Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only 2 types of paddleskier that would paddle out there.

1. The ones named Nicky Caarstens (Spelling?)

2. The ones now in wheelchairs.

Nicki is generally how he spelled it.

I've paddled out at Llands. The tricks is to not get caught on the shore tightning a seat belt when a set is pounding in.

Proceed with caution. Also works best on a big day when you surf the outer break not the inner one.

and timing your paddle in is important or its going to hurt......a lot

sorry...but this chap was causing k*k. He was trying to be smart and it backfired on him. regardless of if i agree with the rules or not..dont be a smartass and you won'y end up in the back of a van

My Grandfather used to tell me there's no point in being a smartarse with someone who can make your life more miserable than you can make theirs.

There's only 2 types of paddleskier that would paddle out there.

1. The ones named Nicki Carstens

2. The ones now in wheelchairs.

:lol:

I'm sure it's doable (see from DiD it is) but it doesn't mean it's particularly clever. 

v true. I've heard of Nicki before. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nicki is generally how he spelled it.

My folks used to live in J Bay and I used to go up there all the time.

The best wave rider bar none I've ever seen at Supers was Nicki Carstens. BAR NONE!

Jordy, Mick Fanning, Tom Curren, Occy, Parko, Sean Holmes. I've seen them all but Nicki put on a clinic on a very sizeable day at Supers that was unnnbelievable and years ahead of everyone. And it was not small. 6 foot airs out the top of BIG supers and going well beyond vert.

And the price for failure at that place is rather large on a paddle ski.

No one was chirping goat boat or any of that crap when he came walking up the steps.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

:lol:

I'm sure it's doable (see from DiD it is) but it doesn't mean it's particularly clever. 

v true. I've heard of Nicki before. 

Nicki was SA champ a few times, was active during the period Sean McGuire and Kola Le Roux were active. Also went to Worlds a few times and did quite well. I think he won Worlds in the early 90's.

Still very much an active sport just not very well known.

Further on Llandudno, you don't want to be a beginner or anything less than an advanced intermediate waveskier to paddle out there. The rips are phenomenally strong when the surf is ideal. Not a place for anyone lacking confidence. I wouldn't go near it now. 20yrs ago, yeha bring it on. Today, i'm the guy munching a Machacho's chicken burger and chips on the beach and playing volleyball

Nicki was SA champ a few times, was active during the period Sean McGuire and Kola Le Roux were active. Also went to Worlds a few times and did quite well. I think he won Worlds in the early 90's.

Still very much an active sport just not very well known.

Further on Llandudno, you don't want to be a beginner or anything less than an advanced intermediate waveskier to paddle out there. The rips are phenomenally strong when the surf is ideal. Not a place for anyone lacking confidence. I wouldn't go near it now. 20yrs ago, yeha bring it on. Today, i'm the guy munching a Machacho's chicken burger and chips on the beach and playing volleyball

Rad, thanks for the additional info. 

Yeah, I've not bodyboarded since I left Durban in 2008. I was always a shark-biscuit in the strip up there. So while I've seen the break a few times I've not surfed it, and I've heard the rep it has. I'm quite aware that I'll probably need to start from almost scratch again if I do start up, but I'll definitely need to get used to the cold. And I'm not sure if I want to. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

the police should arrest paddleskiers just as a matter of course, it's a serious crime

Oi, they are now called waveski riders. It is just our manne that were called paddleskiers. But in the cape we were called boatmen.

Edited by TDFN

The best wave rider bar none I've ever seen at Supers was Nicki Carstens. BAR NONE!

Jordy, Mick Fanning, Tom Curren, Occy, Parko, Sean Holmes. I've seen them all but Nicki put on a clinic on a very sizeable day at Supers that was unnnbelievable and years ahead of everyone. And it was not small. 6 foot airs out the top of BIG supers and going well beyond vert.

No one was chirping goat boat or any of that crap when he came walking up the steps.

Mike Fourie, Craig Seal and the Macleod's would give him a serous run for his money. Unless you are talking about after we all retired.

So does walking without a mask make you stupid or mindlessly supporting ridiculous inconsistent rules?

The comment was not on the merit of rules.

It was general comment that stupid people walk amongst us.

My Grandfather used to tell me there's no point in being a smartarse with someone who can make your life more miserable than you can make theirs.

Wise man

No no no

Oi, they are now called waveski riders. It is just our manne that were called paddleskiers. But in the cape we were called boatmen.

Also went through paddle ski phase.Had Macski's and then I got an Aussie ski that I cannot remember the name for the life of me.

The Hoek was great but we rarely ventured far from Scarborough where we had a beach house

Also went through paddle ski phase.Had Macski's and then I got an Aussie ski that I cannot remember the name for the life of me.

The Hoek was great but we rarely ventured far from Scarborough where we had a beach house

Some interesting admissions of past crimes coming out here. Paddleskiers, boogieboarders.

Any longboarders?

or kneeborers...

I do not care what anyone says, but Sean Holmes is probably one of the best surfers at J-Bay on any given day. During one of the Billabong contests back in the noughts, he was out doing one of his heats, and Slater was watching him. Someone asked him who that was out there surfing, to which Kelly replied "the guy that is going to beat me". It happened as he expected.

Whenever I paddled out at Vic Bay (my ex local spot) I would feel pretty stupid on a surfboard if Sean was also out. but to watch him do what seemed impossible at the time was just mind blowing. He has such excellent style and flow, but he is explosive like no one's business.

I do not care what anyone says, but Sean Holmes is probably one of the best surfers at J-Bay on any given day. During one of the Billabong contests back in the noughts, he was out doing one of his heats, and Slater was watching him. Someone asked him who that was out there surfing, to which Kelly replied "the guy that is going to beat me". It happened as he expected.

Whenever I paddled out at Vic Bay (my ex local spot) I would feel pretty stupid on a surfboard if Sean was also out. but to watch him do what seemed impossible at the time was just mind blowing. He has such excellent style and flow, but he is explosive like no one's business.

The best surfer I ever shared the water with at Vic Bay back in the days was  Leonard Giles.  Nobody could really touch him on those right- handers and I think he won the SA champs when it was held there for the first time.