Dischem Ride for Sight

Long Wheel Base

RULE 11// 

Family does not come first. The bike does.

Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

HAHA, rules are there to be broken.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one aspect I would have changed - would have been a better finish if they had the mats out before that left turn. our little bunch with 3 tandems had one of the tandems on the inside line in that corner. No ability to hold his line - he went from inside line to outside line in a blink with the rest of the bunch scrambling to stay out of his way. Poor form that - sprinting off your line is illegal for a reason. 

I have always said they need to make the finish in the main road and then we all just cruise through that dogs leg. Every year, someone crashes hard there. It has always been a hairy sprint on the tandem.

to be honest, I think the Elites go through that corner at the highest speed on the day and they have something to race for, there is rarely an incident.

This has been discussed before and I will say again what I have said before. The route isn't the dangerous part, the riders are. If other guys police someone that is reckless, then he will be less reckless or behind them in future.

Otherwise where will it end, only straight road races starting at one point and finishing at another? Don't dumb down races because you feel that the amount of risks you have to take is too much. Especially if you are an alphabet soup rider. (Not targeted at you LWB)

Edited by JA-Q001

To have a high speed downhill 90' turn into the finish "straight" isn't the wisest choice ever regardless of which group you are racing in. Everyone in the front of their group wants to be competing in some way or another so will likely be over extended at that point. That and combined with equipment elements which may be on the extreme (eg, tyres slipping, gears jumping) is asking for accidents and the organisers need to be accountable for putting competitors in that position.
I last did the race in VB a few years back, and we went into that corner at a pace, only to see a guys tyre slip off his rim and him hitting the pavement. It was ugly. That was it for me... no need to race for the massive sum of what exactly???? A photo on the podium this year maybe, and some hospital bills next year?

to be honest, I think the Elites go through that corner at the highest speed on the day and they have something to race for, there is rarely an incident.

This has been discussed before and I will say again what I have said before. The route isn't the dangerous part, the riders are. If other guys police someone that is reckless, then he will be less reckless or behind them in future.

Otherwise where will it end, only straight road races starting at one point and finishing at another? Don't dumb down races because you feel that the amount of risks you have to take is too much. Especially if you are an alphabet soup rider. (Not targeted at you LWB)

It's always difficult to design an event for both pro's and amateurs, but both groups have to be taken into account. And much as I can appreciate the skill involved in the sprints putting people in hospital is always a bad idea.

I had a good chat to our offender about not riding so that everyone else on the road has to take evasive action to prevent a crash. Maybe he'll be better next time.

Edited by 100Tours

Sorry to pick this out of your post, I'm sure you're not the only one that expects this.

but, when did it become expected that you'd get anything more than liquid replenishment at water points ? 

In my 22 years of entering races i've never expected anything more than water and whatever sponsored flavoured drink is on tap. Have my expectations been to low ?

All 8 events i have taken part in have had at least one table with a gel or bar and they have cost less to enter then RFS R20-R50 cheaper . Maybe i expected more  . Ride for sight had boerie rolls and chicken burgers surely you could get some gels and bars.

I have always said they need to make the finish in the main road and then we all just cruise through that dogs leg. Every year, someone crashes hard there. It has always been a hairy sprint on the tandem.

Naah, disagree LWB. 

The sprint will now change into a higher speed mad dash to the bottom of the hill.  The idiots will no skills will still be there.

You need to have a power sprint,, where the speed is slowest.  Methinks they need to change it to a 100-150m sprint, just after the last left turn into Jubilee.

I don't disagree with you, but even on straight roads the guys crash. Remember at carnival a few years back when your team mate(MK I think it was?) got taken out early on and you stopped with him. I got caught behind the crash and we both rode the rest of the way together(well I slipped your wheel, think you were still SA champ back then)-that was a straight road IICR. Even in the vets groups there are guys that don't ride lekker. No one likes to crash and it's even worse when you riding lekker and some other oke takes you out.

I don't disagree with you, but even on straight roads the guys crash. Remember at carnival a few years back when your team mate(MK I think it was?) got taken out early on and you stopped with him. I got caught behind the crash and we both rode the rest of the way together(well I slipped your wheel, think you were still SA champ back then)-that was a straight road IICR. Even in the vets groups there are guys that don't ride lekker. No one likes to crash and it's even worse when you riding lekker and some other oke takes you out.

Exactly, riders should catch a wake-up. The route doesn't make anyone crash, the riders that think they are smart, but that aren't as much, cause the crash.

Like the other example mentioned above:

I last did the race in VB a few years back, and we went into that corner at a pace, only to see a guys tyre slip off his rim and him hitting the pavement. It was ugly. That was it for me... no need to race for the massive sum of what exactly???? A photo on the podium this year maybe, and some hospital bills next year?

If your tyre slips off a rim and its only yours in a bunch of 40, then your equipment setup is more suspicious than the route.

In the end, this race has taken place for quite a number of year with the same finish. The amount of accidents in this one spot isn't an outlier. This race has about as many accidents as the FastOne, maybe less, and that thing has an uphill drag finish for 5 km. 

Maybe put hay-bales in the corner then and try warning people that the corner is dangerous and should be taken with caution. In the end I don't see it more dangerous than a pothole or speed-hump in a route. Especially the rumble strips before you turn left halfway through.

At last year's Herald, once we turned into the final few hundred meters to the finish and the I-can't-possibly-work-once-in-105km lot made their appearance and started jockeying for position, I decided to sit up and cruise to the line. Another guy got dropped at about the same time, and I told him I'm out, there's a crash coming.

Sure enough, a few seconds later about 50m ahead of us, huge crash...

None of the 10 riders in AL who finished ahead of me got a cent... why ride recklessly and put yourself and others in danger?!

I feel the same. I’ve crashed in one bunch sprint after another rider warned me that things are getting risky. 500m from the finish, a laaitie clips the camera bike, and about 20-odd people go down. Ever since that day, I’ve sat up at the end and enjoyed the preceding 100-odd Kms.

At last year's Herald, once we turned into the final few hundred meters to the finish and the I-can't-possibly-work-once-in-105km lot made their appearance and started jockeying for position, I decided to sit up and cruise to the line. Another guy got dropped at about the same time, and I told him I'm out, there's a crash coming.

Sure enough, a few seconds later about 50m ahead of us, huge crash...

None of the 10 riders in AL who finished ahead of me got a cent... why ride recklessly and put yourself and others in danger?!

LOL love this name. Had one of those yesterday. Glad I out sprinted them. Every time you ask them to come forward they just start looking around or taking a drink or pretend to do something to their computer.

Second VA race for me.

Okes are fast! I am at my limit each time they surge. Rule 5 came to mind a few times.

Managed to stay with them to the end.

Sadly punctured with 800m to go.

A strong panda rider was whining like drain about guys like me not making the racing. I think he needs to remember we all have to start somewhere and go meditate on rule 43.

Otherwise a great race

Edited by Furbz

Equally as dangerous is how some of the Vets ride, I know of 2 riders that went down on R23 and heard stories of others that ended up on the gravel after been pushed off by them, they fly past you then immediately cut in. 

Sorry, I dont normally get involved in many conversations here but if you are complaining about the risk of crashing in a mass participation race then you shouldnt be at the race.

The possibility of a crash comes with the territory of 50 odd guys moving at high speeds trying to occupy the same space... just this festive season we were sitting around the table with family and discussing that we knew my day was coming as I was yet to come down in a 5 odd years of racing.

The best we hope for is road rash and no expensive bike repairs.

So when I came down on sunday I knew it was not only due but its part of the risk we take lining up at the start line of race. If you dont want to take the risk then dont enter a race. 

Part of the risk also involves guys who are not so great at riding in a group or just doing something stupid.

Well, thats my view on the risks of racing at least 

All 8 events i have taken part in have had at least one table with a gel or bar and they have cost less to enter then RFS R20-R50 cheaper . Maybe i expected more . Ride for sight had boerie rolls and chicken burgers surely you could get some gels and bars.

Please do name these events?

Never have seen a bar or a gel on a table. Bananas and potatoes sure, but a bar and a gel? Nah, I don’t trust that which I don’t know before a race.

Sorry, I dont normally get involved in many conversations here but if you are complaining about the risk of crashing in a mass participation race then you shouldnt be at the race.

The possibility of a crash comes with the territory of 50 odd guys moving at high speeds trying to occupy the same space... just this festive season we were sitting around the table with family and discussing that we knew my day was coming as I was yet to come down in a 5 odd years of racing.

The best we hope for is road rash and no expensive bike repairs.

So when I came down on sunday I knew it was not only due but its part of the risk we take lining up at the start line of race. If you dont want to take the risk then dont enter a race. 

Part of the risk also involves guys who are not so great at riding in a group or just doing something stupid.

Well, thats my view on the risks of racing at least 

I reckon we all know and accept that there is some risk involved, of course. Things can and do go wrong, as with anything else in life.

If I choose to sit up and avoid the mad dash for the grand prize of nothing, my priorities are just a bit different from those who do go for it. Should I not enter the race? Nah. I will avoid riders taking pointless risks though, hopefully limiting the risk to myself.

My wife is no less proud of me for finishing 11th or 60th than if I got 1st in AL. As long as I finish safely.