Touch adjust tool now available in limited edition colours

News bot

It is obviously impractical to carry tools for "all eventualities" ....

But the K2C, S2C, W2W, etc crowd certainly would want enough of a range to be reasonably self sufficient ... 

At the 2019 Fine Breede fun ride a kid fell and damaged the rear derailure ... locking the chain and wheel .... he was literally carrying his bike back to the start.  Thanks the Wolf Tooth chain tool I was able to remove his chain quickly, and he could get on his bike and freewheel 3km back to the start.  The truly nice thing about the Wolf Tooth tool is that it is also your tire levers (taking up less space than traditional tire levers), AND it is storage space for spare quick links

This is one game where there certainly is no one single answer that fits all.  The further we go off the beaten track, and the further away from support the bigger the tool bag ....

That said, I DO like the idea of the Touch tool  .... for those rides where I dont want to carry a ton of tools ....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obviously impractical to carry tools for "all eventualities" ....

But the K2C, S2C, W2W, etc crowd certainly would want enough of a range to be reasonably self sufficient ... 

At the 2019 Fine Breede fun ride a kid fell and damaged the rear derailure ... locking the chain and wheel .... he was literally carrying his bike back to the start.  Thanks the Wolf Tooth chain tool I was able to remove his chain quickly, and he could get on his bike and freewheel 3km back to the start.  The truly nice thing about the Wolf Tooth tool is that it is also your tire levers (taking up less space than traditional tire levers), AND it is storage space for spare quick links

This is one game where there certainly is no one single answer that fits all.  The further we go off the beaten track, and the further away from support the bigger the tool bag ....

That said, I DO like the idea of the Touch tool  .... for those rides where I dont want to carry a ton of tools ....

Yeah hence I like the Touch so much. Even if Raoul does not use the tools or see a need i would like to convince him theres a market for a high quality tool that allows the user to configure it in whatever way they please for the eventuality and the choices could/should include those tools we may never need but for that one day.

I've owned a headdoctor for some 16years. Its seen occasional use but at WIne2Whales it was super busy on my teamies bike. Flip it was an unchained melody. Chain breaker was the saviour and I was tempted to throw the light weigh parktool in my back pocket instead. Glad I didn't. 

I like that KMC chain breaker option. Who does those beauts in SA because I think it may be the answer in combination with the right TOUCH

Yeah hence I like the Touch so much. Even if Raoul does not use the tools or see a need i would like to convince him theres a market for a high quality tool that allows the user to configure it in whatever way they please for the eventuality and the choices could/should include those tools we may never need but for that one day.

I've owned a headdoctor for some 16years. Its seen occasional use but at WIne2Whales it was super busy on my teamies bike. Flip it was an unchained melody. Chain breaker was the saviour and I was tempted to throw the light weigh parktool in my back pocket instead. Glad I didn't. 

I like that KMC chain breaker option. Who does those beauts in SA because I think it may be the answer in combination with the right TOUCH

Hi again! 

I am willing to develop more products as people wish, if you have a million rand spare to give me I will design and produce them over the next year no problemo hehe.

I still stand that I cant see the real benefit of having all the tools in one big bundle... the more one tries to integrate the tools, the less functional their performance becomes and the more they may infringe on the ergonomics etc. Similar to one bike that does everything, great, but not that enjoyable or good at a specific job. I think the way products have become more do everything in one shape/size, the less of a good job they do -  but the sales benefits on paper are big. And the fact that one may not use them often, why put them all in one tool... keep them separate, lightweight, small and easy to store and replace if one of them breaks or wears out.

There is a lot of competition in the market for large multi tools with everything on them... and I can see why people buy them, however, the bulk, weight and clumsiness of them is very off putting to me.

I have spent around 30 years of my life working on bikes with everything from original Cool Tool, to loose Allen keys, various multi tools, workshop tools etc. And seeing tools round off, corrode, fall apart, break, while often being heavy, short, bulky, thrown away because one toolbit was broken etc, I needed to try find a better solution... something that bridged an "L" bend Allen key simplicity and agility, with a workshop "L" reach and leverage and a multi tool setup for ultimate compact riding use satisfaction, durability, lightweight, slimness, customisation etc... bringing a workshop tools library of tools needed to work efficiently on all the bolts into a riding tool.

I think the key part of Touch adjust tool is also in the way it can be used. Easy to spin in the hand, twisting the end like a butterfly nut with no protruding pieces dragging on the hand or gloves, using extended to reach that post mount disc brake bolt behind the seatstay, feeling the torque while tightening a clamp onto carbon  parts because of the length and rigidity of all the parts - its feedback is great, all able to do this with gloves on while hands are freezing cold because it is easy to get the toolbits out from the frame etc, not needing to try pry out a toolbit from a closed framework.

I know I cant please everyone : ) But I try to solve many problems with current tools on the market that I have noticed, and am aware that one needs other tools to ride with too, and there are many chain breakers, tyre levers, plug tools out there that are amazing. I hope to get my other ideas out there soon, but it takes lots of time and finances to produce all of them in the high quantities that the factories require... am very happy to get this feedback, and hope that I can implement it in the future!

The tool market is over-saturated, if you look online in Europe for example and see the amount of tools available, many of them trying to out do each other on qty of functions etc, or how small they can get, or new functions that don't really hit the mark, I think the core function of them is being whittled away to enable one to comfortably work on a bicycle anywhere on this planet with a multitude of environments, weather conditions, bike designs etc.

That is my take on it, or my expression of my experience with bicycle tools. Nothing is right or wrong choice, but glad I can get this tool out there, been a long journey of bike tools in my life haha.

Hi!

The toolbits start off as 420 stainless steel rod, CNC lathed, then CNC machined for the pivot and tip area, then heat treated to 50 HRC, then tumble polished for the finish... so they are hard, very corrosion resistant and not brittle at all. Bolts are made with same material and heat treatment.

Tool steel is general collection of alloyed steels that harden from various processes, depending on the use they vary a lot. For example, tool steel made for a file is extremely hard but brittle, it snaps under pressure, but can keep a sharp edge better than a softer steel, but the softer steel will not snap as easily, such as used for Allen keys etc. 

As someone who understands the process I can say that is an immense amount of work.

Finding the correct blend of ductile vs durable is difficult and takes a lot of R&D work.

Its much easier to understand high quality workmanship like this when it is in your hands. 

If I could make a suggestion....

if you make an option to buy extra set of side covers and 1 extra bit, then the uses could build 2 permanent tools and then carry one on short rides and 2 on long rides with out having to reconstruct it each time.

Great product. 

Good luck

I always take a chain tool on mtb rides.

(Buy not road)

I like having all the tools stored in 1 bundle, to be able to grab quickly out of the Camelbak. They dont all have to be stuck together, just packed so.

exactly

so i'd be happy with a second tool contained the otherstuff. I'll make my own holder

Hi,

Are you considering international shipping or do you have a distributor in the UK?

Hi BigDL, I can ship internationally... please email me on info@bike-touch.com.... I'll get your location and quote for delivery (it varies from R700-1200 in my experience - can also send a few to make it more worthwhile as quite a few can fit in A3 bag).

I am discussing with some people in Europe to have online shop/distribution that side. Currently, the cost of the tool is very high to produce, so selling to distributor that then sells to shops would mean the retail price will get much higher to make it feasible for them... and for me. Shops want to have high markup on accessories etc. At the moment the retail price is already making people baulk, so selling direct seems best option to make it feasible for the customer.

If I could make a suggestion....

if you make an option to buy extra set of side covers and 1 extra bit, then the uses could build 2 permanent tools and then carry one on short rides and 2 on long rides with out having to reconstruct it each time.

Great product. 

Good luck

Hi AdamA!

Yes, I have got many ideas of how to sell all the parts separately, even shops to have all the parts and customers to have them custom built for their bike etc. (Edit - to be honest, making the decision on what to sell as a toolset took me a long time - so many options of what to provide, how many tools to make from a kit etc.)

Your idea of them used as two tools is very much like my original concept I did 9 years ago... I had a stacking design using magnets... but the project got steered to its current form for various reasons : )

I also have another idea that may come into fruition for a really small/light cost effective version using just 2 or so toolbits... I will let you know! If it is something you would like to try, please keep in touch - if you buy a toolset, I can send you some extra parts to test it out using the toolbits.

At the moment I don't have many spares to use, just complete sets, so am ambivalent to split them up unless its urgent need.

Thanks for the comments and suggestion!

I'd like to see a chain breaker integrated into your current tool architecture but as a separate slide on unit. So using the two chassis plates but with a a gutter that the two toiols can slide into each if one so chooses. I don't oftern carry a chain breaker on a road ride but I do on a MTB ride. So the choice to configure the tool with the chain breaker or not would be great. Using the chassis as the holder also gives the necessary leverage.

snip

shouldn't be that difficult to design something modular to fit the touch...

post-64325-0-15933800-1573796532_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-79371300-1573796539_thumb.jpeg

I was really impressed with the build quality when I saw this at my LBS but I have a OneUp EDC tool. My friends gave me for my birthday lives on my bike, it's very handy with a chainbreaker and spare links.

shouldn't be that difficult to design something modular to fit the touch...

Hi Morne,

Thanks!

I am very aware of all the tools out in the market... I spent many months dealing with the factory that make Topeak tools, but they could not do what I wanted in the end.

If I wanted to sell a product that is similar to what is out there already, I would just add my logo onto an existing design, many people do this in the bicycle industry with various products... It is just not the direction I want to go. Unless I feel I can evolve a products use/experience, I don't want to make it as there is so much choice out there already!

From my experience with modern bike technology, tyre levers and chain tools are seldom used on a ride... but they are needed!

Back in the day before tubeless and better chain production techniques I would be using tyre levers and chain tools a lot more often... but these days it is very much only on occasion - I don't even carry a tyre lever when I mtb.

The tool that one uses most, and that I want to encourage people to use, is a toolset to adjust their bike during rides.

Tweak that bar position, saddle tilt, brake lever angle, shifter position, pedal cleat tension, caliper position to stop rubbing, seatpost height, tighten headset etc.

I see so many people riding their bikes and complaining of comfort issues and their cleats too tight or loose. When what they need to do is start playing with their setup more, get accustomed to the different positions one adjusts the various parts on the bike etc, this all makes a huge difference to the riding feel, comfort, speed and handling one can manage on a bicycle.

The Touch adjust tool is the tool for this... it is designed to be quickly used to adjust the bike on the go, and the pleasure of using it I hope encourages people to play with their bike setup. Fixing a bike on the trail is hopefully not that common, bicycle technology is really good these days, and unless the bike has been assembled and maintained badly, or very cheap parts used, not a lot goes wrong on most rides.

For me, if I have to spend a minute just to get to my tool, and then take glove off to use it properly... sorry, it is just too much time and effort, and limits me wanting to adjust the bike.

I wonder how many people have ridden their bikes for months where during the ride they think, when I get home I will adjust my bar or saddle etc, and then when you get home, you never do it, one forgets!

I do plan to write some articles on bike setup on my website to help people understand more about this. And open to run a workshop for bicycle setup where people can start understanding how bar tilt can change your whole ride feel - just a small example. Suspension setup, tyre pressure, derailleur adjustments, how to tighten a headset, saddle positioning and how it affects ones riding when one changes it.

I see riders with bars tilted down on their mtb... its terrible on the wrists. Brake levers tilted flat and too close to the grip area so the hand is so crunched in when trying to brake, especially when they stand up. Shift levers so close to grip that the hand rubs on it.

Many riders know how to set their bike up, but majority don't... and I hope that my Touch adjust tool will encourage one to start this process from the fact that one needs to build the tool according to what your bike needs. You will need to check your bike out carefully and make the best decision!

I know this comment is bit off topic, but just trying to show the understanding behind the relationship one can have with ones bike and the tools and where I see my brand going with the products I will release - not just tools : )

On all my bikes I get a proper bike fit done, whether road, tri or MTB.  Tweaking a setup on a ride will not happen.  The tools are there ONLY if something comes loose and needs tightening or fixing. 99% of the time, the tool is not required, but there is that 1% when it is needed.

Edit: will also add that I build all of my bikes and change bolts so that i only need a 4 & 5mm allen key, a chain breaker and tyre lever, so can reduce my tools down to bare minimum

Edited by shaper

On all my bikes I get a proper bike fit done, whether road, tri or MTB.  Tweaking a setup on a ride will not happen.  The tools are there ONLY if something comes loose and needs tightening or fixing. 99% of the time, the tool is not required, but there is that 1% when it is needed.

Edit: will also add that I build all of my bikes and change bolts so that i only need a 4 & 5mm allen key, a chain breaker and tyre lever, so can reduce my tools down to bare minimum

That's fine if you trust that other people know how YOUR bike should be setup for your OWN BODY haha! I don't know how it could be accurate to be honest! How one rides and handles a bike and body movement is very different for everyone... it is something one needs to cultivate awareness of. I guarantee you all the top pros adjust their bikes a lot to find the best fit and handling of their machines while out on the trail or road.

Good idea to change bolts... but many adjustments to various parts are definitely smaller than 4mm Allen keys...

Glad you have found what works for you : )

That's fine if you trust that other people know how YOUR bike should be setup for your OWN BODY haha! I don't know how it could be accurate to be honest! How one rides and handles a bike and body movement is very different for everyone... it is something one needs to cultivate awareness of. I guarantee you all the top pros adjust their bikes a lot to find the best fit and handling of their machines while out on the trail or road.

Good idea to change bolts... but many adjustments to various parts are definitely smaller than 4mm Allen keys...

Glad you have found what works for you : )

Find a reputable fitter and discuss riding style and setup, so that bike is set up for your own body.  Bikes often change over the years, so does body shape and flexibility, so bike set up will also change and checked with the bike change.  Even if I don't change bikes,.I do go back every 18 months or so for a check and possible modification as I get older

But as mentioned and I think you are looking into it... having a number of additional tools that you can buy individually and separate from current, so that over time you can modify the touch adjust to your needs.  The casing is in essence is the toolbox and you choose (adjust) what tools you want to put inside it.... now that would be cool and hopefully you will develop something along those lines.  Good luck!

Edited by shaper