Cyclist knocked by Taxi

FootballingCyclist

They are the most effective public* transport system, cost efficient with zero subsidies and a "free market". ...

How much tax is this R90 billion industry paying? 

From https://albertonrecord.co.za/180858/taxistrike-5-things-may-not-known-sas-minibus-taxi-industry/   (2018 figures)

SA National Taxi Council (Santaco), said last year that there are more than 200 000 minibus taxis in South Africa‚ generating more than R90 billion every year. The industry mostly utilizes a cash economy which also makes it difficult to control, trace, keep records of and tax. Reuters published an article that found that each taxi makes an annual revenue of approximately R450, 000, R1, 236 per day, or R37, 500 per month assuming a taxi is in operation every day except Christmas Day.

Edited by Pieter-za

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much tax is this R90 billion industry paying? 

From https://albertonrecord.co.za/180858/taxistrike-5-things-may-not-known-sas-minibus-taxi-industry/   (2018 figures)

I've asked this question before and was told that the Taxi Unions pay Tax and then in turn charge the taxi bosses... So I'd say virtually nothing hence the term "The second economy" 

I've asked this question before and was told that the Taxi Unions pay Tax and then in turn charge the taxi bosses... So I'd say virtually nothing hence the term "The second economy" 

I read an article a while back about exactly what taxis contribute in terms of taxes etc. The one tax the article mentioned was the fuel and associated taxes. Each taxi probably fills up every day or every second day, so that's a fair amount of "taxes" they pay. 

Of course they should be paying income tax etc. But just pointing out the fuel taxes. 

I drive the N2 in CT every day and it's truly astonishing the number of taxis that operate. The reality is though that all those taxis could be replaced by 5 or 6 on-time trains throughout the morning. Looking at a city like NY, they manage to move huge numbers of people with trains and buses. 

The reality is we'll never get there because the taxi industry will never surrender their position. 

I read an article a while back about exactly what taxis contribute in terms of taxes etc. The one tax the article mentioned was the fuel and associated taxes. Each taxi probably fills up every day or every second day, so that's a fair amount of "taxes" they pay. 

Of course they should be paying income tax etc. But just pointing out the fuel taxes. 

I drive the N2 in CT every day and it's truly astonishing the number of taxis that operate. The reality is though that all those taxis could be replaced by 5 or 6 on-time trains throughout the morning. Looking at a city like NY, they manage to move huge numbers of people with trains and buses. 

The reality is we'll never get there because the taxi industry will never surrender their position. 

Technically that fuel tax covers the mileage they travel on the roads everyday and the risk associated with this high mileage ... then the high probability of accidents and the effect it has on the road accident fund...so I recon they are still short changing the system.

The most dangerous taxis out there are empty taxis. Sure, a taxi full of passengers will take some risks and cut corners, but this generally pales in comparison to what an empty taxi is willing to do

I don't think we need more taxi's I would prefer public transport where the driver gets a fixed salary with benefits instead of chasing targets which leads to more risky behaviour on our roads. 

Sadly the passengers don't give a **** either, they'll complain about how the driver drivers but appreciates getting to their destination early cause the driver took a few risky moves. 

It's sad that neither the taxi unions, nor the government push for regulations around taxi driver compensation.  Surely the unions and the actual drivers have enough power to shift how the industry works?  Obviously plenty fear mongering going on, right from forcing passengers to ride taxi's instead of alternative public transport, right up to the taxi bosses with their "gangsterism". 

My cousin has a taxi business. He started way back in the 90's as a student at UWC. 6 months later He gave up studying law. Today he has probably about 50 vans. He takes no **** from his drivers, he gets rid of the ones that drive crap.  And now He is not a gangster. They are not all gangster even the drivers. The ones operating "stolen", unlicensed, un roadworthy vans are most likely gangsters. They normally operate in their hood. However at peak times they will chance trips from cape town to their area, especially when buses and trains have failed. I have plenty of friends who also have taxi businesses and they are no different to you and I and are not affiliated to any gangs.

And once upon a time, I was a guardtjie and even a driver for a short while.

I know of a guy that used to be a guardtjie that now owns one of the biggest Tour companies in Cape Town. Even helped me start my business 20 years ago.

more of the stories I'd like to be hearing, i know it's not all doom and gloom.

Speedy recovery to the victim. I do my best to be tolerant and understanding of taxi's; Shebeen style but today, minding my own business overtaking a truck at 105kph on a downhill in a 100kph zone I see this taxi zooming up behind me, literally to within about 1m of my rear bumper. I thought he was going to hit me and braced for impact as I had nowhere to go and too late to speed up. Then, in the fast lane, he decides he's going to push further right into the about 1m wide verge. Now I can see getting side swiped as well but was past the truck and could pull back, heart rate at max.

Needless to say my tolerance was well tested. Some of these guys are mad dangerous.