Solutions for loadshedding

Rocket-Boy

you dont' want to see mine then .. function above beauty ..   :whistling:  :whistling:

I get function over form, but thats when I do something, when a so called professional does it i want it to look neat too. From that photo it looks like things are not even level with each other.

Edited by ouzo

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading your post again, the answer is a CT coil - this stops power going back to the grid.

Is this build in function of the Axpert/kodak/mecer?  (sorry, Only know victron stuff ).

Is this build in function of the Axpert/kodak/mecer? (sorry, Only know victron stuff ).

Not sure if it’s Sunsynk only, but this is what it looks like, and is installed on the live wire between the grid and the inverter. Measures the current through the circuit and prevents feedback to the grid, as well as allowing the grid to feed the non-essential loads (if any) before the inverter when the grid is available. If the grid is off, then the inverter will only power the essential loads.

ce4e15874935f3ddb6498eaf81aa204f.jpg

From that photo it looks like things are not even level with each other.

I also noticed that after you commented.

The picture looks way worse in terms of alignment than it does in person. I might have been standing off-centre and/or the cellphone Camera AI might have done something funny with it.

My happiness to be free from Loadshedding might have pushed my satisfaction through the roof TBH. I also saw a DIY installation by a friend a week ago, which I'll rather not share here, it is truly DIY.

I won't post this as an advert on Facebook, there are some realllllly clean installs on there. Being in an outside building, I am fairly happy with how it came out.

• 2 weeks later...

I also noticed that after you commented.

The picture looks way worse in terms of alignment than it does in person. I might have been standing off-centre and/or the cellphone Camera AI might have done something funny with it.

My happiness to be free from Loadshedding might have pushed my satisfaction through the roof TBH. I also saw a DIY installation by a friend a week ago, which I'll rather not share here, it is truly DIY.

I won't post this as an advert on Facebook, there are some realllllly clean installs on there. Being in an outside building, I am fairly happy with how it came out.

How much was the installation part? So far I've seen quotes of around R14000 to install a system that only costs R25000

How much was the installation part? So far I've seen quotes of around R14000 to install a system that only costs R25000

A semi-decent inverter (5kW) is R20k

A LiPoFE4 battery (5kW) is about R25k

Panels are about R1.8k - R2k each.

So you're looking at +/- R70k before installation. What are you planning on getting for R25k?

My installation, including a CoC (that required some small fixes) was R22k. There are cheaper, but the system will work as well as the cheap cost. Then there are installers charger in excess of R30k.

I did all of the installation work myself. Panel mounting hardware was roughly R4k to mount 8 panels. Really easy to use.

Electrician did all of the wires from DB to the inverter and back, including safe changeover switches and two thick wires to plug in Generator in case of emergency. CoC for the installation included in his price of R6k exVat

I did all of the installation work myself. Panel mounting hardware was roughly R4k to mount 8 panels. Really easy to use.

Electrician did all of the wires from DB to the inverter and back, including safe changeover switches and two thick wires to plug in Generator in case of emergency. CoC for the installation included in his price of R6k exVat

These prices are traumatizing ... OMG. Installed mine myself , budgeting for  CoC etc

Baby system compared to you guys but it at least serves a somewhat practical purpose .

*Growatt Hybrid 5kv Inverter -   Price  R  10,000

* 4 x 120 ah gel (Dont Judge)   Price  R   7,600

* Cables plus Circuit Breakers Price   R   2,400

Total :     R  20,000

System is setup like UPS so seamless switchover and bypasses Geyser and Pool Pump. Installed Gas Stove so coffee and cooking sorted .We get about 4 hours to 50 % battery with Gaming Pcs and House lights, Tv , Home alarm etc (if we switch off the fridge off then 6 to 8 hours). 

next plan another 4x120ah battery to extend time off grid, and then panels (fingers crossed).

We wouldn't even know that we off grid during power out if the unit didn't beep to alert us. I don't think i could have done much better with this budget.

Just Sharing - By no means the Professional, but input and advice from you guys was definitely a plus . Cheers

These prices are traumatizing ... OMG. Installed mine myself , budgeting for  CoC etc

Baby system compared to you guys but it at least serves a somewhat practical purpose .

*Growatt Hybrid 5kv Inverter -   Price  R  10,000

* 4 x 120 ah gel (Dont Judge)   Price  R   7,600

* Cables plus Circuit Breakers Price   R   2,400

Total :     R  20,000

System is setup like UPS so seamless switchover and bypasses Geyser and Pool Pump. Installed Gas Stove so coffee and cooking sorted .We get about 4 hours to 50 % battery with Gaming Pcs and House lights, Tv , Home alarm etc (if we switch off the fridge off then 6 to 8 hours). 

next plan another 4x120ah battery to extend time off grid, and then panels (fingers crossed).

We wouldn't even know that we off grid during power out if the unit didn't beep to alert us. I don't think i could have done much better with this budget.

Just Sharing - By no means the Professional, but input and advice from you guys was definitely a plus . Cheers

Nice!

Thing is, I initially also only wanted to do UPS as my first phase. But then I figured, the sooner I get those panels up the sooner I stop paying Eskom and the system starts to pay for itself.

So, one last tip:

Get some panels up, even if it is just enough in one string to start up the MPPT on the inverter(seems the Growatts only need about 2 or 3 panels in a string to start pumping those Amps)

It is really easy to add and worth it in terms of recouping costs. Later-on you can check your usage patterns and decide how much is enough. The 3.5kW of panels we have right now is sufficient to carry our loads and get us charged again for the night, even with this overcast weather.

And you might also get through the night on your current batteries if you only run Fridge + Freezer + Router.

Nice!

Thing is, I initially also only wanted to do UPS as my first phase. But then I figured, the sooner I get those panels up the sooner I stop paying Eskom and the system starts to pay for itself.

So, one last tip:

Get some panels up, even if it is just enough in one string to start up the MPPT on the inverter(seems the Growatts only need about 2 or 3 panels in a string to start pumping those Amps)

It is really easy to add and worth it in terms of recouping costs. Later-on you can check your usage patterns and decide how much is enough. The 3.5kW of panels we have right now is sufficient to carry our loads and get us charged again for the night, even with this overcast weather.

And you might also get through the night on your current batteries if you only run Fridge + Freezer + Router.

Thank you so much, i will definitely consider that .

• 2 weeks later...

https://businesstech.co.za/news/energy/481661/electricity-water-and-other-price-hikes-announced-for-pretoria/

And just like that my pay-back period improved dramatically:

2021/2022 price hikes

Electricity: +14.59%

Sanitation: +10%

Water: +8%

Refuse removal: +4.1%

Property rates: +2%

Headline inflation in February was 2.9%

For sure the money comes into play but there’s the unquantified value of being able to smugly continue with life without interruption

One thing you can guarantee in SA is that your payback period will diminish

For sure the money comes into play but there’s the unquantified value of being able to smugly continue with life without interruption

One thing you can guarantee in SA is that your payback period will diminish

I know exactly what you mean. We have had at least four power interruptions in our suburb in the month since my system went live, but life at home has not skipped a single beat.

For the solar inclined. I came across the following resources:

Sauran.co.za

Network of mearing stations who make their measurements available to the public. You can use this to compare against your system to see whether you are getting the most out of your configuration.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Optimum-tilt-and-azimuth-for-solar-collectors-in-Roux/09ba0ed9e10b5056faa4dd5e755d4b4b679c1562#paper-header

A close friend did his PhD on Solar installations and this article of his talks about Azimuth and Elevation of solar panels in a static setup year-round.

Long and short:

You only lose about 10% if your panels are perfectly level with the ground vs a theoretical perfectly aligned static setup.

So there might be scenarios where it is just easier and cheaper to put everything flat on your roof and add another panel or two to offset that 10% loss.

If you do active solar tracking, you may get 45% more compared to a flat static panel for a full year of collection.

I would say its bit more than 10% ..  But guess it all depends where you are .

Here pic of mine for last 7 days.  Just look at the underlined ones, the others are in shade in morning or different size

The underlined once differ about 5 degrees if I recall, the single one at top is difference N/S angle to catch afternoon sun better.

attachicon.gifsolar.JPG

They tabulated the data over a full year. 

So yes, your one set might be better this week, but during a different week of the year the other set might be better aligned and then give more. But over a year, it evens out.

The question remains what we actually want to achieve with our system.

I would rather optimize my system orientation to allow it to be most efficient during the winter months when our consumption peaks instead of trying to farm off the most for a full year.