The toolbox thread

100Tours

9 hours ago, patches said:

Blessings from Amazon arrived yesterday...

image.png.936bad7a47b930cc8d3a95662a75747e.png

Milwaukee 12V Installation Driver with the 4 different heads, 2x 2Ah batteries and a useless US 110V charger (fortunately I have a charger already).

image.png.d2ea351555b25e26cdf932d654a2042c.png

Here's how it stacks up next to the its 18V "big" brothers.

image.png.793a7aeacfefc0c6c0a2a1f2a14856a9.png

Weight wise it nice and light. Power wise it's pretty impressive for 12V. The 34Nm of torque is in the same ballpark as some entry level 18V tools, and more than enough for most jobs.

The quick-release 14/" hex (impact driver style) collet makes it super handy. And the hand-guard is magnetic for storing bits or fasteners while one works.

Only gripe so far is the un-intuitive forward-reverse button. Don't know why they went with a digital push button on the top in stead of the traditional sliding/push-through toggle by the trigger.

But yeah, this will likely be my go-to for most odds and ends, with the 18V variants only coming out for the heavy lifting.

Nice 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blessings from Amazon arrived yesterday...

image.png.936bad7a47b930cc8d3a95662a75747e.png

Milwaukee 12V Installation Driver with the 4 different heads, 2x 2Ah batteries and a useless US 110V charger (fortunately I have a charger already).

image.png.d2ea351555b25e26cdf932d654a2042c.png

Here's how it stacks up next to the its 18V "big" brothers.

image.png.793a7aeacfefc0c6c0a2a1f2a14856a9.png

Weight wise it nice and light. Power wise it's pretty impressive for 12V. The 34Nm of torque is in the same ballpark as some entry level 18V tools, and more than enough for most jobs.

The quick-release 14/" hex (impact driver style) collet makes it super handy. And the hand-guard is magnetic for storing bits or fasteners while one works.

Only gripe so far is the un-intuitive forward-reverse button. Don't know why they went with a digital push button on the top in stead of the traditional sliding/push-through toggle by the trigger.

But yeah, this will likely be my go-to for most odds and ends, with the 18V variants only coming out for the heavy lifting.

My Instagram is littered with Milwaukee products. Pity that they are so pricey here. Saw a bare hammer drill for R9,5k if I'm not mistaken and very little products out of the range available here.

This week on "What Tool is Worth its Weight in Gold"...

...the laser level!

After ripping down my nasty textured study ceiling, only to find that the ceiling joists were about as straight and level as a government tender-preneur, I figured I would have to install an adjustable ceiling batten/rail system to fasten the new drywall sheets to.

To give myself a fighting chance I made a quick "bracket", clamped a laser level to a joist, and used the little red target thingy (that's what I'm calling it) to level each batten clip.

So easy to adjust, and great result all-round!

image.png.e69be0107c65cccbc6bef37b8aab821b.png

An idea of how outta-whack the joists are!

image.png.63d30e16772b04b4c46c9e22736704ac.png

Laser suspended from joist via my high-precision custom made bracket

image.png.16c2db15467886b11c25c8172eb6d2a0.png

Using the little red target thingy (which has magnets) to align the height of each of the 24 batten clips to the right height.

image.png.b41cf4b2c3a1f1974cc812f4caa2f293.png 

New insulation in, drywall lift cranked up and using the laser to make sure I don't miss the batten when fastening the drywall

image.png.3b68c9f2ba86a1aa161be5aad36ecc3e.png

Most level ceiling in the house!

6 hours ago, patches said:

...the laser level!

After ripping down my nasty textured study ceiling, only to find that the ceiling joists were about as straight and level as a government tender-preneur, I figured I would have to install an adjustable ceiling batten/rail system to fasten the new drywall sheets to.

To give myself a fighting chance I made a quick "bracket", clamped a laser level to a joist, and used the little red target thingy (that's what I'm calling it) to level each batten clip.

Using the little red target thingy (which has magnets) to align the height of each of the 24 batten clips to the right height.

New insulation in, drywall lift cranked up and using the laser to make sure I don't miss the batten when fastening the drywall

Very clever ! My only gripe with my laser level is I can’t use it outdoors because of the sun - last night I leveled a deck I’m building in the dark, something I often do 😂

3 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Very clever ! My only gripe with my laser level is I can’t use it outdoors because of the sun - last night I leveled a deck I’m building in the dark, something I often do 😂

If I am not mistaken, that laser is the same tech as in the disto meters, and for these you can get specific glasses from decent hardware stores that let you see the lazer in the bright day light .....

Nice work ... you may actually make more money putting up ceilings :P

Are those asbestos roof sheets?

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

Nice work ... you may actually make more money putting up ceilings :P

Are those asbestos roof sheets?

Not a lie! As a lowly public servant don't get me started about the government 3yr pay freeze, haha!

Tradies here can make some serious bank!

As for the alleged "asbestos"... no comment 😅

13 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

If I am not mistaken, that laser is the same tech as in the disto meters, and for these you can get specific glasses from decent hardware stores that let you see the lazer in the bright day light .....

I believe the green lasers are also more visible in daylight, but they cost a pretty penny more than the red ones.

Made the mistake of walking into a tool shop to get a tape measure. The shop happened to be a Milwaukee Red Centre, with some deals on hand.

Ended up walking out with a tape measure and one of these😅

1207055_MW-M18FMT-0.jpg

On 3/8/2022 at 1:44 AM, patches said:

...the laser level!

Very well done.

Few years back I used the same laser to mark out a tricky paving.  All the laser work was done just after sunset.  Tippex marks were made on the walls in order to do the rest of the work during the day.

Very handy tools

8 hours ago, patches said:

I believe the green lasers are also more visible in daylight, but they cost a pretty penny more than the red ones.

When I bought this many years ago that’s what I thought I was buying - I ended up marking all the poles for bearers in the dark as I was determined to use my new toy 

41 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

When I bought this many years ago that’s what I thought I was buying - I ended up marking all the poles for bearers in the dark as I was determined to use my new toy 

Cheap "upgrade" options available, but you would still want to be working in the dark so that your neighbours do not see you wearing such unfashionable glasses

https://www.takealot.com/bosch-laser-viewing-glasses-red/PLID42534039?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmpyRBhC-ARIsABs2EArgf0F3OGocr3gkV5kP8wVK9JBx3gUGLUfpOB3FTmHA2A0jp0ZMXl8aAswGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Cheap "upgrade" options available, but you would still want to be working in the dark so that your neighbours do not see you wearing such unfashionable glasses

https://www.takealot.com/bosch-laser-viewing-glasses-red/PLID42534039?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmpyRBhC-ARIsABs2EArgf0F3OGocr3gkV5kP8wVK9JBx3gUGLUfpOB3FTmHA2A0jp0ZMXl8aAswGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

thanks, placing order shortly

I live in Hoekwil, the town fashion forgot

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

thanks, placing order shortly

I live in Hoekwil, the town fashion forgot

in that case you may just start a "trend"