Proud owner of first road bike

Salty Biker

I started off MTB only and only got a road bike because a bunch of friends also wanted to start road.  

8 road bikes later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all!

Think I'll replace that cheesy looking seat as well at some point (looks like a kid's bike's seat, but I know it's original), however my cheapskate girlfriend says I shouldn't change it just because I don't like the looks of it, because I'm going to sit on it and nobody will see the seat

Looking forward to doing the shova fun ride with it

How many pairs of shoes does she own?

Thanks all!

Think I'll replace that cheesy looking seat as well at some point (looks like a kid's bike's seat, but I know it's original), however my cheapskate girlfriend says I shouldn't change it just because I don't like the looks of it, because I'm going to sit on it and nobody will see the seat

Looking forward to doing the shova fun ride with it

Make sure you get 25 tyres or 28 if will fit, the 23 are bumpy as s&!@,

Enjoy the bike, looks lekker.

Im mostly into MTB, but when I do take the roadie out the pure speed always puts a smile on my face.

How much faster do you reckon you are on the road bike than the mountain bike, say the time difference between the same 10km stretch of road?

Much faster

Faster on hills, faster on flats, faster on descents - but I have also been caught and passed on people on MTBs before and then I just pretend that I'm taking it easy and not racing ... but it hurts.

Except that one time when Alan Hatherly passed me and Lechatnoir on Ou Kaapse Weg wearing stripes -- then it didn't feel so bad.

How much faster do you reckon you are on the road bike than the mountain bike, say the time difference between the same 10km stretch of road?

Its a really big difference. I have never actually checked on a benchmark but the roadie is a lot faster than MTB even with slicks.

Thanks for the feedback, was always curious how the average rider would experience the difference between the mtb and road bike.

How many pairs of shoes does she own?

Haha, ten pairs of the same cheap shoe!

Will be getting new tyres and tubes for it tomorrow, clean it and adjust the gears and take the bike for a spin. It's been raining, so wasn't keen getting on the bike with unknown age tyres and riding in the wet. Looking forward to it

A pair of cycling shoes can cost the kind of money that if your girlfriend bought shoes for that amount, you'd seriously question her value system.

Road cycling also starts to change a person. For eg, i never used to give a hoot about clothing but now I find myself looking at cycling jerseys online and thinking "ooo nice colours... matches my bottle cages and in a racer cut too. And only 1300 bucks ...."

Even the postman, on a solid stainless steel, single speed wobbly cranked bike is faster than me on a road bike.

It is all about gearing.

Even the postman, on a solid stainless steel, single speed wobbly cranked bike is faster than me on a road bike.

It is all about gearing.

I thought that was only if you wanted to do an 'Everest' #confused

Few years back I had a long separation from my road bike where if i took it out I had to pump the tires which had gone flat from standing too long and only rode my MTB, then the urge suddenly came back and these days I spend more time on the road bikes than MTB's.