Bar ends for Mountain bike

Shaunpr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bar ends are like saddle bags on a road bike. No matter what the benefits are, people don't use them because they are seen as "uncool."

I still run them on my 2 single speed bikes - helps sometimes getting power down - and I do not GAF for the aesthetics or lack thereof - they work for me.

But they are not on my XC bike - hooked them once too many times....

I hope admin is taking note, and will ban those users admitting to using bar ends ....

Unless they make the bike look like a dog compared to a bike without then they and this thread are safe...........

In the USA I would be jailed for life as I have three strikes against me:-

MTB Barends

Road saddle bag and unshaven legs

Shortish socks.

No ... they would make you "disappear" 

In the USA I would be jailed for life as I have three strikes against me:-

MTB Barends

Road saddle bag and unshaven legs

Shortish socks.

Agree with the socks and saddle bag.

But honestly the whole shaving your legs as a male thing just doesn't sit right with me..............  

if you're going to "hook" a tree you were going top hit it anyway on the furthest part of your handle bar which you're done the exact same thing you were going at decent speed

Disclaimer:  I still have my bar ends.

Bumping into a solid tree trunk having bar ends or not is not going to make much of a difference. My close calls are from hooking smaller saplings, hanging vines or branches - stuff that is flexible and would sweep off normal handlebars but does get caught by the bar ends. These can cause a sudden loss of velocity and directional stability. I mitigate the risk by doing forest (actually, all) singletrack at speeds more appropriate to Galapagos tortoises than racing snakes  :lol:

After each close call I seriously consider getting with the on-trend crowd and ditching them, but by the time I get home the motivation for change has all gone.