What would it take to do the CT cycle race in 3hrs?

braamverster

Argust is a bit of a joke as many  afrikaans speaking people mispronounce it. Similar to the Tokai Mast beign refered to as the Tokai Mask/Mars/MaSe.

Argust isn't so far off Argus T(our) so some will think it refers to that but its mostly in reference to mispronunciation

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it this way - this year only 6 riders outside the elites made Sub-3. Last year it was a 1000 riders outside the elites ( and I'm certain a whole lot of them had mediocre FTP's)

One thing I take from that is that if your group is not riding a Sub-3 you are also not going to no matter what your FTP is, and if your group is riding a Sub-3 you don't need a special FTP to keep up. So imo a bit pointless to focus on some FTP number and think that will get you to a sub-3.

Go ride and do road races and learn how to keep up with 2nd or 3rd group and if your seeding is right you are in the mix when the weather is kind. (Disclaimer - I have never been a technical minded cyclist)

Thanks, good advice

my short answer is yes it’s possible with those numbers, but you need to be seeded lowest E, and there must not be the slightest wind on the day. I’ve seen guys achieve sub 3 in the above mentioned conditions in 2008 & 2016 and was nowhere close to your FTP or p:w.

Thanks! Hope you are right, forum makes it seem quite tough (I will never see 4w/kg)

I look at it this way - this year only 6 riders outside the elites made Sub-3. Last year it was a 1000 riders outside the elites ( and I'm certain a whole lot of them had mediocre FTP's)

One thing I take from that is that if your group is not riding a Sub-3 you are also not going to no matter what your FTP is, and if your group is riding a Sub-3 you don't need a special FTP to keep up. So imo a bit pointless to focus on some FTP number and think that will get you to a sub-3.

Go ride and do road races and learn how to keep up with 2nd or 3rd group and if your seeding is right you are in the mix when the weather is kind. (Disclaimer - I have never been a technical minded cyclist)

broadly I agree, if one can keep up with a group heading for sub3 then all good. Likely your FTP is going to high anyway because staying with the bunch over chappies and Suikerbossie requires power.

I prefer a more considered approach than the jump  out of the plane with a bag of silk worms in your backpack  hope for the best approach. Stacking the deck in your favour through training and racing will always deliver more assured results

broadly I agree, if one can keep up with a group heading for sub3 then all good. Likely your FTP is going to high anyway because staying with the bunch over chappies and Suikerbossie requires power.

I prefer a more considered approach than the jump  out of the plane with a bag of silk worms in your backpack  hope for the best approach. Stacking the deck in your favour through training and racing will always deliver more assured results

LOL that's one I haven't heard before.

I agree, of course all else being equal having a higher FTP is always preferable and it's good to train to improve it. But imo going out there and getting race results tells you exactly where you are relative to a sub-3 (and some practical lessons on where you need to improve to get there..). I would recommend that over chasing some theoretical FTP or power ratio that someone quoted on the hub.

The most expensive road bike you can buy will help a lot. Then you need to starve yourself so you are also close to the legal health limit for your height. An understanding partner is also essential so you can also do some practicing at odd hours. Then you need to pray for a windless race day. 

What's this talk about FTP, training and seeding?

Did these guys teach you nothing?

lance-armstrong-bryan-fogel.jpg?w=1000&h

get on the EPO, HGH and T train 

Don't forget strapping blood bags to the walls of the Southern Sun the night before...

Don't forget strapping blood bags to the walls of the Southern Sun the night before...

I thought blood bags were for recovery during grand tours. Despite the name Aurgust is not a month long.

• 3 months later...

An interesting topic, my goal next year is to get my old man who just turned 65 a sub 3.

We plan to do 2 seeding events, he is getting a coach and there will be plenty of wheel sucking.

fdfabb6c6c79b17e1cd432ec2adada29.jpg

Sub 3 bike sorted already!!

His best CTCT out was 2 years ago on this bike 3:21 (his 21st Argus)

Scratching around in old topics and came across this. How did it go? (Interested as your dad is just a few years older than me)

Scratching around in old topics and came across this. How did it go? (Interested as your dad is just a few years older than me)

After DC he had  a few minor issues with health that kept him off the bike here and there and he also missed a few seeding events.

He did get his PB though of 3:20 with very little training. They are now joining our morning rides, so maybe we try again in 2021!