Munga Grit

Baracuda

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Not on Facebook so tough to follow.

I'll keep an eye out for the longer ones. If this one started earlier it'd be awesome but I try to be home by 11 after rides as to get some time in with the fam.

Thanks guys. Not on Facebook so tough to follow.

I'll keep an eye out for the longer ones. If this one started earlier it'd be awesome but I try to be home by 11 after rides as to get some time in with the fam.

I inquired about the route, in terms of access...turns out its available to access all year round. I was under the impression that some portions might run through PVT property and that MUNGA organizers made arrangements with land owners when developing the route...Not the case. One can ride the route any time as its basically all public roads.

Well that was fun! And not at all the pace I'd like to ride if I ever take on the Munga Grit or full Munga! Average HR of 170bpm over the 112km [emoji23][emoji2962]

Can anyone confirm if I would need to use my gps to navigate the Munga Grit or would the turns be marked with signs? I know for the full Munga gps navigation is required.

Can anyone confirm if I would need to use my gps to navigate the Munga Grit or would the turns be marked with 

Some of that route passed through Magalies where I am incarcerated and I didn't see any route markers on my travels today....

Thanks. No I mean for the actual event in October. Trying to figure out how to power my garmin 520 edge. I know it will last with an external battery unless I have to navigate via gps.

This is in the race prep document

"Remember that the Munga Grit is a GPS only route. So, you need to be able to follow a course on a GPS to finish the race…simple! The best thing to do is to start this process early. The Mini Munga rides are a great opportunity to ‘practice’ using your Garmin or other device and to get used to it."

It is identical to the Munga race prep document. 

You would need to use your gps navigation as the route would not be marked. Stick a small powerbank on your bike to power the gps. I did this for The Munga

Thanks. No I mean for the actual event in October. Trying to figure out how to power my garmin 520 edge. I know it will last with an external battery unless I have to navigate via gps.

Thanks for the clarity. Much appreciated. How big was your powerbank and how often did you need to charge it? What gps did you use and how long did it last? I am in Durban so mini munga rides are not an option. I will need to plot a route here.

Thanks for the clarity. Much appreciated. How big was your powerbank and how often did you need to charge it? What gps did you use and how long did it last? I am in Durban so mini munga rides are not an option. I will need to plot a route here.

More clarity. I used a borrowed wahoo element bolt exclusively for navigation. My own edge 820 for capturing the ride, hr speed etc. Both were plugged in permanently to a power bank. During the night the back light was on the wahoo. Both devices were on for the entire 99 hr ride. They were never switched off. I carried 2 power banks, 20000mah and 10000mah. I went overkill as I didn't want to risk losing navigation or the ride.

The 20000mah still had some charge in it at the end and they were never charged on route.

The grit is a 50 hr max ride, and if u using 1 device only, it is likely that a 10000mah should work. Faster u ride the less power u need. Get a good one. The energizer ones are great

Thanks man. That's really helpful. There I was thinking I needed to drop R10k I don't have on a dynamo setup. I will look into a 10 000 mAh powerbank as suggested and do a couple of test rides.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing the organizers must be crazy busy as they can't seem to respond to my email requests.

Who's signed up and attempting this beast?

I am really keen but this is uncertain times in my world. I cant seem to let the entry fee out of my wallet 

I'm guessing the organizers must be crazy busy as they can't seem to respond to my email requests.

Who's signed up and attempting this beast?

Yup, in that same boat. My email to the organizers was for some admin reasons, but in a sense I knew that if they replied with lots of detail and sold it well I'd be able to part with the dosh. But now they aren't and I'm wishing they would as I need something to tip me over the edge.

I must say I take my hat off to those of you who have committed and are prepping for this. I was supposed to ride my first 36One this year, which has been postponed to November. I have decided not to do it, don’t see myself doing all that prep again with the uncertainty around it.