What would it take to do the CT cycle race in 3hrs?

braamverster

Genuine question, if they staged it like the marathon record thing behind some e-bikes etc, would a sub 2 be possible? that's like average 55kph. I have no idea what that would be in FTP, I am a simple man, get on my bike and pedal. High heart rate means I am pushing hard etc........ Have no idea about power and FTP or what it even means.

I read the back-story of that sub-2 marathon just last night - absolutely fascinating!  

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50460861)

I reckon you'd need to flatten all them hills on the Argust route and then some...

World 1 hour record is 56km or thereabouts, on a track - I reckon it would be near impossible to do 109km in 2 hours even on a track.. You'd probably need a course with no wind / tailwinds, mostly downhill, minimal bends & turns...

And then you'll need a vegan with the right gearing to launch an attempt...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the record for a faired recumbent? 2h and quite a lot of change? Wiki says 2h16 at 46.1 kph AV.

Would think any aero advantage beyond that would be minimal???

So more power? To your point. ..don't know what that means as W/kg.

Genuine question, if they staged it like the marathon record thing behind some e-bikes etc, would a sub 2 be possible? that's like average 55kph. I have no idea what that would be in FTP, I am a simple man, get on my bike and pedal. High heart rate means I am pushing hard etc........ Have no idea about power and FTP or what it even means.

I read the back-story of that sub-2 marathon just last night - absolutely fascinating!  

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50460861)

I reckon you'd need to flatten all them hills on the Argust route and then some...

World 1 hour record is 56km or thereabouts, on a track - I reckon it would be near impossible to do 109km in 2 hours even on a track.. You'd probably need a course with no wind / tailwinds, mostly downhill, minimal bends & turns...

And then you'll need a vegan with the right gearing to launch an attempt...

HAHAHAHA best part of the reply.

Yeah on paper it looks impossible especially if you only sucking wheel behind something the same size as you. BUT if they had to build a vehicle like the one used for the world record on a bicycle that actually sucks you in then possibly. But that is also loosing the effect of pushing the human body to the limit like Kipchoge did.

post-58906-0-91359400-1574321689_thumb.jpg

in a car, on a normal day, you'll be hard pressed to do it in 2 hours

Yeah definitely. It would have to be full closure like race day. Kinda like why they did the running thing separate as they said in a real race it will be too congested and hence his record doesn't officially stand as the marathon record.

A couple of times on this thread alone I've seen people refer to the Argus as "The Argust". But I've seen it many times elsewhere too. It happens too often to be a typo. Is it some sort of old joke because it's almost always windy? Genuine question.  

A couple of times on this thread alone I've seen people refer to the Argus as "The Argust". But I've seen it many times elsewhere too. It happens too often to be a typo. Is it some sort of old joke because it's almost always windy? Genuine question.  

Or the August.

Just a bit of tongue in cheek, as a lot of people miss-pronounce it like that.

A lot of people I know that are not from Cape Town and don't really ride never actually knew the race was sponsored by the paper and just thought it was some random name and when they heard it it sounded like argust to them. It used to infuriate me, I was like its Argus as in the newspaper. That was often followed by a blank look on their face. So I think now it has just become a joke. Even though its now the CTCT, I still say Argus.

very good question.

so basically we're looking at world tour peleton with no tactical shenangians. There's probably enough data to see how far off world tour our local races are in terms of average speed - unlikely it's the 15% required.

if 55kph possible on the 109km argus course?

There's very few races this "short", but this is probably a good guess

panflat 135km with a tailwind was 56km/h..mr south easter could rock up at the right time for this.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/tour-qatar-stage-four-fastest-road-race-history-114642

so i think it is possible.

but you'd need to assemble the world's best riders and that's unlikely so we'll never know.

hehehe.

How's your new dale doing? Enjoying the disks?

Awesome piece of bike.........discs...............not a big fan.........

But the bike I thoroughly enjoy.

I should now take it down to CT and see if it also can do a sub 3......... :whistling:

very good question.

so basically we're looking at world tour peleton with no tactical shenangians. There's probably enough data to see how far off world tour our local races are in terms of average speed - unlikely it's the 15% required.

if 55kph possible on the 109km argus course?

There's very few races this "short", but this is probably a good guess

panflat 135km with a tailwind was 56km/h..mr south easter could rock up at the right time for this.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/tour-qatar-stage-four-fastest-road-race-history-114642

so i think it is possible.

but you'd need to assemble the world's best riders and that's unlikely so we'll never know.

A few top cx(WvA, MvDP) guys and a few top TT(PR, RD, VC, TD) guys and this could be on. Add massive money from some sponsor like ineos  and we could give the hout bay residents more to complain about. 

Awesome piece of bike.........discs...............not a big fan.........

But the bike I thoroughly enjoy.

I should now take it down to CT and see if it also can do a sub 3......... :whistling:

Coffee ride for you!!!!