Cyclist knocked by Taxi

FootballingCyclist

Im forced to cross that road at times.not really a highway at that point.its scary bit to ride on though.

Im forced to cross that road at times.not really a highway at that point.its scary bit to ride on though.

Yet you still see people cycling on the M5 daily!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This didn't happen on a highway.

My turn to state the obvious.

You're victim blaming

That is a knob thing to do.

ergo. You're a knob.

Attacks ad hominem. 

THIS is why i come on the hub...

We've merged the threads. It seems two were created in error when you posted.

Some guidance to all participants in this thread (and any thread on Bike Hub).

Among our various User Comments Guidelines, this one is most often in need of a refresher and explained well below:

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember criticise ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

(SourceThe Universal Rules of Civilized Discourse)

---

If you're unable to conduct yourself in a civilised manner you will find yourself suspended from this platform.

Thanks for the information.  

Are you going to take any action against the name calling / ad hominem attacks already on this thread?

Sterkte to the cyclist... 

As for a claim, he has a better chance of falling pregnant getting money out. 

They have their ******* sly tactics of getting out of owning up.

My wife got clipped end of last year, driver turned into her lane cutting her off he then said she was at fault. He wouldn't show me his license for whatever reasons. Then he claimed he couldn't speak english, he didn't remember where he lived and when eventually they got the details out I google earthed where this box lives I thought ja, that's why he does what he does....

nothing sly they just blatantly lie.

I got rear ended by one a few weeks outside Constantia virgin active (no jokes please) heading north. Its down hill. He claimed I rolled backwards into him. My tow bar holed his radiator so he wants to claim from me.

The joke is the license plate belongs to a deceased party and is out of circulation till the estate is wrapped up. The License was invalid ( a poorly photocopied version taken off somone's kombi). and the driver doesn't have a license at least one that my insurance can trace LOL.

Lat night a taxi travelling northbound on the Main Road lakeside, overtakes 8 or 9 cars waiting at the red and nearly takes me out. Then stops 200m late outside the old bakery to drop off passengers. and repeats the exercise all the way to Steenberg road where he repeats his actions of overtaking in the oncoming lane. Everyone had to give way to this cretin. Not a cop in sight. 

I got rear ended by one a few weeks outside Constantia virgin active (no jokes please) heading north. Its down hill. He claimed I rolled backwards into him. My tow bar holed his radiator so he wants to claim from me.

The joke is the license plate belongs to a deceased party and is out of circulation till the estate is wrapped up. The License was invalid ( a poorly photocopied version taken off somone's kombi). and the driver doesn't have a license at least one that my insurance can trace LOL.

Lat night a taxi travelling northbound on the Main Road lakeside, overtakes 8 or 9 cars waiting at the red and nearly takes me out. Then stops 200m late outside the old bakery to drop off passengers. and repeats the exercise all the way to Steenberg road where he repeats his actions of overtaking in the oncoming lane. Everyone had to give way to this cretin. Not a cop in sight. 

They are a plague on our roads. And the joke is, if they get fined, pulled over, or held accountable in any way or form they just protest and block road a few days later. I just just made it out of Stellenbosch a few weeks ago as they started blocking roads - apparently protesting the fact that traffic officers are targeting and arresting them for not paying overdue fines.

They are a plague on our roads. And the joke is, if they get fined, pulled over, or held accountable in any way or form they just protest and block road a few days later. I just just made it out of Stellenbosch a few weeks ago as they started blocking roads - apparently protesting the fact that traffic officers are targeting and arresting them for not paying overdue fines.

The only solution is to impound the vehicle and take t straight to the wrecking yard and have it crushed immediately.

these thugs are break every law they can  from tax evasion to culpable homicide and everything inbetween. The embodiment of a lawless society

The only solution is to impound the vehicle and take t straight to the wrecking yard and have it crushed immediately.

these thugs are break every law they can  from tax evasion to culpable homicide and everything inbetween. The embodiment of a lawless society

That is actually the reason I think so many people are so p***ed off at taxis. They drive terribly, but most of the time it doesn't effect me, but what they represent just upsets me to my core every time one of the overtakes on the left or pulls over from the right lane.

That is actually the reason I think so many people are so p***ed off at taxis. They drive terribly, but most of the time it doesn't effect me, but what they represent just upsets me to my core every time one of the overtakes on the left or pulls over from the right lane.

whats worse is that the general public feel helpless and victimised by both lawless taxis and the law enforcement. Drive 71 in a 60 zone and not pay your fine and the weight of the law comes down on you for a measly R200-00

These taxi thugs incur fine in excess of R100K and can't be found.....yet tomorrow they're back on the street plying their trade.

no wonder no one gives a **** 

The problem is that we need taxis. We need a lot more in fact. There are too many people needing to travel far distances every day. And impounding and wrecking is going to affect 20 times more people that really need the service, than the 1 who's steering it.

The solution I think is we need the passengers to start stepping in. They're the ones that are put in harms way when being driven by these lunatics. The driver is only trying to get to the next fare, first. Its the people in them that somehow need to get them to behave properly. But short of mass action - which would seem impossible to coordinate or even validate almost, it seems a losing idea.

Perhaps we should start sharing fines across whomever is in a vehicle when its caught violating(?)

Attacks ad hominem. 

THIS is why i come on the hub...

I've been issued a warning for namecalling in this thread.

Will totally accept that, apologise to stevief directly and do my best to play the ball and not the man in future.

I should have been a bit more eloquent, but I do get angry with victim blaming.

Victim blaming when the victim is a cyclist doing nothing but riding their bike really hacks me off. I reacted to him being wrong, and then contradicting himself. While this is a cycling forum afterall, maybe I'm wrong to think that all members can see a scenario from a cyclists viewpoint. I don't know why Admin deleted his posts, I don't think he did anything against forum rules (it's not a crime to be wrong and then clearly contradict yourself).

At the end of the day, here's a cyclist riding his bike in the yellow lane getting taken out by a taxi - we should be discussing that and I don't want to be one of the guys steering it off that direction.

The problem is entertaining this kind of behavior on the road. You do not have to give way and let them pass. Eventually taxis will find other routes as they know they cant ride into oncoming traffic or force their way in. It already happens in other suburbs.

If only I had that 3L V6 already......

Yes they are a plague but they are also not. 

IF they behaved on the roads it's actually a good transport system but the business model is wrong for the driver but great for the owner. 

The problem is entertaining this kind of behavior on the road. You do not have to give way and let them pass. Eventually taxis will find other routes as they know they cant ride into oncoming traffic or force their way in. It already happens in other suburbs.

I had this very attitude BEFORE I had to pay excess on my car which I'll never get back however I don't give way easily but I do small things to upset them. 

I told two of them on Friday in my finest Afrikaapse that it was there friends blocking me off so I couldn't move which means they can't move...

If they ask to cut in front of me then I always point to my watch to indicate that I'm late or I tell them they can go behind me cause they going going to stop in a few metres. 

The problem is that we need taxis. We need a lot more in fact. There are too many people needing to travel far distances every day. And impounding and wrecking is going to affect 20 times more people that really need the service, than the 1 who's steering it.

The solution I think is we need the passengers to start stepping in. They're the ones that are put in harms way when being driven by these lunatics. The driver is only trying to get to the next fare, first. Its the people in them that somehow need to get them to behave properly. But short of mass action - which would seem impossible to coordinate or even validate almost, it seems a losing idea.

Perhaps we should start sharing fines across whomever is in a vehicle when its caught violating(?)

I don't think we need more taxi's I would prefer public transport where the driver gets a fixed salary with benefits instead of chasing targets which leads to more risky behaviour on our roads. 

Sadly the passengers don't give a **** either, they'll complain about how the driver drivers but appreciates getting to their destination early cause the driver took a few risky moves.