[Event] Coronation Double Century 2019

DieselnDust

And the half hour stops need to be removed. You can stop for as long as you want but the clock keeps ticking.

The way it always was and the way it always should be.

It is also going to be interesting to see how the times change after the roadworks are completed. Even with the hour lunch breaks I foresee times getting to be 30 to 45 minutes longer at the pointy end.

This will also change the team dynamic. Do you drop a strong rider early on with a puncture knowing he can make it back in the 1st or 2nd half hour free period.

Yeah, its a different beast now with 280 odd teams. A massive amount of passing happens in the neutral area in montagu and the Ashton and Bonnivale stops. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the roadworks section, I think it's perfect as it is. The neutral zones add to the vibe of the whole event, as does the faster teams starting last. Overtaking teams does slow you down a little, but it's not that bad and adds to the gees. Imagine the lonely day out if you're the slowest team and you start last.

The 30 min stops again is saftey thing

was 280 teams this year, 2km long feeding zones.  Takes about 5-10 mins just to get to your car, now imagine 3000 riders racing past people running to the loo, Having chat in middle road. Falling over cooler boxes etc.   Just not my idea of fun..

This was my 4th DC and wont change a thing..  it just works... just wish legs would as well to the end..

Watching from the side is was awesome to see the way family and friends came together to support their teams.

The vibe inside these zones is certainly very much part of the day.

I dont think the format should change, I just think the drafting rules need to be enforced a little bit more, as its the breaking of the no drafting rules that leads to large bunches forming, which in turn makes the passing more difficult and dangerous.

I think the format has been debated quite a few times here on the hub, clearly the current format is a compromise but no one has been able to come up with a better format.

Personally I would prefer the drafting rule to be strictly enforced but I think the field is just too big for the rule to be practical, seems inevitable that bunches will merge so maybe better that the marshals just look the other way.

I think the format has been debated quite a few times here on the hub, clearly the current format is a compromise but no one has been able to come up with a better format.

Personally I would prefer the drafting rule to be strictly enforced but I think the field is just too big for the rule to be practical, seems inevitable that bunches will merge so maybe better that the marshals just look the other way.

I think Hartlief must have towed a few of teams to a PB. Jack is a monster.

That or people can just take responsibility for themselves and not draft. Its effectively the same as eBiking the DC :P

It was my first DC as a spectator. I had no idea of the format. I assumed the first team off would be one of the faster teams. So I calculated an approximate finishing time and walked to the finish with the dog. There was no banner, mats or spectators at all.

I walked back home and read the rules. So I assumed my finishing time was wrong because of the feeding and neutral zone. So I went back to the finish at 10 and the finish line crew had just arrived. I had a chat to the camera lady who told me the first team was in Montague. Now I'm totally confused.

So I went back home again, had a cup of coffee and tried again at 11h30. I knew the distance to the finish from Montague and estimated the fastest team would be arriving that time.

12h55 the first team arrived and it was a mixed team, second team home was a group of six ladies. After the 10th team arrived it just became a blur of teams all over the road.

I now understand the concept of the starting times, but as a spectator we are really in the dark as far as who is leading the race.

That or people can just take responsibility for themselves and not draft. Its effectively the same as eBiking the DC :P

there was an ebike mtb in the bike park... ....

Edited by Karman de Lange

There were eBikes there!!!! The horror, although even I managed to drop them on the sisters

It was my first DC as a spectator. I had no idea of the format. I assumed the first team off would be one of the faster teams. So I calculated an approximate finishing time and walked to the finish with the dog. There was no banner, mats or spectators at all.

I walked back home and read the rules. So I assumed my finishing time was wrong because of the feeding and neutral zone. So I went back to the finish at 10 and the finish line crew had just arrived. I had a chat to the camera lady who told me the first team was in Montague. Now I'm totally confused.

So I went back home again, had a cup of coffee and tried again at 11h30. I knew the distance to the finish from Montague and estimated the fastest team would be arriving that time.

12h55 the first team arrived and it was a mixed team, second team home was a group of six ladies. After the 10th team arrived it just became a blur of teams all over the road.

I now understand the concept of the starting times, but as a spectator we are really in the dark as far as who is leading the race.

You really earned you Hub name didn't you :P

Our Lady rider has whiplash and a concussion and is now feeling groovy on some specialty meds.

Our Gent who came down has a stable supra-pubic fracture of his pelvis. we are awaiting Drs feedback. but in general 6 weeks bedrest is the norm for these fractures.