The toolbox thread

100Tours

I bought a decent belt sander from CC about 2 months ago. The time it has saved me on hand sanding has paid for it at the very least.
It was a bused and so is not perfect, frustrating at times when the belt comes off but it was really dirt cheap......
I have bought other items. For example a Kindle Paperwhite for R400 as they just didn't know what it was and so priced it wrong.
Friend also bought a Bosch didtal bluetooth tape measure for R49, again, not knowing what the product is or sells for.
Then other times I have seen items priced more than they go for new, so you need to know what you are looking at too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I like how it has a single hex hole but can do 3.5mm - 12mm ????

Here's the rest of the hex wrenches.

2135017597_Screenshot_20211105-143231_SamsungInternet.jpg.9b5b88af42d4bbcaa41145affa77c04d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been a juggling act between over or under lubing the chain ..... all gunked up, or creaking at the end of a long dusty ride.

Got caught out a couple times where the chain would creak in the large gear towards the end of long dusty ride.  Now you need that big gear for the steep climbs, even more so at the end of a long ride .... BUT, that sound ....

And so the search started for a small lube dispenser, just for that odd occasion next to the trail.

The standard 15ml dispensers fit tightly into the SpeedSleave toolbag.  More importantly, ugly bulge on the side ...

Time for an experiment ..... for a trail side application 5ml is way more than enough.  And so an expired meds dispenser got repurposed.  Slipped off the "spout" and filled it with some dry-lube.  Quick test confirmed it is perfect to dispense one drop at a time.

1294012618_DL5ml.jpg.e48d6900fd29ff6782f6f834dcab1eeb.jpg

It easily fits into the pouch, and balances out the goodies in the other side nicely.

DL.jpg.662b8c2a7d8c6e879eb60ba2f54a143c.jpg

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Been a juggling act between over or under lubing the chain ..... all gunked up, or creaking at the end of a long dusty ride.

Got caught out a couple times where the chain would creak in the large gear towards the end of long dusty ride.  Now you need that big gear for the steep climbs, even more so at the end of a long ride .... BUT, that sound ....

And so the search started for a small lube dispenser, just for that odd occasion next to the trail.

The standard 15ml dispensers fit tightly into the SpeedSleave toolbag.  More importantly, ugly bulge on the side ...

Time for an experiment ..... for a trail side application 5ml is way more than enough.  And so an expired meds dispenser got repurposed.  Slipped off the "spout" and filled it with some dry-lube.  Quick test confirmed it is perfect to dispense one drop at a time.

1294012618_DL5ml.jpg.e48d6900fd29ff6782f6f834dcab1eeb.jpg

It easily fits into the pouch, and balances out the goodies in the other side nicely.

DL.jpg.662b8c2a7d8c6e879eb60ba2f54a143c.jpg

Ryder Lubretta works really well for me.

• 1 month later...

Been a little too trigger-happy with the drill purchases of late.

Found the Makita brushless hammer drill and impact driver kit for a great price (338 NZD, by playing the 2 main big-box hardware stores off each other).

I didn't neeeed it, as they were similar spec to my AEG ones. I just gave in to the temptation of a sweet deal. So I sold the charger, drill and driver, but kept the battery. In the end the 5Ah battery only cost me about 9 NZD.

image.png.fab5c165fb56179039cb1979cd3b65ac.png

But my addiction didn't stop there. I had a hankering for a new drill and decided if I was going to get one, it should at least be a significant upgrade on my AEG brushless.

Enter the Milwaukee Fuel 18V. Nice and compact and at 135Nm it has more than double the torque of the Makita.

This thing is a beast. Hard to believe how they cram that much power into such a compact tool!

image.png.1dc67ad1093fcb9c50feb39f10b57fd8.png

The AEG brushless with 5Ah battery compared to the (nearly twice as torquey) Milwaukee with same size battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be slow to the party, but eventually I get there...

I recently discovered these:

image.png.9798267e74b733e391242eb5e9bce513.png

Bosch dual head, double sided impact bit.

Dual head does Phillips 2 and Robinson 2 (square) in 1 tip. Also double sided so double the longevity. 

I tested it on phillips and square and it works pretty well. Sure it'll likely cam-out on higher torque applications, but for 90% of the time it's great, and handy not to have to keep swapping bits.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, patches said:

Been a little too trigger-happy with the drill purchases of late.

Found the Makita brushless hammer drill and impact driver kit for a great price (338 NZD, by playing the 2 main big-box hardware stores off each other).

I didn't neeeed it, as they were similar spec to my AEG ones. I just gave in to the temptation of a sweet deal. So I sold the charger, drill and driver, but kept the battery. In the end the 5Ah battery only cost me about 9 NZD.

image.png.fab5c165fb56179039cb1979cd3b65ac.png

But my addiction didn't stop there. I had a hankering for a new drill and decided if I was going to get one, it should at least be a significant upgrade on my AEG brushless.

Enter the Milwaukee Fuel 18V. Nice and compact and at 135Nm it has more than double the torque of the Makita.

This thing is a beast. Hard to believe how they cram that much power into such a compact tool!

image.png.1dc67ad1093fcb9c50feb39f10b57fd8.png

The AEG brushless with 5Ah battery compared to the (nearly twice as torquey) Milwaukee with same size battery.

On the Makita LXT front. These tools( and likely the milwauke/aeg/dewald similar) are worth their weight in gold.

Heaven knows how we lived pre impact drivers and battery drills. 

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

On the Makita LXT front. These tools( and likely the milwauke/aeg/dewald similar) are worth their weight in gold.

I had a new pre-paid meter installed at home.

Step ONE ... shut down the power on the street corner ....  few steps down the line they have to drill holes to mount the new box.

Not that long ago that would have meant starting up a generator. :thumbup:  It was such a seamless install thanks to the battery operated equipment.

Okay .... the "tradesman" still managed to mount the box skew .... :cursing:  But no battery can help for that ...

12 hours ago, dave303e said:

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I had a new pre-paid meter installed at home.

Step ONE ... shut down the power on the street corner ....  few steps down the line they have to drill holes to mount the new box.

Not that long ago that would have meant starting up a generator. :thumbup:  It was such a seamless install thanks to the battery operated equipment.

Okay .... the "tradesman" still managed to mount the box skew .... :cursing:  But no battery can help for that ...

Our contractors on site opt for cordless power tools as much as possible. Not only is there the convenience of no dangling cord, no reliance on mains power, but another one is that our sites require a 3-monthly tagging and testing (for electrical safety) of any tools utilised, and that becomes a lot simpler when it's just a charger or 2 and maybe a dust-extractor (the Festool ones are the most popular and haven't gone cordless quite yet).

Also, once one is on a battery platform for a contractor grade tool, often the tool skins themselves are the same price (or sometimes cheaper) than the corded equivalents.

The battery platforms being the catch, and as mentioned before, it can get out of hand. A quick tally of cordless contraptions in the garage and shed indicates some 18 power tools, 3 powered garden tools, 15 batteries, 6 chargers, and 5 different battery platforms. The only corded varieties I have are a table saw, mitre saw and drywall sander. I do have plans to replace the mitre saw with a cordless, but that means going on to yet another battery platform and the associated charger! Damn you Makita for making the XGT 40V so desirable!

I bought myself one of these little units just before Xmas on a 72% less takealot special for R1090 and I've been blown away with the punch it packs for its size. I've just used it to to build a 3x3m pergola (holes and setting screws) and it's handled everything with ease (and on a single charge). They've certainly come a long way with these battery powered tools.

I've now added a small Schultz Polisher to the toolbox as well for polishing up the frames I respray. It's only 12V though and I've yet to put it to the test but it appears to be pretty decent quality for the price.

Incco drill.jpg

Polisher.jpg

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes