Poor service from LBS - what to do?

boesman88

The did you book it in? ... Makes sense since a shop can only service X amount of bikes a day.

Sure, but then just say that it'll take a few days because of a backlog or whatever and then treat the walk in as the bike being booked in then.  No need to make the guy feel bad about walking through the door.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but then just say that it'll take a few days because of a backlog or whatever and then treat the walk in as the bike being booked in then.  No need to make the guy feel bad about walking through the door.  

why do you assume their intent was to make him feel bad?

"Did you book it in ?" is a general question that shops will ask to understand if its planned work or not. If you the customer feel bad because of this question then maybe take some HTFU pills.

If customers would consider that a walk in does not get attended to immediately then there would be far fewer hurt feelings.

Also consider that maybe you the customer are not that unique and that maybe 10 other people have walked in asking for their sob-stories to be attended to right now, then you'd expect the attendant to maybe be a little short on patience and smiles. Humans...go figure 

and lastly ...

millennials....!

I cant remember the last time i booked my bike in, i rock up on Monday at my LBS and ask hey can i pick my bike up Friday?have a coffee or two to waste more time not having to go back to work :ph34r:  

that said if you have a relationship with your LBS they  tell you to F off. :clap:  and then you have another coffee and leave and say ill try next week :whistling:

"Did you book it in ?" is a general question that shops will ask to understand if its planned work or not. If you the customer feel bad because of this question then maybe take some HTFU pills.

If customers would consider that a walk in does not get attended to immediately then there would be far fewer hurt feelings.

Also consider that maybe you the customer are not that unique and that maybe 10 other people have walked in asking for their sob-stories to be attended to right now, then you'd expect the attendant to maybe be a little short on patience and smiles. Humans...go figure

and lastly ...

millennials....!

Did you miss your breakfast this morning?

and lastly ...

millennials....!

I don't need HTFU pills because I received **** service. I will just not go back. They are not doing me a favor by servicing my bike without a booking. I am doing them a favor by choosing to service my bike with them. 

I don't have to be unique to get good service. But... making clients feel unique is probably one of the most important attributes a company could have in the sales and service industry. Being greeted by name in your local bike shop or restaurant goes miles in getting return business. 

Besides the fact that I am in my thirties, working in a project environent in the mining industry has not allowed me to act like a millennial. All I am asking is for good service. 

I don't need HTFU pills because I received **** service. I will just not go back. They are not doing me a favor by servicing my bike without a booking. I am doing them a favor by choosing to service my bike with them.

I don't have to be unique to get good service. But... making clients feel unique is probably one of the most important attributes a company could have in the sales and service industry. Being greeted by name in your local bike shop or restaurant goes miles in getting return business.

Besides the fact that I am in my thirties, working in a project environent in the mining industry has not allowed me to act like a millennial. All I am asking is for good service.

while it's certainly no excuse for poor service you cant really expect a bike shop to drop what they are doing and suddenly service your bike if they are busy. Business is hard to come by but equally you have to look after the business you already have...I work at a small tool and die place and we often have someone dropping by to get a bolt sparked out of something or a bit of turning or milling etc...if we can help we certainly do but if we are busy then you have to wait...

Please name the LBS, for others in your region.

As far as their admission to not knowing what next, ask for sort of refund so you can find somebody who does know what they are doing.

Its like customer service is an oxymoron these days!!!

while it's certainly no excuse for poor service you cant really expect a bike shop to drop what they are doing and suddenly service your bike if they are busy. Business is hard to come by but equally you have to look after the business you already have...I work at a small tool and die place and we often have someone dropping by to get a bolt sparked out of something or a bit of turning or milling etc...if we can help we certainly do but if we are busy then you have to wait...

Don't think he was complaining that they were busy and couldn't service his bike right then and there - was probably more about how they approached it. I often go into my LBS without making a booking and they always find out what I need before either fixing it or politely informing me that it will unfortunately have to wait till later in the week or the next week.

I rock up at my LBS with no booking often after I've broken something on the bike and they say "Did you f@$k it up again?" and I say yes and they say "Pick it up tomorrow" and I do.

I've also pitched up there 15 mins before closing time on a friday with a race on Saturday and they've said "No problem"

Bad service? I don't know what that is.

Had to take make road bike to a different shop this morning because my LBS is closing down. Walked in with my road bike, which I never ride except for the 'big' races (on my MTB about four times a week). First question I got asked is "did you book it in". Really crappy service. Looked around the shop at new bikes, as my dad is interested, and no one offered to help. 

I left my bike there, because I am pressed for time, but will probably not go back. 

Pretty fair question. I understand why bike shops would want you to book it in. Space is often at a premium and managing the amount of bikes in the shop by booking them in at any one time would also alleviate having a pile of bikes in a queue waiting to be repaired.

It's also is a question to manage a client's expectation of when his bike will be ready.

Shop: "have you booked the bike in?"

Client: "yes, booked in for today:

Shop: "great it will be ready this afternoon"

or

Shop: "have you booked the bike in?"

Client: "no I haven't"

Shop: "great, but we already have a number of bikes booked in for today and tomorrow, we can look at it on Thursday and it will be ready for you then."

Edited by Longbarn Killer

I've also pitched up there 15 mins before closing time on a friday with a race on Saturday and they've said "No problem"

I hope you arrived with beer in hand.

I do indeed!

Another thing - a couple of years ago when I crashed the day after the knysna road and mtb events and  I ended up in surgery and then flat on my back for a few weeks I got a call asking where I was because last they'd seen of me was to have my bike checked before the race and I hadn't come in to tell them how it went.

I hope you arrived with beer in hand.

Edited by Mamil

Yeah having more bikes than necessary hanging around the shop is a risk both from a damage and theft point.