What would it take to do the CT cycle race in 3hrs?

braamverster

IMHO, I reckon you need an FTP of 3.75 to 4 W/kg. And a decent seeding, although if you riding at that FTP then you seeding would naturally be fairly decent, assuming you have done at least 1 race. 

The rest comes down to luck on the day in terms of weather, wind, crashes etc. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, I reckon you need an FTP of 3.75 to 4 W/kg. And a decent seeding, although if you riding at that FTP then you seeding would naturally be fairly decent, assuming you have done at least 1 race. 

I look at it this way - this year only 6 riders outside the elites made Sub-3. Last year it was a 1000 riders outside the elites ( and I'm certain a whole lot of them had mediocre FTP's)

One thing I take from that is that if your group is not riding a Sub-3 you are also not going to no matter what your FTP is, and if your group is riding a Sub-3 you don't need a special FTP to keep up. So imo a bit pointless to focus on some FTP number and think that will get you to a sub-3.

Go ride and do road races and learn how to keep up with 2nd or 3rd group and if your seeding is right you are in the mix when the weather is kind. (Disclaimer - I have never been a technical minded cyclist)

I look at it this way - this year only 6 riders outside the elites made Sub-3. Last year it was a 1000 riders outside the elites ( and I'm certain a whole lot of them had mediocre FTP's)

One thing I take from that is that if your group is not riding a Sub-3 you are also not going to no matter what your FTP is, and if your group is riding a Sub-3 you don't need a special FTP to keep up. So imo a bit pointless to focus on some FTP number and think that will get you to a sub-3.

Go ride and do road races and learn how to keep up with 2nd or 3rd group and if your seeding is right you are in the mix when the weather is kind. (Disclaimer - I have never been a technical minded cyclist)

This is exactly right though.

If you train and race, your seeding will improve. If you just train towards a number and don't race, you will start in group '3No chance' and no matter how strong you are, you won't solo to a sub 3 through the traffic.

So train and race. Race enough to get into the 1st 5 batches of pseudo pro's Professional Fun Riders... then you're in with a shot.

Edited by Jewbacca

Agreed on all above,

Plus a bit of a kick when the guys start to get tactical..

Rode with a friend on the weekend in the 94.7,

He’s got the perfect ftp,weight advantage and everything you would want to go sub 2h30

So the guys started playing with accelerations ,and he eventually got dropped from the bunch

He lost about 10minutes from us in about 20km...

Compared our power data afterwords and it was pretty much the same..

Soooo....

I achieved goal number 2 and got a 2.57 for the 94.7 this Sunday (Group F).

But how am I placed to achieve goal number 1, i.e. a 3hr CT cycle race?

What does it take?

My previous best time in CT Cycle race was 3.35 in 2019, but I was back in 2H, and it was a windy day, so I figured in a better group on a less windy day I might have done 3:20-ish. 3:20 sounds pretty close to 3:00. Is it?

My current FTP is 260 (trainerroad ramp test - taken in Jhb where I live) and I weigh 85, so watt/KG is 3.06. Is that enough? Or even close?

Thanks!

my short answer is yes it’s possible with those numbers, but you need to be seeded lowest E, and there must not be the slightest wind on the day. I’ve seen guys achieve sub 3 in the above mentioned conditions in 2008 & 2016 and was nowhere close to your FTP or p:w.

Soooo....

I achieved goal number 2 and got a 2.57 for the 94.7 this Sunday (Group F). 

But how am I placed to achieve goal number 1,  i.e. a 3hr CT cycle race?

What does it take?

My previous best time in CT Cycle race was 3.35 in 2019, but I was back in 2H, and it was a windy day, so I figured in a better group on a less windy day I might have done 3:20-ish. 3:20 sounds pretty close to 3:00. Is it?

My current FTP is 260 (trainerroad ramp test - taken in Jhb where I live) and I weigh 85, so watt/KG is 3.06. Is that enough? Or even close?

Thanks!

Ask Pure Savage to write you a race report, you could be the first person to do a sub 2 hour!

This is exactly right though.

If you train and race, your seeding will improve. If you just train towards a number and don't race, you will start in group '3No chance' and no matter how strong you are, you won't solo to a sub 3 through the traffic.

So train and race. Race enough to get into the 1st 5 batches of pseudo pro's... then you're in with a shot.

Professional Fun Riders.....

Come on get the terminology right man :ph34r:

Dischem Ride For Sight is usually a good measure you need to sub 3 that race to know you are on the right path.

But you need to also consider its flatter.

Yes it is flatter. My theory as to why the times are so close-the extra 7 odd km AND that rough undulating heidelburg road takes it's toll at that stage of the race. 

Yess...stick with the A bunch and you will have a sub 3. That's it. Now to start in the A bunch,that takes effort. To stay with them another ball game.Good Luck.

Great list but I would actually not go beyond point 1, because once your seeding value is down it automatically means all the other things are in place.

Your Racetec seeding group (I'm not referring to CTCT start groups)  is a great indicator of how on track you are. If you are A then you are guaranteed of a sub-3 barring some weather disaster like this year. B you are definitely in the mix and C you have an outside chance and need the stars to align on the day. Beyond that no realistic chance.

On a aside I have absolutely no idea what my power output is or what the gearing is on my road bike but if on a good day I can wheel suck like a champ in B bunch I know I'm ready for that Sub 3 attempt

Respect.

To have your dad and mom at 60+ riding. That must be lekker family fun.

Will be interesting to see how much a coach helps. My mom 63 was a bit out of her depth with the Savage racing ladies earlier this year, but has been with a coach now for 4 months from science to sport. Going to be interesting to see how she goes this year compared to last year which was faffing around on club rides and spin classes.

Ask Pure Savage to write you a race report, you could be the first person to do a sub 2 hour!

Genuine question, if they staged it like the marathon record thing behind some e-bikes etc, would a sub 2 be possible? that's like average 55kph. I have no idea what that would be in FTP, I am a simple man, get on my bike and pedal. High heart rate means I am pushing hard etc........ Have no idea about power and FTP or what it even means.

Genuine question, if they staged it like the marathon record thing behind some e-bikes etc, would a sub 2 be possible? that's like average 55kph. I have no idea what that would be in FTP, I am a simple man, get on my bike and pedal. High heart rate means I am pushing hard etc........ Have no idea about power and FTP or what it even means.

was looking at the Strava segment for Killarney racetrack, and the KOM average speed is 51kmh. For all intents and purposes, it's flat and that time was probably on a perfect day. Whether it was drafted or not, I can't say, but it still falls short of the 55kmh... and it was only ~4min. 2hrs is a lot longer to hold a pace even higher than that. 

whether a WT rider would manage is hard to say, but never say never ala-Kipchoge. It would be quite an effort though...