Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

I'm no supporter - I just love the trails and consider my membership fee a bargain and one of the few annual fees I pay that I do with a glad heart.

It's not the requests that prompted my replies in this thread - your requests all sound perfectly reasonable - what got me going in this thread was the tone of "the club is doing this wrong", snide references to lawyers letters, etcetera that just makes me think, again as a 5 year member and strictly intermediate rider with no real ambitions to get more technically proficient (cricket not golf in case the stereotype it tempted) that made me lose my **** with thermophage just a little.

Also I smiled a little at your framing of "club supporter". This implies the binary you bemoan - supporters and non-supporters and by default you make me a club supporter and imply that you are not.

:P

Fair enough. I can't count myself as a true supporter as I'm not a paying member, but I do pay to ride there. And I support their efforts in many of their plans and projects. Plus, I didn't feel like using hte word "zealot" or "blinkered" as that would have even more negative connotations. 

BTW - the cryptic lawyers letters.... yeah the less said about that, the better. It's a really childish way to "settle" differences. 

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To an extend  the labeling the one person that is vocal and his been vocal for a while is also unfair. 

the attitude you mention is also part of the issue since their is no unity among members due to perceived differences. We  all want trails we can enjoy since we all pay to ride them.

considering the Club is also on the forefront of endorsing Enduro racing along with giant, it will also be nice to see trails that are open year round, not just for the event. I do realise that some of this constraint is due to land owners.

unfortunately the churlish whining you are talking about . .  you are also contributing to.

on another note

the club has a trail list it would seem however i cant say I know the some of the trails, or i might know them by a different name, this maybe also a slight obstacle when creating a survey.

any suggestions on how to simplify a list like on the site for a survey?

https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/

yeah, it's also out of date. Black Rhino, Tree Charge

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I'm no supporter - I just love the trails and consider my membership fee a bargain and one of the few annual fees I pay that I do with a glad heart.

It's not the requests that prompted my replies in this thread - your requests all sound perfectly reasonable - what got me going in this thread was the tone of "the club is doing this wrong", snide references to lawyers letters, etcetera that just makes me think, again as a 5 year member and strictly intermediate rider with no real ambitions to get more technically proficient (cricket not golf in case the stereotype it tempted) that made me lose my **** with thermophage just a little.

Also I smiled a little at your framing of "club supporter". This implies the binary you bemoan - supporters and non-supporters and by default you make me a club supporter and imply that you are not.

My suggestion is this, you seem frustrated with comments, yet your experience is satisfactory with the club as per how many other members.

Now look at it from another angle put yourself in other people shoe's.

would like more trails that could cater for bit more skill. slow tech trails. you are willing to help build and scout. you attend meetings and get blown off( and not in the good way) by the structures to be.

the you also find out that you are not alone. you have no other voice or power.

it simular in our own government structures where we have given up on, yet this is closer to home.

how would you deal with this? 

Not sure if i understand correct but tree charge, fair cape etc is on there

Welvergenoegd and faircape are there, you're right. On the legend, tree charge and a few others aren't, though. 

Just a point of note. The survey actually don't mean as much as technically there is already an integrity issue. Bummer..

Ie at the time of this in question 1-43 indicated to be members but by question 3 it is now 59 (seems my auditing skills are not totally lost)

Just a point of note. The survey actually don't mean as much as technically there is already an integrity issue. Bummer..

Ie at the time of this in question 1-43 indicated to be members but by question 3 it is now 59 (seems my auditing skills are not totally lost)

It's not a survey it's a poll and it is currently all anybody has.

The totals all add to 84 at present.

Anyway, the plan will be to use this as a motivation to take to the AGM to open talks to show that there are at least some people who are members to the club and the Hub who are open to this idea.

Make of it what you will, but there has to be a starting  point somewhere with some data to present.

One of those errant yes answers to q3 was me. I can't undo that, unfortunately

And yeah, that is a bit of an issue.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Anyway, the plan will be to use this as a motivation to take to the AGM to open talks to show that there are at least some people who are members to the club and the Hub who are open to this idea.

Make of it what you will, but there has to be a starting point somewhere with some data to present.

????????????????????????

Make of it what you will, but there has to be a starting  point somewhere with some data to present.

;-)  Just trying to bring a bit of lighter side into the topic, can hear your frustration about the matter and sure you have tried multiple avenues to get them to understand that they need to consider additional builds.  I do not know know that practicalities involved / the locations / the challenges that might be phased with such a venture for all I know from a legal liability perspective and upkeep they might decide that 5 double black routes might not be worth it.  

What I take from your messages is that at least then they should come out and say it straight.. they are planning to maintain "yellow" / green / blue and touch of black but nothing more than that.  And then you guys (and girls and thems)  can decide if they want to stick around or not.

For me I am happy with the work that the committee has done so it does not affect me personally.

PS, what I meant about the poll, it would carry more weight if question 1 & 3 reconciled as it now stands the poll now stands it is clear that people that are NOT members answered Yes or No  to more variety 

In research terms the poll is meaningless unfortunately - not just in terms of the discrepancies noted but question three is so vague as to be almost meaningless. I doubt it will carry any weight.

What's needed is a far more comprehensive questionnaire with a Lickert scale response. (that is (1) Strongly disagree; (2) Disagree; (3) Neither agree nor disagree; (4) Agree; (5) Strongly agree) to a series of statements regarding the trails and their administration.

So for example : "I feel that the TGMTB trail netork limits the progression of my skills" followed by the lickert scale.

Some narrative questions might also be useful eg. One improvement I would like to see at TGMTB is  .....

Good surveys ask questions - they don't create evidence to support foregone conclusions.

If you create it on Survey monkey similar I'll edit it for you free of charge.

You would need to control for false responses (capture the TGMTB board number - number of years riding MTB - how often they ride etc). Post on bikehub - (limited research utility because it's a self selecting sample) - create a little doodat data blob thing that links to the survey hand it out at the Dairy shed or get permission to plak it on the payment board at Conties). 

You might need a statistician to help with the results. Do it properly. If you go off half cocked spreading butthurt armed with weak data,  I suspect that you'll hit the brick wall that Captain Mayhem told me about and then you'll be back here complaining about how mommy and daddy are unfair.

Friendly tip about walls in most organisations - they're like that soft rubber on kneepads that hardens on impact. The harder you hit the wall the harder it gets.

Make a positive contribution to what already exists AND piggyback your agenda on that. Consider that when formulating your survey.

OK thermo - now it's Goodbye, butthurt and what was your other one --- oh ja STFU

Gotcha Dale - just giving back what I got dished. If you poke a mamil they are known to bite

Easy there, MAMIL, with that sign-off remark

Lekka wisdom in your post.

Just a thought .... having done my time on various different committees over the years.

"The AGM" is not the forum to discuss "big issues".  YES, I know this is OFTEN very frustrating to members of the club/home owners etc ....

It is difficult enough dealing with all the legally required logistical items at a typical AGM.  At best a few brief moments can be allocated to "additional items" that have been added to the Agenda.

Consider sending a letter to the committee at least 60 days before the AGM - thus granting the committee time to digest the content, have their typical monthly meeting discuss it, consider options, AND time to prepare a considered feedback at the AGM.

PS - I DO support the club, and the current committee.  I am very thankful for everything they put in place for us.  And yet I am also able to understand the requests for more technical trails.