UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Alan and possibly Mariske would be my bet. She's showing better form as we get closer to the Olympics. However likely only Alan will get the nod since he's the only one showing medal potential. The ladies field is just too deep in talent at the moment for our girls to have a realistic shot at top 15. Mariske could do a top 20 though.

Long as we can send two am good. Competition is very tough, especially in what weve seen so far...

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Pidcock is on an unbranded BMC 4 stroke

Would like to know what wheels he is using. 
Hopefue few pics tomorrow on Pinkbike.

Massi open mold, probably Tomus and Allebike as well. 
Those Wiawis bikes are interesting.

Do not think you can get an MMR at a reasonable price.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Annie Last?

Pretty sure she is British and has won an elite XCO race..........

I think the reference was to Mens XC - been few and far between from the UK at the elite level for the past while. The lads tend to go for Downhill, they don't like pedaling and more time for the pub.

3 hours ago, Baracuda said:

After all the years of Scott vs Specialized etc etc, "the only bikes one could possibly race on", these young punks arrive from road and cyclocross and win on unbranded bikes. I think it is quite funny

That mentality exists only in SA.

1 hour ago, kosmonooit said:

Which is why Tom probably went into CX first, that is more established there than XCO

Actually he started in XCO in the equivalent of nippers class if I heard him correctly. CX only came later as a teen.

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

Would like to know what wheels he is using. 
Hopefue few pics tomorrow on Pinkbike.

Massi open mold, probably Tomus and Allebike as well. 
Those Wiawis bikes are interesting.

Do not think you can get an MMR at a reasonable price.

Groupset is XTR but wheels are either DT Swiss XCR 1200 Spline or the same units MVDP is using Duke Lucky Jack laced to XTR hubs. Those were the two tested but seemed to like the latter more.

Looks like he runs a 100mm stem on a size small with 750mm/760mm bar

Edited by DieselnDust

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Groupset is XTR but wheels are either DT Swiss XCR 1200 Spline or the same units MVDP is using Duke Lucky Jack laced to XTR hubs. Those were the two tested but seemed to like the latter more.

Looks like he runs a 100mm stem on a size small with 750mm/760mm bar

Is it not illegal to run a long stem with wide'ish bars ... he could certainly be a candidate for bar ends too! :P

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

He doesn’t even drink coffee; OJ is drink of choice.

Look the guy is great but I cannot identify with someone who won’t drink beer and or coffee 

I watched something recently where he was testing his new xc bike - judging by the pace he hadn’t had any beers and he seems pretty sharp for a guy who hadn’t had a coffee - I respect that but I can’t identify 

20 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

Any sport with a ball is outside my realm of reality... so no comment on the kriket analogy.

But talking XCM vs XCO vs CX etc its different for the average recreational mtb cyclist like myself, those events like Sabie, Barberton, Crater Cruise, Lion Man etc were / are a chance to get out of town and have a good day out on a mtb in nature, in parts not normally accessible. Most ride to finish, not for results. I consistently finished at a pace twice that of the winning time, and I was happy with that. 

XCO racing, whilst I am a fan, I would and do not enjoy, you need to be on very a high  level and I don't really enjoy going round in circles, I like an adventure, to go out there and back. Same with CX, big fan but I am not a racer and probably that applies to most cyclists.

So what happened to all those XCM events like I mentioned? In my opinion they got too commercial, what with mtb being the new golf, they all became part of a bigger brand and  were milked dry to the point of extinction.   Once I saw the VIP tents at the start/ finish areas, I knew the end was nigh.

Also a certain series turned itself into a dom two day event, that did not work out did it.

Around about now used to be the Lion Man in Bela Bela. You are missed. Magalies Monster seems to have survived though, as have a few other grass roots events.

We used to love coming down from Botswana to these events.We would have 8 to 10 riders all staying over.Lion Man was a magic event.Even our own Kalahari Challenge was full every year until the organizers tried to get too fancy

13 hours ago, Baracuda said:

After all the years of Scott vs Specialized etc etc, "the only bikes one could possibly race on", these young punks arrive from road and cyclocross and win on unbranded bikes. I think it is quite funny

Nothing “unbranded” on any bike in that field. Not even close. Not even the gazebo’s they use I the pits come from Makro.. 

MVP’s bike had World Championship wins on it before he arrived and TP’s bike won the Men’s World Champs last year. 

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Actually he started in XCO in the equivalent of nippers class if I heard him correctly. CX only came later as a teen.

Probably, although his Wiki lists only starts his extensive and impressive list of results in 2015, and mtb from 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pidcock

But I am sure he was knocking around on an mtb around Leeds right from the get-go.

One word - incredible!

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Is it not illegal to run a long stem with wide'ish bars ... he could certainly be a candidate for bar ends too! :P

Upon further investigation the bars are closer to 720mm. Had to take multiple pauses in the bike test video to get a good shot where the stem and bar are not being distorted by the wide angle lens. So narrow bars long stem on a long low and slack bike.....must be doping

For some very strange reason I failed to put Tommy P in my PB league team and backed that has-been Nino. You're out for Leogang buddy. Time for that Zimmer frame ???? 

I couldn't afford both he and MVDP so went with the more obvious choice. Still a good haul of points and the Ladies did me proud. Vic on the other hand, what a shocker of a race for Koretsky. I should have sold his sorry ****.  Hope he's not a one hit wonder