Attakwas 2020

Warrenlee

.... that doesn't look so bad squashed onto my screen like that ...

Jip it was a hard one. Il post a shot of the elevations. I am hoping this is the ride my body and brain recall on when it starts to really sore at Atta. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people and my stupid self has raced from the gun and then after water point 2 you start to feel those dogs biting. 

Have mixed feelings about this and Dale's advice to start "slow as a snail"

imo the dogs bite in the last 1/3 as the climbs&heat in the 2nd 1/3rd over the Attakwaskloof smashes you & softens you up regardless of the pace you are doing. You might as well make most of the only easy miles of the race and give it a bit of horns in the first 1/3rd

imo the dogs bite in the last 1/3 as the climbs&heat in the 2nd 1/3rd over the Attakwaskloof smashes you & softens you up regardless of the pace you are doing. You might as well make most of the only easy miles of the race and give it a bit of horns in the first 1/3rd

agreed.

IMO depends entirely on what your objective are and how well you have trained...

Actually today it looks horrific.

Jip it was a hard one. Il post a shot of the elevations. I am hoping this is the ride my body and brain recall on when it starts to really sore at Atta.

Sterkte, Bru

????????????????

I only saw your first comment now mate! I think anyone who finds that ride a breeze isnt human. 2484m in 93km hurt like hell. Also the type of ground made it worse. Its only the third climb, Montagu Pass which is gravel. The other three are all nasty loose rocks. Especially the first two. 

Was a good ride though. One of those ride you bank in your head for the hard days. 

When you come to George again let me know. Il take you to some of them - definitely not all four on the same day again though! 

Actually today it looks horrific.

Please help! I remember I saw a pacing tabel for different predicted finishing times but cant find it online again. Anyone on here with a link please? Cant find it on the Atta website and was sure thats where I saw it.

Thanks in advance.

Please help! I remember I saw a pacing tabel for different predicted finishing times but cant find it online again. Anyone on here with a link please? Cant find it on the Atta website and was sure thats where I saw it.

Thanks in advance.

Search for it last night and could not find.

Think it was a Science2Sport table done by Dr M Posthumus.

seedings will be out tomorrow

SASeeding's annual opportunity to screw me over at the start of the year...  :wacko:

Oh well, have already made peace with starting at the back - should not stand in the way of my goal next Saturday.

seedings will be out tomorrow

SASeeding's annual opportunity to screw me over at the start of the year...  :wacko:

Oh well, have already made peace with starting at the back - should not stand in the way of my goal next Saturday.

If you aren't right at the back you can usually get ahead on the 'dual single track' (thanks Epic) and the first couple of small climbs in the first 7km. 

Then that short, sharp hill up from the dam/river crossing early on also separates and spreads the field.

I find seeding at Atta not 'that' essential as most of it's pretty open. Unless you're pushing for 5 hours.

Then you need that front batch.

Good day all. My entry is available. No charge. Would've been my 5th. A back problem prevented me from riding from October. I Managed a few good rides in Grootbrak from mid December but not enough to see me through the Atta.

Please send me a pm.

Subs possible , I assume.

Edited by Blokman

Good day all. My entry is available. No charge. Would've been my 5th. A back problem prevented me from riding from October. I Managed a few good rides in Grootbrak from mid December but not enough to see me through the Atta.

Please send me a pm.

PM'd

If you aren't right at the back you can usually get ahead on the 'dual single track' (thanks Epic) and the first couple of small climbs in the first 7km. 

Then that short, sharp hill up from the dam/river crossing early on also separates and spreads the field.

I find seeding at Atta not 'that' essential as most of it's pretty open. Unless you're pushing for 5 hours.

Then you need that front batch.

Yes, going for a Sub-7, just missed it on my last attempt, I blame mostly the cramps on the last 2 climbs and not the nuisance of the crowds at the start.

Not a racing snake (except in my own head) but I do my share of races, always a bit baffled how some "uhm very social" riders manage to get seeded 2 or 3 groups ahead of me when it seems like they can barely pedal a bike...  :mellow:  - "seeding rant over"

Search for it last night and could not find.

Think it was a Science2Sport table done by Dr M Posthumus.

Yes Mike worked it out. Very handy but cant find it now. I will use my previous time and cut a few minutes of between every waterpoint and see if I can make it. Hope to get a sub six but need the stars to align for it to happen. Excitement is growing day by day. Its gonna be epic!