Tygerberg MTB Club Trails

JasonS

Tygerberg MTB Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a member of the club?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, because most of the 150km of the trails are generally speaking, smooth as tar.
  2. 2. If you answered No to Q1: If TMTB was more open to the suggestions of it's members iro the technical nature of the trails, would you consider becoming a member?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am a member
  3. 3. If you answered Yes to Q1: Would you like to see more of your membership fees spent on increasing the variety of the trail network?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A: I am not a member

Glad to see this thread/poll hasn't been shut down yet and that we have made some pretty good progress regarding approaching Tygerberg about building some dreamy slow tech trails.

On a related but somewhat off topic note, I was away this weekend. Went to Sanddrif in the Cederberg and I was smart enough to take my bike along despite it having been a work "breakaway". I went up there expecting farm roads and maybe some jeep track, I actually felt like a bit of a fool rolling in there with my 160mm coil shocked bad boy. Man was I wrong! All I can say is that if you like natural trails, Sanddrif is heaven. They have some of the funnest rocky descents I have ridden in a long time. The sand on the flatter sections is difficult, but it's well worth the effort once you head down through the narrow scree filled single tracks.

Pitchas of the bike!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we've been told by the committee the following via a mate who's been in contact:

AGM 18 March. At 18h00, for 18h30. Non members are welcome, can RSVP via a member as a +1,2,etc... They are not allowed to have input, vote / sway the proceedings. There is an agenda for the evening, that does sound like it includes a 'general'  block somewhere in it. Apparently this evening is not much of a Q&A one. Got to vote in new committee, got budget speech, some other speech, and the trail build forecast / plan for the year (delivered by Patrick)/

And not keen from what I/we can tell to have a discussion on the topic before the AGM.

SO...anyone who has any interest in seeing improvement on the trails from a technical (or gnar...they ARE mutually exclusive) perspective, please pull though so everyone can show support.

Anyway, there is a section under "general" where I suspect they expect us/whomever to broach this topic and have a discussion.

May have/would have been better to have it before the AGM, but let's see. Any discussion is better than nothing.

Edited by Thermophage

I know you don't want to hear this.

I just want to point out one that an AGM is generally a very boring affair where finances are discussed and presented and a committee is (re)elected and plans for the year are presented.

It's generally a frustrating event for someone who has a legit concern that they'd like to have addressed. Like your concerns for example.

It might not be the correct forum to bring up this type of thing and they might feel a little ambushed if you want to raise a topic that is not on their agenda. Especially if you are a non member. If you want trail changes the best thing would probably be to try and get some sort of special meeting with the committee.

Good luck with your quest for more tech trails. I'm sure everyone is hopeful for a successful outcome.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Good Morning!!

Guys and gals, I will probably not reply to the posts where I get quoted on this morning... got loads of work to do, for purdy much most of the day.

I do want to say that I am keen to start going to the formal meetings held by Tygerberg, and start seeing the formal processes they have in place. The only way to calm noise and chatter, is by finding the truth, and listening to that. Thereafter, things are bound to become clearer. I heard there is no two way communication with the club? I would like to go hear? I want to witness this atrocity if it is real, and then start figuring out how we as paying members can stop this injustice if it truly presents itself. I understand structure, and formal approaches. Do or do not, there is no try. I intend to in a calm, productive approach, play a part in my club. 

I know there are tons of reasons why most people would want to stay away. There are tons of quotes all over BH to support this. I am not really keen on focusing on them at the moment, they've played their part in my thought process. Mostly leading me to go have some Tygerberg AGM cupcakes, and hear what the hullabaloo is about.

Tygerberg will still send out the formal invites to the members to the AGM, but, I gather the "save the date" has been sent out. 18 March 2020. More info will surely be in the email that will be sent. I also understand that members can take a +1,2,...?

I want to be there on the night, I want to be educated the next morning (even if just a smidgen). I really just want to witness, and if the club needs help I will like Cyril say, "Send Me / Thuma Mina". 

I love riding my bike, and I would love to ensure that we all keep on doing it for years on end. I love Tygerberg MTB Club. I know some lekker people involved, and have met loads of other lekker people on the trails. The show is not over, the writing is not on the wall. I will be riding for as long a I can, and I will be trying my utmost to ensure a healthy community, and awesome trails. :)

So, if you keen, keep an eye out for the mail from the club, and come through. If you not a member, ask a buddy member to invite you? Lets go listen to the heartbeat of this cause of frustration. Only then can a thorough diagnosis be made, and sensible approach be taken.

I hope they have snacks... 

I just want to point out one that an AGM is generally a very boring affair where finances are discussed and presented and a committee is (re)elected and plans for the year are presented.

It's generally a frustrating event for someone who has a legit concern that they'd like to have addressed. Like your concerns for example.

It might not be the correct forum to bring up this type of thing and they might feel a little ambushed if you want to raise a topic that is not on their agenda. Especially if you are a non member. If you want trail changes the best thing would probably be to try and get some sort of special meeting with the committee.

Good luck with your quest for more tech trails. I'm sure everyone is hopeful for a successful outcome.

Duane I'm going to tell you what I tell most of the hamstringers who've responded here. Please read my post before commenting.

As I said, we were told to bring it up there by the committee.

I have been to their AGM before  so I know what they are like. As with all other AGM's.

Nobody is expecting a decision on the topic to be made at the AGM, that woudl be plain stupid of us or anyone.

But the discussion should at least be opened to show the committee that this is an issue which present, past and potentially future members are concerned with which THEN will/should make them more accommodating to opening real discussions post AGM.

Sorry if I'm coming across strongly but I'm getting a bit gatvol of ppl's comments like this. 

Will high five in person sometime  :thumbup:

Edited by Thermophage

Duane I'm going to tell you what I tell most of the hamstringers who've responded here. Please read my post before commenting.

Calm down and keep your ego in check little man. We're on your side here.

Calm down and keep your ego in check little man. We're on your side here.

Bro, there's 4kol ego.

If you're "on our side" then arrive at AGM and show support for the cause.

This sounds eminently reasonable to me and I would hope very likely to bring about a collaborative approach to the problem.

As I said, we were told to bring it up there by the committee.

I have been to their AGM before  so I know what they are like. As with all other AGM's.

Nobody is expecting a decision on the topic to be made at the AGM, that woudl be plain stupid of us or anyone.

But the discussion should at least be opened to show the committee that this is an issue which present, past and potentially future members are concerned with which THEN will/should make them more accommodating to opening real discussions post AGM.

Sorry if I'm coming across strongly but I'm getting a bit gatvol of ppl's comments like this. 

Will high five in person sometime  :thumbup: