Hypothetical dream build (mamil style)

Wayne pudding Mol

Ok so some stuff lost in translation between me and the Spanish.  Unno don't seem to like the local fox agents on their side and I understood that they would supply me with a fox factory 120 shock - but instead I'm getting the below.

It might as well be in Spanish because suspension talk is just noise to me but reading the below sounds too enduroey downhilly to me.  What next, knee pads? No no.   Should I just order the Fox one locally.  I set up my suspension once and the next time it gets touched is when someone else services it.  Put it in the middle like my stage and leave it forever

Please can someone translate the below.

However you should bear in mind that the DASH frame comes with an Öhlins STX 22 Air Custom Series, 200x57mm (130mm travel, external rebound damping adjustment, external high speed compression adjustment with climb mode setting external low speed compression adjustment and adjustable volume air spring).

Sin embargo, debe tener en cuenta que el cuadro DASH viene con una serie personalizada Öhlins STX 22 Air, 200x57 mm (recorrido de 130 mm, ajuste de amortiguación de rebote externo, ajuste de compresión externo de alta velocidad con ajuste de modo de subida, ajuste de compresión de baja velocidad externo y resorte de aire de volumen ajustable) .

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so some stuff lost in translation between me and the Spanish.  Unno don't seem to like the local fox agents on their side and I understood that they would supply me with a fox factory 120 shock - but instead I'm getting the below.

It might as well be in Spanish because suspension talk is just noise to me but reading the below sounds too enduroey downhilly to me.  What next, knee pads? No no.   Should I just order the Fox one locally.  I set up my suspension once and the next time it gets touched is when someone else services it.  Put it in the middle like my stage and leave it forever

However you should bear in mind that the DASH frame comes with an Öhlins STX 22 Air Custom Series, 200x57mm (130mm travel, external rebound damping adjustment, external high speed compression adjustment with climb mode setting external low speed compression adjustment and adjustable volume air spring).

basically sales talking you into why the ohlins shock is more betterer i guess. 130mm travel with knobs for rebound, hi/low speed compression as well as a climbing 'lockout'....and it takes air.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/stx-22-air-universal/

they basically just copy pasted.

post-64325-0-49181400-1597840771_thumb.png

post-64325-0-26384600-1597840972_thumb.png

Edited by morneS555

So after wildly swerving from brand to brand and very nearly buying a Cannondale frame because Lionel from Cannondale SA's service and help was so amazing, I have made a decision and paid up

I present the Unno Dash, big brother of the Horn I wanted. I'm a bigger guy with rubbish skills and honestly my hardtail can do what I wanted the Horn to do. I need to upskill so I can possibly enjoy singletrack and trails. (I will never enjoy rocks) The Geo on this lends itself to this and was the bike Unno recommended when I sent them my old Pyga Stage specs.

As a compromise to a more XC bike, they will supply with a fox factory 120 shock to match my Factory SC34 fork.

Frame should be here end September and I have quit nougat and chocolates and will moderate my beer and wine. I can't be slow and fat on this machine

Feel free to hate me now

EDIT...also changed from the Horn because I didn't want the same bike as all the other Unno guys here

Now i kinda hat you out of envy. . Might be in george in December . . .????

Sin embargo, debe tener en cuenta que el cuadro DASH viene con una serie personalizada Öhlins STX 22 Air, 200x57 mm (recorrido de 130 mm, ajuste de amortiguación de rebote externo, ajuste de compresión externo de alta velocidad con ajuste de modo de subida, ajuste de compresión de baja velocidad externo y resorte de aire de volumen ajustable) .

Would rather get the shock from them. They might have a tune on the shock already. Might be less of fus to have the shock set up locally?

any reason why you'd prefer the fox over Ohlins, that Ohlins is really good rear shock.

unless you've bought the rear shock already, assuming not, they can discount you and send it without the rear shock.

Wayne, every frame has a base shock tune tailored to that frame. The nerds at Unno and the nerds at Ohlins have a chat and then Ohlins send the right one to them. You then just add air and turn knobbies to taste and then leave it in the middle.

If you buy a fox locally then the nerds at fox in sa will need to chat to Unno to get the shock matched.

Bottom line : The Ohlins will be less hassle and more lekker than a locally sourced shock.

Yeah, get the ohlins from them as its most likely tuned to the suspension leverage. Eventually sell the fox fork and get an ohlins as well.

Yeah, get the ohlins from them as its most likely tuned to the suspension leverage. Eventually sell the fox fork and get an ohlins as well.

yes...my mild OCD will NOT survive the mismatch haha

any reason why you'd prefer the fox over Ohlins, that Ohlins is really good rear shock.

unless you've bought the rear shock already, assuming not, they can discount you and send it without the rear shock.

no I don't have a shock and I have no objection to Ohlins - but it looks and sounds complicated and 130 is too much which is why I need the info translated - can I set it to 120 max - can I just leave it in one position like I usually do.  It looks fiddly with too much stuff going on that I don't understand (or want to)

Plus, it doesn't match

Edited by Waynemol

Wayne, every frame has a base shock tune tailored to that frame. The nerds at Unno and the nerds at Ohlins have a chat and then Ohlins send the right one to them. You then just add air and turn knobbies to taste and then leave it in the middle.

If you buy a fox locally then the nerds at fox in sa will need to chat to Unno to get the shock matched.

Bottom line : The Ohlins will be less hassle and more lekker than a locally sourced shock.

This is my understanding too but the Ohlins is tuned to match an Ohlins 36 140

I am running a fox 34 120 and even the chaps there said a fox 120 front and rear will give the bike nice balance - they just don't use fox due to service issues there

So what to do?

it doesn't match, it's too heavy and looks downhilly/enduroee and it does too much

it will be in the classifieds as it comes with the bike

EDIT - clearly it bugs me so much I answered twice

Edited by Waynemol

it doesn't match, it's too heavy and looks downhilly/enduroee and it does too much

it will be in the classifieds as it comes with the bike

EDIT - clearly it bugs me so much I answered twice

The rear shock is not complicated althou it allows more settings.

The 57mm stroke of the ohlins is what give the travel. You weed then need to get a 200x51mm fox rear shock that still needs to be tuned to the suspension kinematics. It is do able but much more of a fuss. It might end up with the rear suspension not performing the way its designed to.

The rear shock is not complicated althou it allows more settings.

The 57mm stroke of the ohlins is what give the travel. You weed then need to get a 200x51mm fox rear shock that still needs to be tuned to the suspension kinematics. It is do able but much more of a fuss. It might end up with the rear suspension not performing the way its designed to.

way over my head - so you suggest just leaving this heavier non matching designed for the bike shock?  Seems very overkill for my kind of riding but I don't want to go this far and then ruin the bike

Can they supply you with a 200x51? some shocks just takes a spacer to reduce travel. Not sure on the ohlins