and this little lady gone far too soon.

May future lives be saved by this knowledge and us all being a bit better prepared and informed.

Mtb is an extreme sport and with that come risks I am afraid

RIP young lady  :(