Dischem Ride for Sight

Long Wheel Base

If your tyre slips off a rim and its only yours in a bunch of 40, then your equipment setup is more suspicious than the route.

You are right... i suspect he was using a tubby ... enough said??

Also in a race, these type of things do come with the territory, and the current finish of the 94.7 also comes to mind. However, you arent talking about tour pro's who deal with fast corners on a regular basis. This is a sunday mass participation races where people tend to over extend themslves. As the saying goes "Their ambition levels way exceeded their talent levels"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon we all know and accept that there is some risk involved, of course. Things can and do go wrong, as with anything else in life.

If I choose to sit up and avoid the mad dash for the grand prize of nothing, my priorities are just a bit different from those who do go for it. Should I not enter the race? Nah. I will avoid riders taking pointless risks though, hopefully limiting the risk to myself.

My wife is no less proud of me for finishing 11th or 60th than if I got 1st in AL. As long as I finish safely.

I feel exactly the same, and will talk to guys that are riding in such as a way as to endanger others.

I reckon we all know and accept that there is some risk involved, of course. Things can and do go wrong, as with anything else in life.

If I choose to sit up and avoid the mad dash for the grand prize of nothing, my priorities are just a bit different from those who do go for it. Should I not enter the race? Nah. I will avoid riders taking pointless risks though, hopefully limiting the risk to myself.

My wife is no less proud of me for finishing 11th or 60th than if I got 1st in AL. As long as I finish safely.

Nope fully agree with you, no reason not to enter. You are still aware of the risk and are taking measures to avoid getting caught up in it.

It just comes across like many are aware or complain of the risk but at the same time wont back out to avoid the risk. 

I enjoyed the 62.  Pushed myself as hard as I could and Im pretty happy with the results... The Guys in AS were pretty fast.  Had two tandems sitting with us towards Carnival City, think they came in 5th and 6th.  I have to admit that I hid behind them for a KM or two....  

Our gazebo was at the start and I helped a lady with an allen key to tighten her seat post.  Hope she was OK.  as she cycled off I thought to myself that the seat was too high, but then again Im no expert.

One note, I managed to miss the Coke/water/whatever table at the finish did I just not walk far enough?

Edited by jouda

I enjoyed the 62.  Pushed myself as hard as I could and Im pretty happy with the results... The Guys in AS were pretty fast.  Had two tandems sitting with us towards Carnival City, think they came in 5th and 6th.  I have to admit that I hid behind them for a KM or two....  

Our gazebo was at the start and I helped a lady with an allen key to tighten her seat post.  Hope she was OK.  as she cycled off I thought to myself that the seat was too high, but then again Im no expert.

One note, I managed to miss the Coke/water/whatever table at the finish did I just not walk far enough?

Did you go straight or right after the finish line? It was situated at the traffic circle(same as previous years). You needed to go straight but for some reason the road to the right(where we came from the holding pens)was open and usually it isn't. So that confused a lot of I people I reckon.

Did not know there was one, one of the guys I sometimes ride with's company had a gazebo just after the finish so scored free boerrie roll, snacks and drinks.

You could smell out the boerie rolls from the next suburb big guy [emoji12]

• 11 months later...

To Our Loyal Dis-Chem Ride for Sight Cyclists,

We hope that you are safe and well during this terrible pandemic.

We would love to be giving you good news about the 2021 event but sadly we cannot.

Due to the continuing restrictions we had hoped to stage the Ride at the end of April, however we have now taken the painful decision to cancel the 2021 event.

We know that besides participating in our event, cycling to restore the gift of sight is also a huge factor in your continued support of the event.

Due to the Covid 19 restrictions we have had to cancel the ride and other special events, leading to a huge decline in our income. We are now using reserves to pay our staff and we have had to reduce our 2021 grant to the Retinal Research Project at UCT to a quarter of their requirement.

If you would like to assist us, at no cost to you, please  nominate Retina South Africa as a beneficiary on www.myschool.co.za<http://www.myschool.co.za>

Every time you shop at Woolies, Engen, Waltons and various other outlets they will make a donation to us.

If you are able to, please will you take a ticket in our Circle of Light Competition. One ticket costs R250.00 and you stand a chance of winning R500 per month, for the next 12 months.  (This Charity Fundraiser has been approved by Lotto - Lotto Scheme No. 00187/17.)

If you would like to make a tax deductible donation (R250.00 or more) to Retina South Africa, please indicate this on an email and send together with the POP to headoffice@retinasa.org.za.  

Below please find our banking details:

Name of Account    -    Retina South Africa

Name of Bank          -    Standard Bank

Branch                       -    Bedford Gardens

Branch Code             -    018305 

Account No               -    020312164.

Reference your name and mobile number.

There is so much progress in research and clinical trials that the hope of a sighted future for thousands of young South Africans affected by retinal vision loss is bright indeed.

Thank you for continuing this special journey with us.

Keep cycling, keep safe and see you in 2022.

With best wishes from the Dis-Chem Ride for Sight team.

• 1 year later...

How was everyone’s ride yesterday? Probably the best conditions I can remember in all the years of doing it.

Besides the usual shambles of long & short distances, cones, cars and potholes coming into the last 7km, it was an enjoyable day out.

Myst have been lots of sub-3s

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

How was everyone’s ride yesterday? Probably the best conditions I can remember in all the years of doing it.

Besides the usual shambles of long & short distances, cones, cars and potholes coming into the last 7km, it was an enjoyable day out.

Must have been lots of sub-3s

I must have been in a different race then. 

Great weather BUT

I suffered like a dog!!!   

Luckily no mishaps!!! Apart from the cone incident and me losing my chip in the process. 

So if someone spotted an orange Racetec chip about 4km from the finish, please drop me a pm.

33 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Myst have been lots of sub-3s

Did the 62k on my MTB in AS. 

Averaged 40kmh for the first 32k or so, then got shelled after we turned left to head back.

Was brutal with a 34T, Kudos to the guy on the Hardtail for sticking with the chasing group to the end! You roadies can be rapid!

It was a great day out. The weather was perfect and i had no complaints...i rode a road bike and did the long distance. Spent most of my ride keeping up with the Exxaro MTB academy boys - they had full sus MTBs with knobblies and were keeping up with the road bikes!

31 minutes ago, JulienR said:

It was a great day out. The weather was perfect and i had no complaints...i rode a road bike and did the long distance. Spent most of my ride keeping up with the Exxaro MTB academy boys - they had full sus MTBs with knobblies and were keeping up with the road bikes!

Saw that, stayed with them until about 70 then we got dropped and somehow caught one guy at around 100k mark, achieved a PB for me, as Frosty said best conditions ever, came in at 3:12 from EL

Allegedly a big crash in BL or CL about 30 to 40 kms in. . I was ahead of it so heard the ambulances come past going back to the scene. Anyone see what happened and is everyone okay?