Proud owner of first road bike

Salty Biker

Enjoy the new addition. I hardly use my roadie these days! Commute on HT and DS for weekend or midweek evening rides. The odd road ride now and then. Will probably put more time on it as we approach summer.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on this. I gave the bike a good clean, adjusted the gears and bike fit, bought some goodies like a saddle bag, riding computer and pump (all cheap stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse) and replaced the tubes and tyres.

Got some Continental Ultra Sport tyres for it for R350 each, which according to a bunch of reviews are apparently pretty decent for the money. Time will tell though. I've heard punctures are a bit of an issue with these tyres, but I wasn't keen on dropping R800 a tyre for this bike until I knew I enjoy road riding

Took it for a quick 10km spin this morning and I really enjoy the speed of this road bike riding thing! As much as I enjoy blasting down a single track with the mountain bike, I enjoy the effortless speed that this road bike achieves on the asphalt

Just need to change two dodgy spokes (intact, but bent) and one bottle cage and I'm good to go

How do you know what size frame to get for a road bike? Mountain bikes are easy, small, medium, large, etc. But looking through the classifieds there are SO MANY different sizes, I wouldnt even know where to start

Edited by Chadvdw67

i last had a road bike when i was 14. Hell, thinking about it now...i had 3 bikes then (bmx, and a mtb too)...all pass-me-downs....but still.

Now i just have a MTB.

where did I go wrong.

i need to re-examine my life choices.

FML.

Jirre boet. Imagine all your snyde comments and pseudo-aggressive behaviour if you were a roadie?

Fridays on le hub would be explosive

Welcome to the fast side :thumbup:

(If you ask, then I'm a mountain biker, but I own more road bikes than mountain bikes......)

I’m a mountain biker who never rides any proper trails and has a road bike habit - I ordered and paid for the new Pyga last year, have collected seriously high end parts for a year and will end up with a bike worth more than my car that I’m probably not going to ride and definitely don’t need - all that money I’ve put in could have been 5 or six Colnagos

I’ve just depressed myself

Another thing about road riding is how much cheaper the bike is to maintain. Just replaced my 105 Casette after 14950km on the last one.

In the same time period my MTB has done half the distance and I've lost count of how many casettes and chains and even a whole new derailleur --- oh and a shifter.... 

OK I'm glad to hear that road bikes are actually cheaper to maintain. My mountain bike has eaten holes into my pocket before (full sus BMC)

Will save on actually riding as well. If I want to ride trails where I live, I have to drive between 15 and 60km to get to a bike park, pay for day fees and drive back. At least with the road bike I can get on and ride from my doorstep.

Still consider myself a stubborn mountain biker though!

Congrats and nice bike, OP. I would be tempted to ask if I could make a swap with you with my current road bike - not that I've been on the saddle in the last year or so. I'll probably take my steed back to the LBS to have it converted back to a hybrid commuter one of these days, and your RC 3000 is one size too big for me  :ph34r: 

OK I'm glad to hear that road bikes are actually cheaper to maintain. My mountain bike has eaten holes into my pocket before (full sus BMC).......

My rough thumbsuck is that my 3 road bikes together cost less than a tenth of what my full suspension trail bike eats up in maintaining. 

Edited by DJR