The toolbox thread

100Tours

send some pics here, you might have some takers, between me, my old man, BIL and his friend we might take some stuff.

Also condolences to you and your family, good luck with the whole process, realised my post was crude earlier. Always forget how emotionally tough it is sorting someone's loved possessions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dave303e said:

send some pics here, you might have some takers, between me, my old man, BIL and his friend we might take some stuff.

Also condolences to you and your family, good luck with the whole process, realised my post was crude earlier. Always forget how emotionally tough it is sorting someone's loved possessions.

Thank you - appreciate that. I’ll put some pics up but don't want to spam the forum 😂.  I don’t mind crude posts either. Lots of emotion but emotion won’t shift the kakhouse full of stuff 

On 11/10/2022 at 7:53 AM, BigDL said:

So, looking for some advice please. My ballie passed away suddenly last Thursday in PMB, so I’m out for two weeks to try and sort out stuff for my mom. 

The old man was a fanatical woodworker and had heaps of equipment. He was  supposed to have been selling stuff over the past few months as the folks were supposed to be moving into a retirement complex, but it appears that he sold very little and the garage is still packed with kit and wood. I’m here for another 10 days and am keen to get my mom moved to the new place and to realise some cash for her from the woodworking stuff. The problem is that I have no idea how to sell it as I don’t want randomers turning up at the house because of a Facebook ad and I also have no idea of values of the stuff. 

So, the question is, does anyone have a suggestion as to a simplistic way to dispose of it all in the Pietermaritzburg area? 

Sorry to hear that BigDL.

Unfortunately I don't have any great ideas on where the tools may find new homes. When my Dad passed my Mom gave most of his stuff away to friends etc (although his collection was pretty basic).

I see others have mentioned guilds and the like. Not sure if PMB has a Men's Shed chapter, but that could be another option.

New tool day. This one was a bit of an impulse purchase (suckered in by AliExpress' 11.11 sale) and ultimately it's a nerdy toy.

But yeah, I added this little guy to the workshop

image.png.9695aa85986211e6a79561efbb82a3d1.png

Atomstack X20 Pro, 20W Diode Laser Engraver & Cutter. This won't be it's permanent home, and I need to do some tidying and proper setup.

But in my haste to try it out, I manged to cut out the one of the test files on the supplied test material and was pretty impressed with the quality

image.png.9897594babf0b98e1acce7408d510cdd.png

Some charring is from the beginning when I forgot to turn on the air-assist, and yes, I'm using a cookie cooling tray as a raised cut bed, but don't worry this wasn't stolen from the kitchen (I know my limits). I bought it as a cheap temporary solution while I wait for a proper honeycomb bed.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the build quality, ease of assembly (approx 20min and pretty good instructions), accuracy and detail of the cut and delivery time (1 week via DHL).

As mentioned, it was a bit of an impulse purchase, but I do have a number of uses and projects in mind (which I'll probably post on the woodwork thread one I figure out the software and settings and make something constructive). I also justify it to myself (and my wife) by saying that it's far cheaper than a CNC router (although I still plan to sneak one of those in someday 😅)

Edited by patches

9 hours ago, patches said:

New tool day. This one was a bit of an impulse purchase (suckered in by AliExpress' 11.11 sale) and ultimately it's a nerdy toy.

Atomstack X20 Pro, 20W Diode Laser Engraver & Cutter. This won't be it's permanent home, and I need to do some tidying and proper setup.

But in my haste to try it out, I manged to cut out the one of the test files on the supplied test material and was pretty impressed with the quality

Some charring is from the beginning when I forgot to turn on the air-assist, and yes, I'm using a cookie cooling tray as a raised cut bed, but don't worry this wasn't stolen from the kitchen (I know my limits). I bought it as a cheap temporary solution while I wait for a proper honeycomb bed.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the build quality, ease of assembly (approx 20min and pretty good instructions), accuracy and detail of the cut and delivery time (1 week via DHL).

As mentioned, it was a bit of an impulse purchase, but I do have a number of uses and projects in mind (which I'll probably post on the woodwork thread one I figure out the software and settings and make something constructive). I also justify it to myself (and my wife) by saying that it's far cheaper than a CNC router (although I still plan to sneak one of those in someday 😅)

You bastid; I googled that now I am lusting; just a little. How big a jump is it to 1mm metal cutting say?

6 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

You bastid; I googled that now I am lusting; just a little. How big a jump is it to 1mm metal cutting say?

hahaha, yeah, AliExpress can be dangerous!

So full disclosure, I'm a noob to lasers. My education is the sum total of watching YouTube vids on my bus commute for the past 10 days.

From what I have learnt, there are 3 types of lasers:

• Diode ~ R500 - R30,000. 5W to 20W (like my little one. Cheapest, easiest to use, but least powerful of the 3 types)
  • CO2 ~ R40,000+ 40W to about 160W - (require water cooling, take up loads of space, more capable for cutting than a diode)
  • Fibre ~ R50,000+ (small work area, fast when used with a galvo head, for metals)

Here's a vid with a more detailed explanation

A decent CO2 laser is probably what you'd need (depending on the metal. Some metals will require a powerful fibre laser. So yeah, getting close to small CNC router money.

Here's my one in action doing some material test pieces (to help me dial in speed and power settings)

It cut through this 7mm ply at 80% power, 5mm/s speed, and 3 passes.

image.png.39bfdef32bfdc1f8e602fdbd1cd5fa1f.png

Also did some 9mm MDF

Took 6 passes at 80% power and 5mm/s speed to cut through.

image.png.748ae9828da79ddfd0160eddf83a5f9c.png

Ignore the smudging on the ply (right). I tried to while the char off with isopropyl alcohol and made a mess 🙈

40 minutes ago, patches said:

hahaha, yeah, AliExpress can be dangerous!

So full disclosure, I'm a noob to lasers. My education is the sum total of watching YouTube vids on my bus commute for the past 10 days.

From what I have learnt, there are 3 types of lasers:

• Diode ~ R500 - R30,000. 5W to 20W (like my little one. Cheapest, easiest to use, but least powerful of the 3 types)
  • CO2 ~ R40,000+ 40W to about 160W - (require water cooling, take up loads of space, more capable for cutting than a diode)
  • Fibre ~ R50,000+ (small work area, fast when used with a galvo head, for metals)

Here's a vid with a more detailed explanation

A decent CO2 laser is probably what you'd need (depending on the metal. Some metals will require a powerful fibre laser. So yeah, getting close to small CNC router money.

Here's my one in action doing some material test pieces (to help me dial in speed and power settings)

It cut through this 7mm ply at 80% power, 5mm/s speed, and 3 passes.

image.png.39bfdef32bfdc1f8e602fdbd1cd5fa1f.png

Also did some 9mm MDF

Took 6 passes at 80% power and 5mm/s speed to cut through.

image.png.748ae9828da79ddfd0160eddf83a5f9c.png

Ignore the smudging on the ply (right). I tried to while the char off with isopropyl alcohol and made a mess 🙈

how did you transfer the print to the boards ?

I'm envious of your tool collection

10 hours ago, patches said:

looks like a really fun tool to have around.

I have been eyeing and ArcDroid out for months now for use with plasma cutter. For me to make gussets, flanges and brackets quick and neatly it will be rather useful.

https://arcdroidcnc.com/products/pre-order-arcdroid™-cnc-table-top-plasma-robot-ships-from-asia-warehouse

47 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

how did you transfer the print to the boards ?

I'm envious of your tool collection

Thanks!

There are a few ways to send files to the laser.

Simplest is to connect the PC directly via USB and use software like Lightburn.

Next is to save the G-code file into a micro SD and insert that into the laser. Then use the touch screen controller to access the file and start the cut.

Third is to connect to the laser via it's onboard wifi hotspot, then use the app to control the machine and access files off the the phone's storage.

Fourth (and the option I use as the laser is far from my PC and I don't have Lightburn on my laptop) is to connect directly the the onboard laser wifi. Then upload the G-code file to the laser via an IP address landing page. Then go to the laser and start the cut via the toch screen controller.

Option 1, the direct PC connection gives one the most control and allows one to use tools like framing and checking laser point locations via Lightburn.

12 hours ago, patches said:

This is a useful site for making boxes.  I can see how you're going to now start making boxes for all of your other tools...:

https://en.makercase.com/

Enter your dims, material thickness, joint type and size, download the file to DXF or SVG, load it onto the laser, and away you go.

The other one where you'll find lots of useful files is 3axis.co

Looking at what you've cut, it looks like yellow MDF.  Here in ZA there are 2 types of MDF available, yellow (also known as laser or blonde MDF) and the brown MDF.  The yellow has a higher pine content, and cuts or engraves a lot better than the brown.  

When you start with acrylic's, again, 2 different types, cast and extruded.  The extruded cuts better, gives a nice clean edge, though the cast engraves better.

Masking tape is your friend, mask the area you want to engrave, this stops the smudging.

Don't cut/engrave PVC...

Just a few tricks I've learnt along the way!

On 11/18/2022 at 9:18 PM, Stretched@Birth said:

This is a useful site for making boxes.  I can see how you're going to now start making boxes for all of your other tools...:

https://en.makercase.com/

Enter your dims, material thickness, joint type and size, download the file to DXF or SVG, load it onto the laser, and away you go.

The other one where you'll find lots of useful files is 3axis.co

Looking at what you've cut, it looks like yellow MDF.  Here in ZA there are 2 types of MDF available, yellow (also known as laser or blonde MDF) and the brown MDF.  The yellow has a higher pine content, and cuts or engraves a lot better than the brown.  

When you start with acrylic's, again, 2 different types, cast and extruded.  The extruded cuts better, gives a nice clean edge, though the cast engraves better.

Masking tape is your friend, mask the area you want to engrave, this stops the smudging.

Don't cut/engrave PVC...

Just a few tricks I've learnt along the way!

Thanks for the tips! I did briefly read the no-no material list that can produce chlorine gas and other nasties.

Overall (as a laser noob) I've found the initial learning curve is quite steep with regards to speed, power, passes and materials. I should keep a notebook next to the machine and record what works and what doesn't.

I also made a massive assembly/alignment mess up and in my haste to cut something, I didn't square the gantry properly.

The result... I engraved a workspace grid in this waste-board and it's a damn rombus!

image.png.efbcdf8ca950e36cd2235205266c33c1.png

Gantry is square now, and overall working well!

6 hours ago, patches said:

How does one resist the urge to laser engrave every damn tool in the garage?

🙈

image.png.08a8061f732616e6961ac0ce6a8dd58e.png

(seemed to work pretty well on this titanium hammer head. My positioning could do with some work. It engraved even better on a blue anodised aluminium framing square)

I engraved a message and logo onto a wooden Swiss Army knife on the weekend, getting placement right was critical.  

I've cut a 90 degree corner out of 6mm MDF.  My laser's origin point is set to the top right corner of the workpiece.  I stick a piece of masking tape to the honeycomb grid, then pulse the laser to make a mark and I set that as the origin.  I then stick the corner piece so that the corner is on the pulsed mark, and stick it in place with masking tape too.  Helps to line up odd shaped work pieces, or where you require repeatability.

On the knife, I did an initial pass at 8% power and 400mm/s, so it just marked the knife.  Wasn't happy, was able to sand it out, adjust and rerun.  Once I was happy, I upped the power and ran it.

2DBD2C30-A62B-4B97-ABE2-B477DA07D840.jpeg.b200c3e11f2273d99f11bcbc15de5d07.jpeg7B352C70-2927-46A8-8975-50E06C8540A0.jpeg.4e0def1519de64452ee107e356859bf8.jpeg

Edit: Added pics

Edited by Stretched@Birth