Cyclist knocked by Taxi

FootballingCyclist

Yes they are a plague but they are also not. 

IF they behaved on the roads it's actually a good transport system but the business model is wrong for the driver but great for the owner. 

nail on the head.

they are there because the previous dispensation designed their cities and left BIG gaps in social engineering.

So as much as you want to complain about them, they keep the country running.

They are the most effective public* transport system, cost efficient with zero subsidies and a "free market". they have setup structures and routes and systems without official planning that organically grew (sometimes with force). the costs obviously comes with huge incentive to literally cut corners in traffic and maintenance and safety is often unregulated.

They are not going away, as they fought for their spot in the ecosystem so need to be accomodated.

minibus taxis are a VERY complex issue.

*by public, i actually mean private. i just wonder why this can't be used to show all those silly labour unions who are so anti privitisation that the freemarket has created a form of transport that trumps all the nationally run and legislated ones.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need more taxi's I would prefer public transport where the driver gets a fixed salary with benefits instead of chasing targets which leads to more risky behaviour on our roads.

Sadly the passengers don't give a **** either, they'll complain about how the driver drivers but appreciates getting to their destination early cause the driver took a few risky moves.

Years ago.... I asked some of my coworkers who used taxis everyday why they did not take action against the “bad” ones and they just said “we are scared of them” indicating that they had weapons and reacted violently against anyone who tried to protest. Edited by SwissVan

nail on the head.

they are there because the previous dispensation designed their cities and left BIG gaps in social engineering.

So as much as you want to complain about them, they keep the country running.

They are the most effective public* transport system, cost efficient with zero subsidies and a "free market". they have setup structures and routes and systems without official planning that organically grew (sometimes with force). the costs obviously comes with huge incentive to literally cut corners in traffic and maintenance and safety is often unregulated.

They are not going away, as they fought for their spot in the ecosystem so need to be accomodated.

minibus taxis are a VERY complex issue.

*by public, i actually mean private. i just wonder why this can't be used to show all those silly labour unions who are so anti privitisation that the freemarket has created a form of transport that trumps all the nationally run and legislated ones.

Al Capone was also very efficient businessman.....

Didn't change the fact that he was a criminal acting above the law

nail on the head.

IMO. They are gangsters. Who do you think is behind the vandalizing of the trains in CT?

It costs my maid R30 more each way to get to my place if the buses are not running.

Extortionists, Vandals, Murderers, Gangsters.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

IMO. They are gangsters. Who do you think is behind the vandalizing of the trains in CT?

It costs my maid R30 more each way to get to my place if the buses are not running.

Extortionists, Vandals, Murderers, Gangsters.

I both agree and disagree with you there.

they are both a problem and a solution.

like i said it's a complex issue, many people would love to just throw them all into the kimberley hole. that would not improve things.

like i said it's a complex issue, many people would love to just throw them all into the kimberley hole. that would not improve things.

Sorry my comment wasn't aimed directly at you.

Agreed.

but we'll all feel a lot better and that will be a starting point 

I know most taxi drivers drive like scum bags, but those in the city CBD have always been awesome to me on the bicycle.

Spending hours on the road weekly throughout the year, my general experience here around Durbanville and Stellenbosch is of general courtesy shown by taxi drivers.

And life-threatening encounters in South Africans big luxury vehicles like Ford Rangers, Discovery and Fortuners.

Edited by 'Dale

My cousin has a taxi business. He started way back in the 90's as a student at UWC. 6 months later He gave up studying law. Today he has probably about 50 vans. He takes no **** from his drivers, he gets rid of the ones that drive crap.  And now He is not a gangster. They are not all gangster even the drivers. The ones operating "stolen", unlicensed, un roadworthy vans are most likely gangsters. They normally operate in their hood. However at peak times they will chance trips from cape town to their area, especially when buses and trains have failed. I have plenty of friends who also have taxi businesses and they are no different to you and I and are not affiliated to any gangs.

And once upon a time, I was a guardtjie and even a driver for a short while.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Spending hours on the road weekly throughout the year, my general experience here around Durbanville and Stellenbosch is of general courtesy shown by taxi drivers.

And life-threatening encounters in South Africans big luxury vehicles like Ford Rangers, Discovery and Fortuners.

Agree on the 2nd part, but I have had too many close calls with taxis on the small bit of my cycling commute that coincides with a major taxi route to agree with you on the 1st part. Some of those okes are extremely aggressive on the road and have no patience with a cyclist whom they perceive to be in their way.

Edited by Skubarra

As Shebeen said it's a super complex issue. 

There are decent taxi owners who are decent human beings but sadly we see more of the law dodgers on our roads everyday. 

Again a complex issue, on the same commute/ride you'll get a taxi driver who nearly takes you out and then another one who comes up behind you and gives you some advice or gives you a show to come in... 

Complex to say the least. 

Also you get passengers who advocate that reckless driving. Tell the driver they gonna be late, he must hurry up otherwise they wont drive with him again. Or if the driver drives and abides by the law, then they will say he is a waste of time and takes too long. Our staff have their drivers. Some of them refuse to use a taxi with a reckless driver.

Similar experience for me wrt to my commutes in Pretoria.  Very seldom had issues with the taxi guys.

Due to an unforeseen and best left unexplained turn of events we found our transport for year end function to be a properse Taxi - with the backseat replaced with speakers and the suspension that died in 1997. We were the only passengers and thought it a funny adventure. Until we asked the driver his point of view and opened many of us private vehicle owners' eyes. He was tired and stressed, had to push for clients which meant more money. Although he drove within (sort of) the road rules with us the road was littered with other Taxi's with the same mindset : faster delivery = more clients, more money.  This does not in any way excuse or give anyone the right to endanger other road users.EVER. I just wonder where the change will/should come in. The desperate drivers, Taxi bosses or better governing of the roads.

I just wish the cyclist in question a strong and quick recovery and hope for a change on our roads.

My cousin has a taxi business. He started way back in the 90's as a student at UWC. 6 months later He gave up studying law. Today he has probably about 50 vans. He takes no **** from his drivers, he gets rid of the ones that drive crap. And now He is not a gangster. They are not all gangster even the drivers. The ones operating "stolen", unlicensed, un roadworthy vans are most likely gangsters. They normally operate in their hood. However at peak times they will chance trips from cape town to their area, especially when buses and trains have failed. I have plenty of friends who also have taxi businesses and they are no different to you and I and are not affiliated to any gangs.

And once upon a time, I was a guardtjie and even a driver for a short while.

I know of a guy that used to be a guardtjie that now owns one of the biggest Tour companies in Cape Town. Even helped me start my business 20 years ago. Edited by urbanroyal