What would it take to do the CT cycle race in 3hrs?

braamverster

Soooo....

I achieved goal number 2 and got a 2.57 for the 94.7 this Sunday (Group F).

But how am I placed to achieve goal number 1, i.e. a 3hr CT cycle race?

What does it take?

My previous best time in CT Cycle race was 3.35 in 2019, but I was back in 2H, and it was a windy day, so I figured in a better group on a less windy day I might have done 3:20-ish. 3:20 sounds pretty close to 3:00. Is it?

My current FTP is 260 (trainerroad ramp test - taken in Jhb where I live) and I weigh 85, so watt/KG is 3.06. Is that enough? Or even close?

Thanks!

Watt is your Dis-Chem Ride for Sight time?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case it would take a strong wind that conveniently changed direction 1.499 hours after I crossed the starting mat.

Did a 3.15 in 2018 on that perfect day .... and doubt I'll ever do better.

Is 3h15 the same as 2h75? If yes, then that’s a sub-3 too - depends how you look at it [emoji3][emoji1787]

Soooo....

But how am I placed to achieve goal number 1,  i.e. a 3hr CT cycle race?

What does it take?

My previous best time in CT Cycle race was 3.35 in 2019, but I was back in 2H, and it was a windy day, so I figured in a better group on a less windy day I might have done 3:20-ish. 3:20 sounds pretty close to 3:00. Is it?

My current FTP is 260 (trainerroad ramp test - taken in Jhb where I live) and I weigh 85, so watt/KG is 3.06. Is that enough? Or even close?

Thanks!

Seeding group and weather play huge roles as others have said. I had done a couple of 100km races at about 37kph, so was pretty sure I was all set for a sub 3 in 2019. I came in at 3:20 and went home with my tail between my legs. 

So I would say stick to some kind of sub-3 specific training program (LSD rides, hill reps, all that technical stuff), train harder than you think you need to, get into as good a seeding group as you can, and then pray for minimal wind. 

Also, every time I sign up for the CTCT, something goes wrong on race day. eg: Fires, race cancellations, protest action, wind. So while you are praying for good weather, you should also pray that I decide not to enter for 2020.  

Soooo....

But how am I placed to achieve goal number 1,  i.e. a 3hr CT cycle race?

What does it take?

Thanks!

Its very simple if you want that time do 7 x 5min all out efforts twice a week on nice long climbs, naturally you'll loose weight and climb faster which means you'll keep up with your seeded group. don't loose contact over the first 4 climbs and you will be fine. ride 3 hour - 4 hours days on weekends. the first 10km of the Argus is very fast so make sure when you do your intervals your hitting them at 175bpm so you get use to climbing at lactate threshold. good luck

An interesting topic, my goal next year is to get my old man who just turned 65 a sub 3.

We plan to do 2 seeding events, he is getting a coach and there will be plenty of wheel sucking.

fdfabb6c6c79b17e1cd432ec2adada29.jpg

Sub 3 bike sorted already!!

His best CTCT out was 2 years ago on this bike 3:21 (his 21st Argus)

Edited by Pure Savage

Will be interesting to see how much a coach helps. My mom 63 was a bit out of her depth with the Savage racing ladies earlier this year, but has been with a coach now for 4 months from science to sport. Going to be interesting to see how she goes this year compared to last year which was faffing around on club rides and spin classes.

My 947 times were always around 2h30 in Vets and 2h45 on the tandem and my sub 3s at the CTCT have only been just sub 3 on the tandem. So basically my 947 tandem time is 10min quicker than CTCT tandem.

But like Frosty said, compare it to your ride for sight time. Bar mechanicals or really excessive wind/weather your CTCT and R4S times will be a few min apart.

An interesting topic, my goal next year is to get my old man who just turned 65 a sub 3.

We plan to do 2 seeding events, he is getting a coach and there will be plenty of wheel sucking.

Do it on a tandem. But that Scott is very pretty, much nicer than your dale :ph34r:

Be sure to start in a sub-3 group, then don't get dropped... I suspect that's a tad harder than it sounds.

My advice would be to not put too much pressure on yourself to get a certain time - there are so many variables that can scupper the best efforts leading to some mental defects afterwards... or is that just me? Personally, I ride to have fun and I ride to be better than yesterday... I stay away from other arbitrary gauges

I would be delighted with your dads best

Be sure to start in a sub-3 group, then don't get dropped... I suspect that's a tad harder than it sounds.

Agree, in my experience if you are in a sub-3 group the on the day a sub-3 is relatively easy (disclaimer,provided you don't have the 2019 weather fiasco)

The hard part comes in the months leading up to the race, getting that seeding & getting used riding in the sharper end of the field)

Great list but I would actually not go beyond point 1, because once your seeding value is down it automatically means all the other things are in place.

Your Racetec seeding group (I'm not referring to CTCT start groups)  is a great indicator of how on track you are. If you are A then you are guaranteed of a sub-3 barring some weather disaster like this year. B you are definitely in the mix and C you have an outside chance and need the stars to align on the day. Beyond that no realistic chance.

On a aside I have absolutely no idea what my power output is or what the gearing is on my road bike but if on a good day I can wheel suck like a champ in B bunch I know I'm ready for that Sub 3 attempt

Group matters  lot, I agree,

But to give people some hope, on that perfect day in 2018, even in start group G, 28% people finished below 3hrs... see below from racetec data

% of riders who did sub 3 A 70% B 61% C 43% D 37% E 36% F 29% G 28%

Following on from everyone above, I posted these more practical race-day tips on a previous forum:

1. Get your seeding value down- if your group can't ride at sub-3 pace and you can't ride away from them like "mini Thomas de Gendt", kiss that sub-3 goodbye;

2. Climbs - Your P/kg is CRITICAL. As mentioned above. 

3. Gearing - If you can hold 65 km/h, with a light-ish SE, without spinning-out when you turn after Smits you will avoid being dropped. That is approx. a 50-11 at 100 rpm so if you can't #spintowin consider a semi-compact; 

4. Refuel - Eat before you're hungry & drink before you're thirsty. You'll be burning matches and you do not want to 'bonk'. Doesn't matter what your P/kg is if your tank is empty... 

5. Be Safe - From my experience some risks may be required and will be worth taking  i.e. bridging a gap if the bunch splits following a crash, but some are NOT. As my coach once said, you can't get a sub-3 if you don't finish. 

Thanks, great list! Point 3 is something I have never of...

I've sucked your Dad's wheel before so please let me know which batch he's starting in so I can try shmokkel my way to his sub 3. I'm only 15 years his junior ....