UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

Mens race was great, ladies .. well one person dominating from the start does not make a great race, for me at least, Which is what MvdP is used to doing in CX, attack early and never to be seen again.

Man of the match for me is MF, also what he said at the end about being happy with his place ultimately with a smile, unlike grumpy NS

I'm going to have to polish up my German for that commentary, don't know if I can take another season of that hack Rob Walnut. Sure he is popular but so uniformed it hurts. Surely it should be  a criteria that commentator have a broad knowledge of cycling and of the athletes.

But hey its free, so should not complain should I.

I think he has the knowledge. To me it seems that he tries to field a question to Bart (the XCO expert) for him to answer and inform the public. The problem is they do not understand half of what the other guy is saying. Rob asks if most ladies will be using hardtails, then Bart answers no and continues to explains how the ladies won't be using full suspension bikes!?

Either way, the commentary is utter crap. 

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume Alan will be going to Tokyo (if it happens).

I guess he has an outside chance of a medal, but a lot would need to go wrong for the bigger names there. 

https://www.uci.org/mountain-bike/rankings

if start position is on this basis, then he should have a decent shout from 2nd row at least - but covid/selection and all could make it a real interesting one off.

Mountain bike
The UCI Olympic Qualification Ranking is confirmed to be that of 3 March 2020 combined with the results of the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup events held in 2021 before the end of the Qualification Period (currently 16 May, but at latest, in the case of any postponement, 6 June). Two UCI World Cup rounds (Albstadt, Germany, on 8 - 9 May, and Nove Mesto Na Morave, Czech Republic, on 15 – 16 May) currently fall within this Qualification Period in 2021, meaning qualification will finish on the final day of the second round of the UCI World Cup. At present, both events look set to go ahead as planned.

Isn't pocket rocket Pidcock also in the mix? 

I think so.

Gonna be hot.

for a first ever uci xco race that was fantastic. included a puncture too it seems. I assume he will get an olympic slot with this result

for a first ever uci xco race that was fantastic. included a puncture too it seems. I assume he will get an olympic slot with this result

Got to take what Rob says with a pinch of salt but he said in the commentary that team GB didn't have a spot in the Olympics and it depended on what happened with other countries... Which sounds bizarre to be honest... But.. If you take rankings etc from the 2019/20 there was no GB riders in the mix... So why would they have a spot... Still.. The system seems crazy

Edit.. Make some sense of this...

Edited by Stretch

I heard Rob say something about the British men not having a spot at Olympics? Did I misunderstand completely or is there something to that statement?

I assume Alan will be going to Tokyo (if it happens).

I guess he has an outside chance of a medal, but a lot would need to go wrong for the bigger names there.

if start position is on this basis, then he should have a decent shout from 2nd row at least - but covid/selection and all could make it a real interesting one off.

SA currently has one guaranteed spot, courtesy of the African Champs, so I assume AH will get that spot.

There are 38 spots in total:

Japan gets one (as hosts).

The top 30 spots are allocated based on the nations ranking. Positions 1-2 have 3 riders, 3-7 have 2 spots and positions 8-21 have 1 slot each.

SA are currently in 16th, so should be okay for that spot.

Then Africa, Asia andPan-America get a spot each for their continental champs. Second assumption is that SA gets two spots (African Champ and also based on SA currently being ranked 16th).

Last 4 spots go to the World Champs in 2019 for Elite and U23 (looks like top 2 places).

There was talk yesterday that Team GB doesn’t currently have a spot for the Olympics, so as things stand, Pidcock won’t be going. GB are ranked 22nd, and currently miss out by one place. All that could change depending on how other nations feature in these two rounds this week. Aus and NZ are currently ahead of GB.

I heard Rob say something about the British men not having a spot at Olympics? Did I misunderstand completely or is there something to that statement?

ja i dunno about that,

According to the which don't reflect Albstadt rankings he was in 28th spot, (but that includes some u23 results), But it's based on a countries total points. Bizarrely the next placed GB rider is some guy down in 260 place, so he is pretty much on his own. clearly no XC scene at all in the UK anymore.

so I go digging into the UCI website, for the Olympic qualis.

nations 1+2 send 3 riders (Fra+Sui)

nations 3-7 send 2

nations 8-21 send one. (ZA  = 13)

Guess where GB is currently, 22nd?

What i can't fully believe is that it limits the field to just 30 riders. Rio had 50.

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/official-documents/tokyo-2020---olympic-games/final---2021-04-27---tokyo-2020---revised-qualification-system---mtb---eng.pdf

They have not had a competitor accumulate points in the UCI log for a few years now so Pidcock qualifying for the Olympics is an outside chance

ja i dunno about that,

According to the which don't reflect Albstadt rankings he was in 28th spot, (but that includes some u23 results), But it's based on a countries total points. Bizarrely the next placed GB rider is some guy down in 260 place, so he is pretty much on his own. clearly no XC scene at all in the UK anymore.

so I go digging into the UCI website, for the Olympic qualis.

nations 1+2 send 3 riders (Fra+Sui)

nations 3-7 send 2

nations 8-21 send one. (ZA  = 13)

Guess where GB is currently, 22nd?

What i can't fully believe is that it limits the field to just 30 riders. Rio had 50.

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/official-documents/tokyo-2020---olympic-games/final---2021-04-27---tokyo-2020---revised-qualification-system---mtb---eng.pdf

Covid Protocol

Nobody watches beyond the top 10 at the Olympics anyway

Edited by DieselnDust

damnit why didn't i just go to wikipedia!!

but since those are from 2020, they are precovid it seems - mine is April27 2021

Last year UCI points did not count

Covid Protocol

Nobody watches beyond the top 10 at the Olympics anyway

Some really good guys going to be left at home! although i don't think brazil will use both slots.

Although now i don't really trust these rankings. Ukraine and Chile in the top10.. surely that's not right

Vader vs MvdP for one slot

Last year UCI points did not count

I'm actually not even going to bother any further. with this weekend being the last opportunity for points, I'm sure someone will work it out who needs to do what:

here's form the latest brief:

The UCI Olympic Qualification ranking is the sum of: -

the UCI Cross-country Nation ranking of 28 May 2019 (including results from 28 May 2018 to 27 May 2019) -

the UCI Cross-country Nation ranking including results from 28 May 2019 until 3 March 2020

and in addition the two (2) World Cup events of the 2021 season scheduled to take place within the Qualification Period, if held

Yeah.. Pretty impressive to maintain a podium standing on his legs for half a lap.. Makes you wonder if the weight sacrifice of a manual override would be worth it. Lecomte also had some issues with her dropper... But hers was just getting stuck (probably from some dust/dirt)

A decent, well maintained dropper should not fail over the course of a race weekend. Its possible they trained for a few days on a very wet track before the sun came out for the race weekend. But then surely they should have been cleaned up/serviced before what was a totally dry race. 

A decent, well maintained dropper should not fail over the course of a race weekend. Its possible they trained for a few days on a very wet track before the sun came out for the race weekend. But then surely they should have been cleaned up/serviced before what was a totally dry race. 

It was an AXS dropper no? Possibly a connection issue or problem with the remote?

At least that is where cables are great, you can just pull it up...