Attakwas 2020

Warrenlee

Training for Attakwas 2020

endurance riding in the vineyards....start with a flat profile....maybe 3-4 hrs once week...other sessions can be around tech riding about 2hrs at a time......get a good training base....

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Attakwas is n ongelooflike race/ride, oefen hard gaan ry jou lang rides saam met vriende wat ook vir dit train, doen tenminste 2 rides aan begin Januarie van 100+km, oefen bulte in die hitte, en op die dag begin gemaklik en as jy goed voel by die Spur waterpunt 70km, dan gaan jy ok wees, neem fotos en neem alles in, as jy jou 1e Atta klaar maak en #surviveattakwas is dit n amazing gevoel. Ek mis hom volgende jaar was in n ongeluk met Taxi laas maandag en lang recovery pad wat wag, maar 2021 is ek verseker by die start! #hellofthesouth #surviveattakwas!

Edited by Steenbras

Hi, please let me know if anyone from Cape Town could give me a lift to Attakwas...

I can contribute to petrol etc.. Thanks, Megan

How many km are you guys putting in over December for the event? I have a solid base coming of training for K2C and have being doing numerous rides over 130km with a solid average speed and lots of climbing. 

I need help and guidance from you masters of the game. Need to get my head around this thing properly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I need some advice. I did some research on Biogen as they are big sponsors and their products will be available at the waterpoints. I would like to get some of their stuff especially their drinks as it will mean I carry less on the bike and can tuck in at WPs. What do you guys firstly think of their products and also what product should I be getting used to. Appreciate your assistance. 

I need some advice. I did some research on Biogen as they are big sponsors and their products will be available at the waterpoints. I would like to get some of their stuff especially their drinks as it will mean I carry less on the bike and can tuck in at WPs. What do you guys firstly think of their products and also what product should I be getting used to. Appreciate your assistance.

Do not try anything unfamiliar on the day. I downed the ice cold biogen canned drink at the top of the KOM climb last year, only to let it out again a few km later...

I did it in 2018, I changed to Biogen doing the 361 Half.  Products are fine.  Just plan your nutrition properly . 

I'm terrified .... 

My inner wuss is reminding me how much I don't like the heat, that it's 2700m in 121km in this heat ....

I'm listening to him as well as all the horror stories -  I've given myself until 220th December to make the call as to whether I'm going to flog my entry

http://1zl13gzmcsu3l9yq032yyf51-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Rocky-quote-It-aint-how-hard-you-can-hit-its-how-hard-you-get-hit-and-keep-moving-forward.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hows everyones training going? The clock us ticking down fast!

Whoop whoop! 18 days to get more ready for the hell of the south. Min dae!

I had a good week in Dullstroom area and now back in Potch flatlands. Will do hill repeats somewhere and a long ride with few intervals before Atta.

Will survive but hope to better my 2014 time on a 26er hardtail with a 29er dually. Excited much!

(Who forgot to train that wont use their entry????)

Luckily there is nothing flat where I stay (George). Been climbing Tierkop and Groenkop often! Saturday we doing the 4 Peaks. 2300m in 98km. The more iv been training and talking to guys who have done the Atta before (guys like Richard Muller who has done 13 events) I am realizing that this thing is more a head game than a physical one. Regardless of fitness its going to hurt you. 

My first one so Im super amped and poop-bang!

Whoop whoop! 18 days to get more ready for the hell of the south. Min dae!

I had a good week in Dullstroom area and now back in Potch flatlands. Will do hill repeats somewhere and a long ride with few intervals before Atta.

Will survive but hope to better my 2014 time on a 26er hardtail with a 29er dually. Excited much!

(Who forgot to train that wont use their entry)

Just remember to start easy ,the Atta is long it's hard and the climbing never ends.Take it easy for the first 60ks.

Those district roads have serious climbs and the headwind usually blows.

Number 8 for me.

Just remember to start easy ,the Atta is long it's hard and the climbing never ends.Take it easy for the first 60ks.

Those district roads have serious climbs and the headwind usually blows.

Number 8 for me.

And serious corrugated gravel road from the Hartenbos Mosselbay tar road all the way to Pine Creek. Don't know what the gravel road is like before the Hartenbos Mosselbay tar road once over the mountain. Edited by BSG