2020 Tour de PPA

Sbloomer

This is the second race Banhoek MTB and Tour de PPA where vehicles have been broken into; cars being remote jammed and locks forced open. This in the presence of countless event security, PPA please address before it gets worse !! I was a victim on both occasions, just confirmed 5 total with Durbanville SAPS

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did go down to B to up Travis seeding. Finally got his A [emoji16]

That's a great pity because he doesn't deserve an A seeding. He spent all of 5 seconds on the front and when he was the speed went down.....downhill.

The flip side of the coin is that you put on a good demonstration of the power of teamwork.

That's a great pity because he doesn't deserve an A seeding. He spent all of 5 seconds on the front and when he was the speed went down.....downhill.

The flip side of the coin is that you put on a good demonstration of the power of teamwork.

How many people in A actually "deserve" their A seeding? And how many got lucky by wheelsucking the right people in the right race. If you only had people there who work up front A bunch (and most other bunches) would be a lonely place...

My first PPA event down in the Cape. It was good and bad. But we will get into that later.

Started in K so I have a VERY different view of the race to everyone else here. 

There was an awesome vibe at the start. The chutes were weird but it was pretty well organised and the marshals were cheery. Felt good at the start even though I had no clue what to expect. 

They split the K group at the person behind me so I was at the back of the chute. I didn't realise the "GO" had been signalled so I was slow out the chute and had already lost touch with the starting group.

Basically, from the beginning, I rode the race alone. 

This was OKAY as the race had a good feeling. The route was pretty and there was enough signage and marshals to make me feel like I had support around me.

The vibe continued even through Visserhoek. After those undulating hills, the cops and marshals provided so much great support!

Then the route split..

Then the head winds hit...

And then the people disappeared.

Between 40km and 80km, the race SUCKED!

We all were basically cycling by ourselves through ridiculous head and cross winds. I was on my lowest gear on these flats struggling to push beyond 15kph. And there was NO ONE around meaning it was just mental anguish. The lack of marshals made things worse because there was no one to push you onwards. I made it my thing that when I passed someone or someone passed me, I would say "well done" or "keep it up" or even offer someone some help. Just to make sure morale was kept as high up as possible. Luckily, though, the water points were really great in terms of support.

Around 80km at one of the turns, the head winds disappeared and I rejoiced. I think I picked up my average speed to 27kph for a 10km stretch. This burnt me out but it felt good and helped my time. I then took another turn and BOOM, headwind and ya, that was it. From then on, I would just be nursing myself to the end. It was just me, my will power, and the little energy I had left.

After just under 6 hours of riding, I finally got to the end! I was really proud of myself for doing this. Doing around 100km at a major event like the 947, Amashova, or CTCT is much easier for someone at the back because there are just so many people to help you along the way. Doing it on a lonely race like this is an amazing achievement.

They really should take this account in seedings! I put 30% more effort than basically everyone else! But I digress.

There was no fanfare at the end. They were already rolling up the Racetec mats. That neutral zone was THE WORST as I expected a downhill but it was a "net downhill" with that last climb (in the INTENSE heat) breaking me worse than anything in the race.

I got to the end and my medal but everyone was already packing up. No drinks or food or medical assistance at the end. I know there were still a couple people out on the road behind me so it was probably worse when they got back. I have experienced some really bad finishes in Johannesburg but this was definitely the worst with regards to what support they had at the end.

But all in all, I was happy I did the race. Maybe us slow-pokes can get some more support but no cycling organisers seem to want to do this on the slower races. Oh well.

How many people in A actually "deserve" their A seeding? And how many got lucky by wheelsucking the right people in the right race. If you only had people there who work up front A bunch (and most other bunches) would be a lonely place...

true very true, 

I just find it as irritating as the snake at the office who rides your coat tails to reward and recognition and then they're windgat about it

Yeah I started at the bank of KL1 as well. So you would have been riding with me for a while I guess.

I was having a good ride up until the leg out of Durbanville, even beating my record up Vissershoek. But as you say it got to be a very lonely ride for much of the rest of the race into that wind. No group riding and what there was, was this dude sucking my wheel for around 15km with his annoying bike computer or GPS chiming every 30 or so seconds. I eventually dropped him just before the WP at Windmeul. I was a bit the moer in because at the back of the field, one would expect people to help each other, but not wanting the be the curmudgeon I normally am I didn't say anything.

The last 20km uphill into the wind along Adderley was soul destroying, but I can only imagine what it was like for the poor people on the short route I passed on the way to the finish.

But, as you say a finish is a finish, and nothing to be sneered at. Upwards of 4-5 hours on a bike is a long time, and can be a painful lonely affair.

My wife gave me this for my birthday but I think I’m going to burn it. It seems to provide too much motivation for people to pass me [emoji23]

8d33eeaa41afdf10791e2b8d13afe89b.jpg

My first PPA event down in the Cape. It was good and bad. But we will get into that later.

There was an awesome vibe at the start. The chutes were weird but it was pretty well organised and the marshals were cheery. Felt good at the start even though I had no clue what to expect.

They split the K group at the person behind me so I was at the back of the chute. I didn't realise the "GO" had been signalled so I was slow out the chute and had already lost touch with the starting group.

This was OKAY as the race had a good feeling. The route was pretty and there was enough signage and marshals to make me feel like I had support around me.

The vibe continued even through Visserhoek. After those undulating hills, the cops and marshals provided so much great support!

Then the route split..

We all were basically cycling by ourselves through ridiculous head and cross winds. I was on my lowest gear on these flats struggling to push beyond 15kph. And there was NO ONE around meaning it was just mental anguish. The lack of marshals made things worse because there was no one to push you onwards. I made it my thing that when I passed someone or someone passed me, I would say "well done" or "keep it up" or even offer someone some help. Just to make sure morale was kept as high up as possible. Luckily, though, the water points were really great in terms of support.

Around 80km at one of the turns, the head winds disappeared and I rejoiced. I think I picked up my average speed to 27kph for a 10km stretch. This burnt me out but it felt good and helped my time. I then took another turn and BOOM, headwind and ya, that was it. From then on, I would just be nursing myself to the end. It was just me, my will power, and the little energy I had left.

After just under 6 hours of riding, I finally got to the end! I was really proud of myself for doing this. Doing around 100km at a major event like the 947, Amashova, or CTCT is much easier for someone at the back because there are just so many people to help you along the way. Doing it on a lonely race like this is an amazing achievement.

They really should take this account in seedings! I put 30% more effort than basically everyone else! But I digress.

There was no fanfare at the end. They were already rolling up the Racetec mats. That neutral zone was THE WORST as I expected a downhill but it was a "net downhill" with that last climb (in the INTENSE heat) breaking me worse than anything in the race.

I got to the end and my medal but everyone was already packing up. No drinks or food or medical assistance at the end. I know there were still a couple people out on the road behind me so it was probably worse when they got back. I have experienced some really bad finishes in Johannesburg but this was definitely the worst with regards to what support they had at the end.

But all in all, I was happy I did the race. Maybe us slow-pokes can get some more support but no cycling organisers seem to want to do this on the slower races. Oh well.

Edited by Sbloomer

Travis actually spent a fair amount of time on the front into the headwind on the way back to Durbanville, some big efforts distancing a lot of hanger-on-ers. Probably more deserving of the A seeding than most in the A bunch, knows how to ride on the front. 

I dont think you know who Travis is...

This is the second race Banhoek MTB and Tour de PPA where vehicles have been broken into; cars being remote jammed and locks forced open. This in the presence of countless event security, PPA please address before it gets worse !! I was a victim on both occasions, just confirmed 5 total with Durbanville SAPS

The problem is & they have been caught before that's why I can say this, it is people that walk among us. Its not your typical "skelm looking" person, these special kind blend in with the crowd, unsuspecting, kitted in cycling clothes, etc when you catch these folk & you actually see what they look like and who they are, you'll understand that there is no way you can hold the organizer accountable or the security at the event. To put your mind at ease go to Delvera bike Centre and speak to Meurant Botha about this and he'll tell you all you want to know about this subject how they personally caught these guys at their events.

Then the route split..

Also a backmarker here. I feel your pain. Well done on finishing