The toolbox thread

100Tours

11 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I bought myself one of these little units just before Xmas on a 72% takealot special for R1090 and I've been blow away with the punch it packs for its size. I've just used to to build a 3x3m pergola and it's handled everything with ease (and on a single charge). They've certainly come a long way with these battery powered tools.

I've now added a small Schultz Polisher to the toolbox as well for polishing up the frames I respray. It's only 12V though and I've yet to put it to the test but it appears to be pretty decent quality.

Incco drill.jpg

Polisher.jpg

I am struggling to find those "foam cone and ball type" polishing pads that are on extension's that you can fit in your drill.

The motorbike has raw alum wheels that are really difficult to get one's hand into and to polish up.

Any ideas please?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/2/2022 at 8:05 AM, dave303e said:

On the Makita LXT front. These tools( and likely the milwauke/aeg/dewald similar) are worth their weight in gold.

Heaven knows how we lived pre impact drivers and battery drills. 

My Makita 18V LXT range is growing all the time as funds allow. Recently just got a 36V leaf blower. Now my batteries(I have 2 and they both 3.0ah) have lasted years(will be 8 years this may) and have never missed a beat. I have noticed with my hammer drill they don't last as long of late but they still do the job perfectly. Put them both onto the new leaf blower and I get like 5min out of them and for the first time ever my charger cools them down a bit before charging. So now I'm saving for 2 new batteries. Will probably stick with the 3.0ah

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

I am struggling to find those "foam cone and ball type" polishing pads that are on extension's that you can fit in your drill.

The motorbike has raw alum wheels that are really difficult to get one's hand into and to polish up.

Any ideas please?

The guy I bought the polisher from said he had a contact for the smaller 2 and 3' foam pads, I'll try get hold of him and see what he stocks 🤙

2 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

My Makita 18V LXT range is growing all the time as funds allow. Recently just got a 36V leaf blower. Now my batteries(I have 2 and they both 3.0ah) have lasted years(will be 8 years this may) and have never missed a beat. I have noticed with my hammer drill they don't last as long of late but they still do the job perfectly. Put them both onto the new leaf blower and I get like 5min out of them and for the first time ever my charger cools them down a bit before charging. So now I'm saving for 2 new batteries. Will probably stick with the 3.0ah

My old man bought a few of the 18v tools back in 2008. Drill, grinder 1.2 inch impact driver(amazing for 4x4 trips where you will have to remove a tyre at some stage).

He actually had 2 of his original batteries repacked by a guy a few weeks ago and has been fairly happy so far.

We just bought a few 5ah batteries, makes a massive difference. We did a roof the other day. So it was a full day driving 90mm pozi's to anchor the roof, Battery was a beast.

7 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Shotto Otto

Takealot and Builders warehouse also stock all the torque craft stuff.

IN FACT! I have a drill peg foam pad with velcro bottom in my shaping shed I will never use...........

(Yes, I inadvertently used the words 'peg' and 'bottom' in an innocent sentence)

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Takealot and Builders warehouse also stock all the torque craft stuff.

IN FACT! I have a drill peg foam pad with velcro bottom in my shaping shed I will never use...........

(Yes, I inadvertently used the words 'peg' and 'bottom' in an innocent sentence)

Been to my builders a few times, and every time I ask them they have a perplexed look on their face.

6 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

My collection is ever growing as well. I have 6 5AH batteries and have now got brush-cutter, chainsaw, hedge cutter, sander and a jigsaw. Nearly bought a battery post hole digger, but the petrol option was a third of the price (not a makita but I don't dig enough holes to justify £500). Have really enjoyed each of the tools and they really are faultless. 

7 minutes ago, BigDL said:

My collection is ever growing as well. I have 6 5AH batteries and have now got brush-cutter, chainsaw, hedge cutter, sander and a jigsaw. Nearly bought a battery post hole digger, but the petrol option was a third of the price (not a makita but I don't dig enough holes to justify £500). Have really enjoyed each of the tools and they really are faultless. 

Have you used the 3.0ah batteries? I'm now wondering if I should rather go for the 5.0ah. 

Can anyone comment on what is best for cutting light steel sections (up to 50mm square say and 3mm wall) accurately?  Cheapest is the abrasive wheel cut off but beastly; sparks and accuracy; cold saw or full size metal cutting bandsaw a bit pricey. Anyone used a portable bandsaw or recip saw?

On 6/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, ChrisF said:

Finally found a nice digital pressure gauge.

Screenshot_20210601-203451_Gallery.jpg.3aca91d8c95d3f14df653b10b3218648.jpg

Rather than the standard connector hose I fitted a cycle pump hose and connector.

Screenshot_20210601-203455_Gallery.jpg.9ecaf5799cdc8dcaa808e47b4c95688a.jpg

R265 at Addendorf

Awesome idea - stealing your idea this weekend 😊

59 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Can anyone comment on what is best for cutting light steel sections (up to 50mm square say and 3mm wall) accurately?  Cheapest is the abrasive wheel cut off but beastly; sparks and accuracy; cold saw or full size metal cutting bandsaw a bit pricey. Anyone used a portable bandsaw or recip saw?

I find that a cutoff saw with an abrasive wheel is within accuracy range that is ok. It is not perfect, but if you set your piece up well enough for the weld you can correct for the inaccuracies when you weld it.

I have heard good things about a metal cutting disc in a cutoff saw but they seem hefty, I will buy one when my current abrasive is work out.

But ya cutoff saw if used well is good enough for most of us. I got a Metabo from leroy merlin, very happy with the saw, sits mid price range

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

Been to my builders a few times, and every time I ask them they have a perplexed look on their face.

most useless shop I've ever had the misfortune of visiting. And waaaaaaay overpriced.