Tools at Tokai

Trance Dance

Just saw this tweet! Just because we can ride on the Oudekraal property, doesn't mean we should be compromising access elsewhere. (not that maintaining access is the only reason to treat people with respect)

post-23715-0-24251200-1595172488_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trance Dance

Witnessed this, this morning. Someone else said last weekend and earlier this morning, someone else was letting people in with out permits. Please note this is something I heard from someone else on the trail. And in hearing the discussion this morning at the gate, they ad up.

I think a decent sized sign needs to be out on the gate regarding permits as I dont think everyone is aware that you cannot buy a day pass. 

Witnessed this, this morning. Someone else said last weekend and earlier this morning, someone else was letting people in with out permits. Please note this is something I heard from someone else on the trail. And in hearing the discussion this morning at the gate, they ad up.

I think a decent sized sign needs to be out on the gate regarding permits as I dont think everyone is aware that you cannot buy a day pass.

I've been going every weekend since the opening, this was including 2 or 3 weekdays, today was my 1st time SANParks was there checking permits since the opening.

Tokai was radically full today

If you go there and get told 'sorry, you can't enter as you don't have a permit' does the fact that you were let in yesterday change anything in abusing/being a knob to another human doing their job?

No, it doesn't. I say people like that need to get a life ban from all parks land nation wide.

I have no time for that sort of behaviour. 

You say 'thank you ma'am, I will double check the rules and regs' (which are posted on the website)

If you go there and get told 'sorry, you can't enter as you don't have a permit' does the fact that you were let in yesterday change anything in abusing/being a knob to another human doing their job?

No, it doesn't. I say people like that need to get a life ban from all parks land nation wide.

I have no time for that sort of behaviour. 

You say 'thank you ma'am, I will double check the rules and regs' (which are posted on the website)

It was also in all the info put out by Tokaimtb about the reopening.

I went up into tokai yesterday morning, about mid morning.

a few peeps ahead of me turned round when they saw the rangers checking.

A couple in front of me continued and had a conversation with the ranger around the office being closed so they could not renew. I was escalating because he was telling them that the card expired and that they must get it renewed.

I interjected by reminding the ranger that cards were extended by 3 months during lock down and not everyone has been able to get to the office to get the admin done. He then checked the expiry date and agreed to let them in. I guess they had a genuine case of lack of knowledge.

The okes that turned around were clearly looking to take a chance.

The couple I gave 50% benefit of the doubt because you're following TokaiMTB on twitter, vleisbroek or the gram, you wouldn't know whats going on. 

I received an SMS or email form SANPARKS informing me of the extension so I'm sure most people with a valid card should know. I don't know if everyone received an SMS because some peeps don't fill in all the contact details on the application form

I went up into tokai yesterday morning, about mid morning.

a few peeps ahead of me turned round when they saw the rangers checking.

A couple in front of me continued and had a conversation with the ranger around the office being closed so they could not renew. I was escalating because he was telling them that the card expired and that they must get it renewed.

I interjected by reminding the ranger that cards were extended by 3 months during lock down and not everyone has been able to get to the office to get the admin done. He then checked the expiry date and agreed to let them in. I guess they had a genuine case of lack of knowledge.

The okes that turned around were clearly looking to take a chance.

The couple I gave 50% benefit of the doubt because you're following TokaiMTB on twitter, vleisbroek or the gram, you wouldn't know whats going on. 

I received an SMS or email form SANPARKS informing me of the extension so I'm sure most people with a valid card should know. I don't know if everyone received an SMS because some peeps don't fill in all the contact details on the application form

The rules are very clear that you need to go and get the card extended at one of their offices - they even sound like they've made this process very simple (I renew in December every year so haven't done it myself). The rangers shouldn't have any discretion on this - no valid permit, no entry. If someone gets difficult about it and can't understand such simple logic then I feel their paintball guns could be put to good use to get rid of you.

Just to be clear - this isn't directed at you but rather your comment about the people with expired permits.

Which offices are open for renewals/ extensions? (My card expires end of this month I think.)

All of this could be sorted out if SanParks sorted out their communication and a website.

One really does need a straight forward website, where you can purchase a permit using your credit card. Done and dusted.

But at the moment, we have to work on hearsay. At first Tokai is open for valid permits or those that have expired since lock down with no permit office open. Then you hear the permit office is open. Then when you get there it is closed. Now apparently it is open again.

SanParks needs to realize that they are civil servants that are required to run a national park and provide opportunity for citizens to visit it. They are not lords of the manor that tolerate visitors.

I really take my hat off to Tokai MTB for working with all of this.

Edited by Baracuda

Which offices are open for renewals/ extensions? (My card expires end of this month I think.)

The one in Tokai is open during the week.

All of this could be sorted out if SanParks sorted out their communication and a website.

One really does need a straight forward website, where you can purchase a permit using your credit card. Done and dusted.

But at the moment, we have to work on hearsay. At first Tokai is open for valid permits or those that have expired since lock down with no permit office open. Then you hear the permit office is open. Then when you get there it is closed. Now apparently it is open again.

SanParks needs to realize that they are civil servants that are required to run a national park and provide opportunity for citizens to visit it. They are not lords of the manor that tolerate visitors.

I really take my hat off to Tokai MTB for working with all of this.

There is a small (really small at the moment) chink of light regarding the possibility of purchasing day permits online. Some discussions have started about this subject, at the request of park management, and we can only hope they bear fruit.

as far as I know only the office at the Arboretum is issuing activity cards at present? 

Are day permits not being sold at Silvermine entrance?

as far as I know only the office at the Arboretum is issuing activity cards at present? 

Are day permits not being sold at Silvermine entrance?

I stand to be corrected on this but as far as I know there are no sales of day permits anywhere.

Went to Tokai on Saturday, couldnt enter as some people in our group didnt have the yearly permit thing and we didnt know we couldnt buy day passes. So we turned around and left, they lost about R300 from our group alone.

Went to jonkers yesterday, stopped at gate, ripped out our phones and BAM! snapscan and we have permits.... witchcraft I tell you....