Best fast rolling 2.3 tires

T_Boss

I'm wondering if changing the front is going to make a big difference? I think the purgatory is on the aggressive side for an XC rear. I'd consider a different rear first.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks but no thanks. The only time I have ever had schwalbes was when they came as oem on a new bike. They normally only last a few weeks before they are totally destroyed, or I am gatvol of plugging holes

Never had a problem with these in plugging holes. These are the latest tech from Schwalbe. Evo is the range, basically it means that you're getting the better triple compound tyres rather than the plasticky dual compound ones.

ADDIX refers to four new rubber compounds made for specific types of use, whether that be Cross Country, All Mountain, Trail, Enduro, or Downhill.

Read more:

https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-Racing-Ray-29-x-225-ADDIX-SpeedGrip-EVO-SnakeSkin-TLE-Classic-Skin-2020

Never had a problem with these in plugging holes. These are the latest tech from Schwalbe. Evo is the range, basically it means that you're getting the better triple compound tyres rather than the plasticky dual compound ones.

ADDIX refers to four new rubber compounds made for specific types of use, whether that be Cross Country, All Mountain, Trail, Enduro, or Downhill.

Read more:https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-Racing-Ray-29-x-225-ADDIX-SpeedGrip-EVO-SnakeSkin-TLE-Classic-Skin-2020

the problem with schwalbe is how thin they are also used to love them until I really started riding. When I saw a unexpected rock garden I knew goodbye tyre, changed to Maxxis and could even run without the Foamo without any flats so far for the past year.

I'm going to be a wally here and say anyone recommending Vittoria or Schwalbe needs to try some other tires to see that some DO actually last longer than 10 rides before they fall apart.......  :ph34r:

IMHO it's a gander between an IKON or the Ardent Race. Super fast if we are looking at rolling resistance being a main factor.

Ran a set of each on the XCO/AR donkey for ages and they are fantastic.

Things do get tricky when you start throwing in 'bite' and the ability to get loose, but rolling resistance/weight/reliability AND price all point me to one of those options 

I’ve been really happy with Maxxis and can’t see myself buying something else soon. I run a Minion DHF on the front and a Aggressor at the rear. Both of them is 2.3’s but are far from fast rolling.

I just recently bought a Maxxis Aspen rear tyre on the grounds that its a fast rolling tyre but still has good grip . (t turns out the Aspen tire rolls fast! It is so lightweight. Previous to the Aspen, I had a Maxxis Crossmark II rear tire mounted up. I thought the Crossmark II was a fast rolling tire, and it is, but the Aspen takes the cake in that comparison. ) I previously only used Crossmark but am now excited to feel the difference . Read review https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/maxxis-aspen-tire-product-review .

I just recently bought a Maxxis Aspen rear tyre on the grounds that its a fast rolling tyre but still has good grip . (t turns out the Aspen tire rolls fast! It is so lightweight. Previous to the Aspen, I had a Maxxis Crossmark II rear tire mounted up. I thought the Crossmark II was a fast rolling tire, and it is, but the Aspen takes the cake in that comparison. ) I previously only used Crossmark but am now excited to feel the difference . Read review https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/maxxis-aspen-tire-product-review .

I also used Crossmarks for years, until my new bike came out with Ikons, so much better.

Onza canis. They are tough and give great mileage. Nice and grippy and rolling resistance is good. I had basically every brand on my bike and they we're the only ones that did not have sidewall cuts. Only reason I did not buy then again was price.

But now that I have fitted ikon again I can see that they are worth it.

Thanks but no thanks. The only time I have ever had schwalbes was when they came as oem on a new bike. They normally only last a few weeks before they are totally destroyed, or I am gatvol of plugging holes

That’s cos the OEM specced models are basic entry level tyres. Go buy some of the proper tyres

I'd put a Spez Slaughter on the back. The one with the small tightly spaced knobs in the middle. They roll really fast. And the back wheel has the most weight on it when cruising, so that is where the least rolling resistance should be. And then find something in the middle ground ITO rolling resistance for the front.

I'd put a Spez Slaughter on the back. The one with the small tightly spaced knobs in the middle. They roll really fast. And the back wheel has the most weight on it when cruising, so that is where the least rolling resistance should be. And then find something in the middle ground ITO rolling resistance for the front.

Not a bad idea. Then take the Purgatory that was on the back and use that on your front "XC" wheel.

Not a bad idea. Then take the Purgatory that was on the back and use that on your front "XC" wheel.

This sounds like a brilliant solution.

Anybody got a decent spare front wheel lying around? 25-30mm width, thru axle hub, 110mm boost?

That’s cos the OEM specced models are basic entry level tyres. Go buy some of the proper tyres

I don't want to start an argument. But I really am not interested in schwalbes. Once bitten twice shy. I have tried their heavier duty casings with very little success. I wouldn't even fit schwalbes to a commuter bike.