Your recommendation for bib shorts and longs

The Ghost

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the Assos Equipe RS S9 a couple of months ago and they work okay for longer rides, but for some reason I struggle to feel “square” with them and the saddle.

I've got two of those, they are by far the most comfortable bib I've tried until now.

I also have a Alé kit that I really like, almost as comfy as the RS S9 but the cut is much better for me, I find the RS a bit short and tight on the thighs, and I don't have big guns ;)

So from now on I'm definitely going to stick to these two brands, whenever I find a good special.

I have a Ciovita Corsa and a First ascent Elite, and both of these I wouldn't recommend for anyone who spends long hours on the bicycle, the ciovita's shamy was good for a while but now it feels very thin, and both the ciovita and first ascent feel like they're never centered (not sure if that's what you mean by "square").

Both of the above are superb.

I've had a few pairs, But my 1st pair which is the Mirage i got going on 3 years and they are still as good as new. No chaffing between the legs(and i have big thighs), Chamois still feels great and i racked up over 10 000 kms last year(obviously not all in the same bib but alot of my longer rides,4-5hr plus, were in the Vye bib). The only thing which i've noticed is the little silicone gripper dots have started to peel away, probably from all the warm washes, but the bib fits so well that it still doesn't ride up at all.

Northcliff cycles keeps the Moton range, a Chinese copy of Assos.............great value for money IMO. I have done a few 100 milers in them and find them very comfortable  :thumbup:

Edited by coppi

Also i see you're in Stellies and Max who works at Vye also lives in Stellies, I'm sure if you chat to him he will be able to bring you a sample to check out and even try on for sixing purposes.

there is a vye thread somewhere.

I've got the Mirage. It was very tight to begin with and took a little shifting of the chamois in the front during the first rides to ensure the junk was comfortable. But once it stretched a little it was all good.

As per Footballer above, the silicon dots have come off. Although mine started coming off pretty early on (might be me washing the bibs in the shower), but the fit is tight enough (or its my quadzilla legs) that there is no need for the silicone to keep the legs in place.

Its my go to bibs for ride under 2h30, I find my Ciovita Corsa bibs more comfortable for the longer rides.

I've actually relegated all my cheaper bibs to absolute emergency status as I find they chafe. I never noticed how bad it was until I started using the Vye for every ride and then recently used one of the others.

Vye mirage quad bibs are superb. I have pairs that are 5 years old and still going strong. The elastic interface brand chamois is comfortable and hard wearing.

My go to is Assos. I have tried a bunch of other brands and Assos just provides the best comfort. 

If you are looking for something a little cheaper Vye. I also have a Vye Velo bib, which I mostly use for indoor training no complaints. 

I have never really had a good experience with Ciovita bibs, I find them very uncomfortable. Some people rave about them, but they just don't work for me.

Both of the above are superb.

I've had a few pairs, But my 1st pair which is the Mirage i got going on 3 years and they are still as good as new. No chaffing between the legs(and i have big thighs), Chamois still feels great and i racked up over 10 000 kms last year(obviously not all in the same bib but alot of my longer rides,4-5hr plus, were in the Vye bib). The only thing which i've noticed is the little silicone gripper dots have started to peel away, probably from all the warm washes, but the bib fits so well that it still doesn't ride up at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

Going to purchase a Mirage and try it out.

Edited by M L

My go to is Assos. I have tried a bunch of other brands and Assos just provides the best comfort. 

If you are looking for something a little cheaper Vye. I also have a Vye Velo bib, which I mostly use for indoor training no complaints. 

I have never really had a good experience with Ciovita bibs, I find them very uncomfortable. Some people rave about them, but they just don't work for me.

Agree on Assos. Only problem with ASSOS is the base bib is R2700-00 and the S7 Mille GT is now R3500-00 on high street (typically around R2800 on sale) This is lot more expensive than a Vye, or Ciovita bib...

Agree on Vye, Velo is superb and at R1600 bucks darn great value.

On Ciovita Corsa 2.0 I have to admit its kind of grown on me somewhat. Maybe it's stretched out but the annoying rough seem has softened and the chamois is more comfy. Maybe I've gotten used to it but its pretty good now. Will see how it goes in a years time.

So in order of desirablility

ASSOS Equippe

Vye Velo

Ciovita Supremo/Corsa2.0

Agree on Assos. Only problem with ASSOS is the base bib is R2700-00 and the S7 Mille GT is now R3500-00 on high street (typically around R2800 on sale) This is lot more expensive than a Vye, or Ciovita bib...

Agree on Vye, Velo is superb and at R1600 bucks darn great value.

On Ciovita Corsa 2.0 I have to admit its kind of grown on me somewhat. Maybe it's stretched out but the annoying rough seem has softened and the chamois is more comfy. Maybe I've gotten used to it but its pretty good now. Will see how it goes in a years time.

So in order of desirablility

ASSOS Equippe

Vye Velo

Ciovita Supremo/Corsa2.0

every year or so you can score Equipe RS9 for 2300/2500, that's how I got both of mine ;)

EDIT: I'm smoking, it was 2900 both times ;)

Edited by Jbr

every year or so you can score Equipe RS9 for 2300/2500, that's how I got both of mine ;)

I get my Assos in from Europe via a mate with a suitcase. :)

Waaaaay cheaper that way. :)

Not everyone has that privilege though so I quote local sales pricing

That sounds like the good Black Friday deals but even those are becoming more and more rare ... :(

Assos are great but becoming harder to justify.

Entry level now costs what was once top tier.

It was not so long ago that spending R2500 on a S5 Fi.13 seemed ludicrous. LOL

Edited by Thomo

That sounds like the good Black Friday deals but even those are becoming more and more rare ... :(

Assos are great but becoming harder to justify.

Entry level now costs what was once top tier.

It was not so long ago that spending R2500 on a S5 Fi.13 seemed ludicrous. LOL

my first one was black friday from CWC, then I bought another one recently from cyclelab, but I checked now and they're gone.

They're not harder to justify since like you say now entry level ones go for around 2k, and in my opinion the assos are so much better than the others I've tried in the 1,7/2k price point that I'll gladely spend an extra R900 for them

When it comes to spending 4 to 5k for bibs, that's another story.

I get my Assos in from Europe via a mate with a suitcase. :)

Waaaaay cheaper that way. :)

Not everyone has that privilege though so I quote local sales pricing

I'm planning a trip to france soon, gonna fill up my suitcase with some Alé stuff  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

And loads of bicycle/motorbike parts as usual... mostly brake pads ;)