Your recommendation for bib shorts and longs

The Ghost

Agree on Assos. Only problem with ASSOS is the base bib is R2700-00 and the S7 Mille GT is now R3500-00 on high street (typically around R2800 on sale) This is lot more expensive than a Vye, or Ciovita bib...

Agree on Vye, Velo is superb and at R1600 bucks darn great value.

On Ciovita Corsa 2.0 I have to admit its kind of grown on me somewhat. Maybe it's stretched out but the annoying rough seem has softened and the chamois is more comfy. Maybe I've gotten used to it but its pretty good now. Will see how it goes in a years time.

So in order of desirablility

ASSOS Equippe

Vye Velo

Ciovita Supremo/Corsa2.0

I found the ciovita bib caused a lot of chaffing, especially on longer rides. I have heard good things from the corsa 2. Ciovita bibs I ridden with, Corsa 1 and apex.

I can definitely relate to the seam issue mentioned. My one ciovita bib was completely destroyed after about a year of riding. All stitching around chamois came loose.

Keen to hear how you find the corsa 2 after long term use

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...then I bought another one recently from cyclelab, but I checked now and they're gone.

Yeah, Cyclelab/CWC have/had a few odd sizes/last of range if lucky.

Equipe R2500, Campionissimo R3500.

So if you're XS or xxxl they may still have something.

To add to the lists above, I recently got a Sportful bib(Sportful and Castelli are pretty much the same and brought into SA by the same company) and I absolutely love it. If you're a bigger fellow, Check out their website as for today only they have a 40% sale off everything on their site at www.sportful.co.za 

To add to the lists above, I recently got a Sportful bib(Sportful and Castelli are pretty much the same and brought into SA by the same company) and I absolutely love it. If you're a bigger fellow, Check out their website as for today only they have a 40% sale off everything on their site at www.sportful.co.za

Suspect it's a bit late to this party too ...

Great deals, but once there's extra 40% off already discounted prices, then there generally isn't much left.

Suspect it's a bit late to this party too ...

Great deals, but once there's extra 40% off already discounted prices, then there generally isn't much left.

There may just be as the 40% off sale is for today only.

But as I said, there were already only big sizes left.

• 5 months later...
On 4/29/2021 at 4:07 PM, M L said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Going to purchase a Mirage and try it out.

Longer term feedback on the Vye Mirage bib:
Chamois: The chamois started out feeling very comfortable. After around 3 months it doesn't feel as nice anymore. I suspect the chamois is the best part of the bib.
Spandex: Spandex feels and looks sub-par. The knobs that keep the bib above your knees came off after the 2nd wash. After around the 4th wash the strip above your knee lost its shape and started to curl up.

Definitely not worth the R1,200 odd price tag I payed in 2021. Quite expensive if you only get 6 months of use out of a bib for R1,200 - won't buy Vye again

Edited by M L

11 minutes ago, M L said:

Longer term feedback on the Vye Mirage bib:
Chamois: The chamois started out feeling very comfortable. After around 3 months it doesn't feel as nice anymore. I suspect the chamois is the best part of the bib.
Spandex: Spandex feels and looks sub-par. The knobs that keep the bib above your knees came off after the 2nd wash. After around the 4th wash the strip above your knee lost its shape and started to curl up.

Definitely not worth the R1,200 odd price tag I payed in 2021. Quite expensive if you only get 6 months of use out of a bib for R1,200 - won't buy Vye again

Thanks for that.

Can I ask mileage? 6 months doesn't tell a whole lot...

12 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Thanks for that.

My feedback on the mirage is slightly different.

Bought mine september 2020.

Gets used between 2 and 5 times a week. General care is straight into the shower with me after the ride, rinse off with some shower soap and then left in the bathroom to dry.

Yes the silicone strip came off the legs within a few months, however the legs have not started to curl on mine and stay in place rather nicely.

Chamois, whilst it has lost a little of its thickness is still very close to how it was after it softened up 3 - 4 uses in.

Spandex still seems good and I actually got the wife to check "see throughness" the other day and can report its still good.

This is all for road use

But I think we need more info from ML as to his usage as it may be a little more extreme than mine

48 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Thanks for that.

Difficult to give mileage. According to Strava, probably around 700km if I take into consideration that I ride with other bibs as well.

That is +-700km of MTB usage with sunscreen applied to my legs.

Edited by M L

6 minutes ago, M L said:

Difficult to give mileage. According to Strava, probably around 700km if I take into consideration that I ride with other bibs as well.

That is +-700km of MTB usage with sunscreen applied to my legs.

is the bib hand washed or machine washed ?

35 minutes ago, ouzo said:

My feedback on the mirage is slightly different.

Bought mine september 2020.

Gets used between 2 and 5 times a week. General care is straight into the shower with me after the ride, rinse off with some shower soap and then left in the bathroom to dry.

Yes the silicone strip came off the legs within a few months, however the legs have not started to curl on mine and stay in place rather nicely.

Chamois, whilst it has lost a little of its thickness is still very close to how it was after it softened up 3 - 4 uses in.

Spandex still seems good and I actually got the wife to check "see throughness" the other day and can report its still good.

This is all for road use

But I think we need more info from ML as to his usage as it may be a little more extreme than mine

Same experience with mine. 

The chamois thinned out a little but still very comfortable. No issues with spandex stretching or the lower legs rolling up 8 months later. 

Definitely prefer the fit to the Ciovita bibs I bought. 

*note: I have a small section on the straps where the stitching came loose. Easy fix. 

Just now, Steady Spin said:

Same experience with mine. 

The chamois thinned out a little but still very comfortable. No issues with spandex stretching or the lower legs rolling up 8 months later. 

Definitely prefer the fit to the Ciovita bibs I bought. 

*note: I have a small section on the straps where the stitching came loose. Easy fix. 

I've got a pair of Ciovita Corsa 1.0, these are my long ride (3 hours or more) and race bibs. I prefer them to the Vye. To me, the Ciovita on special is a better buy. At normal prices the Vye is better.

Also tried the Vye Velo bibs. Did not work at all for me.

Tried it on two rides and my sit bones were hurting like never before. Not sure why, but the chamois does not accommodate with me. Never in 4 years experienced it with Ciovita Corsa bibs.

I ordered another Ciovita Corsa 2. In my opinion, the quality is much better than Vye velo bibs.

+1 for me on Ciovita. Have also sized down to a medium to keep various bits from flapping and getting overly chafed. Apologies for the overshare, but if you've experienced it, you'll know that warning others is our duty.

Have 3 ciovita bibs. All xl all slightly different sizes. One of them significantly too small. 

The two I use regularly are excellent