Touch adjust tool now available in limited edition colours

News bot

Are the tool bits also cnc'd out/forged of alloy and then heat treated?

Shouldn't they be tool steel?

Hi!

The toolbits start off as 420 stainless steel rod, CNC lathed, then CNC machined for the pivot and tip area, then heat treated to 50 HRC, then tumble polished for the finish... so they are hard, very corrosion resistant and not brittle at all. Bolts are made with same material and heat treatment.

Tool steel is general collection of alloyed steels that harden from various processes, depending on the use they vary a lot. For example, tool steel made for a file is extremely hard but brittle, it snaps under pressure, but can keep a sharp edge better than a softer steel, but the softer steel will not snap as easily, such as used for Allen keys etc. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks amazing. One hint for an even smaller version. I've been looking for a simple tool with a 5mm allen on one end and 4mm on the other. That's it - like a steel stick. Can't believe no one makes it.

Hi, thanks! I know what you mean... I think I have seen them before, they came with some furniture sets that need assembly. Like a Torx T25/T10 dual combo "L" shape tool that comes with avid brakes often... I have some ideas for very light simple tools... I will let you know if they come into fruition ;)

:eek:  for 900 hundred ronds 

I actually haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but just checked my email to look up a date.

22 June 2010 - that's when the designer (can I call him mr touch now?) of this sent out a survey about multi tools.

".....And a final open question: What do you find most problematic about your current setup of tools while biking?

Many thanks again. Look forward to reading your answers on Thursday evening ;)"

He has been planning this for a long time, I'd be in the "tool for life" camp without even inspecting one. This is obviously not for everyone, in the same way you can buy a garmin for R10k, a seiko for R50k or a xonix for R100 there should be a premium option for multitools.

I actually haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but just checked my email to look up a date.

22 June 2010 - that's when the designer (can I call him mr touch now?) of this sent out a survey about multi tools.

".....And a final open question: What do you find most problematic about your current setup of tools while biking?

Many thanks again. Look forward to reading your answers on Thursday evening ;)"

He has been planning this for a long time, I'd be in the "tool for life" camp without even inspecting one. This is obviously not for everyone, in the same way you can buy a garmin for R10k, a seiko for R50k or a xonix for R100 there should be a premium option for multitools.

Hey Shebeen, very observant! yes, it has been a long time coming...

You can call me Raoul haha.

It is hard to compete with other tool manufacturers as they produce many thousands of them at a time to lower the cost, and at the same time they are generally discarded when one tool wears out, or they corrode.

I am trying to change this with my brand as I believe it is not ultimately sustainable. But everyone has a choice in life and that is great! Choices are great...

So competing with other tools on price is difficult, and the cost to manufacture these Touch adjust parts is expensive. So people have no real issue spending a lot of money on certain products without knowing what the cost to make them is, much like bicycle tyres, grips, chainrings etc. People are accustomed to spending little money on tools as they are made by factories in extremely large quantities to get the cost to consumer down, that is how industry works in general...

I choose to use a tool without a chain breaker attached as I find it gets in the way of using the tool effectively. The chain breaker I hope I never use... I last used one a few years ago on a trail... so for me to have a chain breaker on the tool every time I adjust my saddle, bar, headset etc, is not worth it... I have a small chain breaker that goes in my pocket. If one is breaking a chain often I would seriously consider investigating why, it is not normal!

So I hope that with what I can offer, after the tool is used for many many years, one can think back and see that it is actually saving one money, and at the same time a pleasure to use ( I hope :P ).

There are other products in the pipeline that are more performance based products, and am excited to get them out there.

I realise a bicycle tool does not make one go faster, but being able to adjust the bike effectively will!

my thoughts too... 

for me a chain breaker is a MUST on a multi tool.

cool product tho!

Have to agree, i wont buy a tool unless there is a chain breaker.  I don't see the point in carrying multiple tools and wont.

Have to agree, i wont buy a tool unless there is a chain breaker.  I don't see the point in carrying multiple tools and wont.

Chain breaker is important for many people to have. I used multi tools with chain breakers on them over the years, problem I have is that as the narrower chains get stronger (10/11/12 speed), the pins are riveted on so well that unless the chain tool has good leverage it gets really hard to break the pin through the plates. There is usually a lot of leverage available on the pin of the tool to drive forward, but holding onto the small chain tool body is hard work, it wants to twist with the turning of the pin.

But there are some out there that work well all combined when the chain lever body is long enough to hold onto! I still find them cumbersome to use overall, so choose separate tools for better use in what they do in isolation. Thanks for the feedback!

P.s. I also find combined multi tools with chain breakers very heavy, and becomes a solid lump in one of my cycling pockets which I find very off putting. Spreading the items between pockets makes it far less noticeable to me...

Interesting concept ... being able to "make" your own lightweight and compact tool for YOUR bike.

For now I carry tools for TWO bikes, totally different types of bikes and thus have larger tool sets to be able to cope with a wider range of trail issues ....  The irony that the ONE time I needed it at Meerendal the tool bag was left in the car ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:   I have used the tools often on trails and fun rides to help others. 

I have also used the WoolfTooth tool to open quick links on trails.  Thankfully have not needed a chain breaker on a trail

For weight weenie racers ... it is a no brainer  (the tool, not the racer)

For my commuter .... tempting to get something like this ....

certainly a very nice piece of kit !  :thumbup:

Chain breaker is important for many people to have. I used multi tools with chain breakers on them over the years, problem I have is that as the narrower chains get stronger (10/11/12 speed), the pins are riveted on so well that unless the chain tool has good leverage it gets really hard to break the pin through the plates. There is usually a lot of leverage available on the pin of the tool to drive forward, but holding onto the small chain tool body is hard work, it wants to twist with the turning of the pin.

But there are some out there that work well all combined when the chain lever body is long enough to hold onto! I still find them cumbersome to use overall, so choose separate tools for better use in what they do in isolation. Thanks for the feedback!

P.s. I also find combined multi tools with chain breakers very heavy, and becomes a solid lump in one of my cycling pockets which I find very off putting. Spreading the items between pockets makes it far less noticeable to me...

I'd like to see a chain breaker integrated into your current tool architecture but as a separate slide on unit. So using the two chassis plates but with a a gutter that the two toiols can slide into each if one so chooses. I don't oftern carry a chain breaker on a road ride but I do on a MTB ride. So the choice to configure the tool with the chain breaker or not would be great. Using the chassis as the holder also gives the necessary leverage.

I can see you have gven this tool a lot of thought so I know you understand what I'm saying.

Thebeaty of your product is that upgrades can be added on later without the owner having to incur the purchase of a totally new tool. I have about 6 multi tools at home as a result of this. Its frustrating and wasteful . Bad Feng Shui.

Tools i'd like to see added in future: 

1) Chain Breaker

2) tyre plug driver

3) Disc caliper spreader

4) powerlink breaker

5) Powerlink holder

these could all be in a separate  chassis 

A chain breaker is the difference between having an issue and fixing it yourself and still enjoying your ride, else ending your ride and calling an uber/wife/friend or potential long walk back to the car.... so is a no brainer.  And for me one tool per bike rather than trying to remember to move a number of tools around depending on the ride.

If you want to design a tool and save weight, multi-tools with a 4mm, 5mm or 6mm and maybe a T25 with a chain breaker will be sufficient for most bikes these days and unlikely to be heavy.

So if you had a way of incorporating a chain breaker into your 2X option it would be of interest.

And I agree with you getting the pins out is getting harder with each new chain I get whether replacing once stretched or through breaking..... but not impossible, even when out on a ride.

A chain breaker is the difference between having an issue and fixing it yourself and still enjoying your ride, else ending your ride and calling an uber/wife/friend or potential long walk back to the car.... so is a no brainer.  And for me one tool per bike rather than trying to remember to move a number of tools around depending on the ride.

If you want to design a tool and save weight, multi-tools with a 4mm, 5mm or 6mm and maybe a T25 with a chain breaker will be sufficient for most bikes these days and unlikely to be heavy.

So if you had a way of incorporating a chain breaker into your 2X option it would be of interest.

And I agree with you getting the pins out is getting harder with each new chain I get whether replacing once stretched or through breaking..... but not impossible, even when out on a ride.

Hi Shaper and DieselnDust, thanks for the feedback! I understand some people would like one tool with everything on it, including a chain breaker.

I have a very light and functional chain breaker design, but not in production yet... it is a stand alone product that combines another tool with it ;)

Having it part of the Touch adjust tool still makes no real functional sense to me as it makes the tool big and clumsy... and if it means I need to spend time and energy to separate the two to use either of them, it has lost its magic for me.

I agree chain tools are important!! I carry one on every ride for many years now, but only used it once during a ride - I think on someone else's bike haha! Some people may break chains more often, but most people I speak to have only used one on a ride once in 2 years or far less often. Especially if you ride alone a lot, its survival to have one, as long as you know how i to use it...

I will take all perspectives into consideration, but still need to keep the core values of my products within my scope, which is a highly efficient, long and lightweight stand alone toolset that is a pleasure to use for it's core function of adjusting ones bike or taking off through axles etc, and is customisable to your bike and parts used and highly durable/corrosion resistant.

In terms of what I carry on a ride that I must remember, it is quite a few things but easy:

Tool, small pump, plug kit and some extra valve cores for mtb or patch kit with tyre lever for road ride, chain tool, money, phone, keys + food for longer rides.

So amongst what I need to carry, for me to grab the mini chain tool is very easy for each ride... it is in plain sight with all my stuff and gets elastic banded to either my patch kit or plug kit, takes me around 3 seconds to swap it between the two depending on road or mtb ride.

I carry things in my cycling pockets as I hate wearing hydration packs, they limit my body english on mtb rides - each to their own though, whatever works for you.

The integration of many tools in one item I find makes the use of them less than ideal... especially if one or two of the tools is used only very seldom. Bulky tools also often cant reach certain bolts on the bike etc, and can also scratch nearby surfaces of the bike and parts.

The screwdriver tip spoke key works well as a disc pad opener ;) one can get them open a little and then follow up with 2.5mm Allen key.

Ultimately it is the riders choice to build the Touch adjust tool how they like and adapt it to different bikes over the years, or even slim it down for a race if needed, build it back up for longer rides in the mountains.

It is not a do everything tool that weighs a lot. There are many of those tools already in existence... some may be lighter than others with less overall functions, some people may like using them, I dont! And many people may not like to use them either ideally... but knowing they have everything is safety for them, no problem if this is what is best for you.

However the Touch adjust tool in terms of using it functionally I feel gets close to having all the tools you need in a personal setup with long leverage setup, without the heft of workshop size tools. 

Maybe I've had bad multitools in the past but I've not had a chain breaker on a multi tool that has worked well. I carry a seperate Mini Chainbreaker from KMC and it's great. 25g and has one purpose. Any chain tool has to have a replaceable pin. 

kmc-mini-chain-pin-removal-tool-1.jpg

Maybe I've had bad multitools in the past but I've not had a chain breaker on a multi tool that has worked well. I carry a seperate Mini Chainbreaker from KMC and it's great. 25g and has one purpose. Any chain tool has to have a replaceable pin. 

kmc-mini-chain-pin-removal-tool-1.jpg

that is a smart piece of metal!

I'd like to see a chain breaker integrated into your current tool architecture but as a separate slide on unit. So using the two chassis plates but with a a gutter that the two toiols can slide into each if one so chooses. I don't oftern carry a chain breaker on a road ride but I do on a MTB ride. So the choice to configure the tool with the chain breaker or not would be great. Using the chassis as the holder also gives the necessary leverage.

I can see you have gven this tool a lot of thought so I know you understand what I'm saying.

Thebeaty of your product is that upgrades can be added on later without the owner having to incur the purchase of a totally new tool. I have about 6 multi tools at home as a result of this. Its frustrating and wasteful . Bad Feng Shui.

Tools i'd like to see added in future: 

1) Chain Breaker

2) tyre plug driver

3) Disc caliper spreader

4) powerlink breaker

5) Powerlink holder

these could all be in a separate  chassis 

Hi DieselnDust, thanks for the feedback again... thought I would add some answers here too.

For the tyre plug driver, having it as a folding part on the tool can be dangerous as it can fold onto ones fingers under pressure... but I have an idea for one (separate again, but more useful than current ones).

For powerlink tools, during a ride I don't see the necessity. If one breaks a chain, one needs to remove outer plates using chain breaker to get two female portions of the chain and fit new powerlink, using pedal pressure one can snap it into place easily. One can easily do this with chain off the front chainring then pull chain onto the ring after the link is in place but not fully clipped in. At least this is my experience working on bicycles for a lot of my life... I like to carry as little as possible, but still have highly functional and durable and lightweight tools/gear.

I will see when I can get my chain breaker to market... busy with performance MTB XC-trail/Enduro/DH product now, excited to get it out there asap!

And as you mentioned, limiting the need to buy extra tools to work with new bikes and parts is my goal!