Bike comfort

Chadvdw67

Good morning hubbers, I recently got a road bike to do some additional riding, it is a Raliegh RC2000, enjoying it so far, but coming from a DS MTB, it would be nice if I could make it a little more comfortable, it had 23c tyres on, changed them to 28c gatorskins, that helped a LOT, also found the wheels had loose spokes and were not true, so got that sorted out, and that also helped smooth out the ride a bit, but now, what can I look at next, would a carbon seatpost and bars make it a bit more compliant? Or maybe gravel bars? What else can I look at for some more comfort on the bike?

Also just meself a road bike and it's freaking uncomfortable...

Got a fitting setup with Richard Baxter (richardbaxter.co.za) this week - I'm sure this will help big time.

He setup my MTB for me and it's awesome so maybe consider a proper fitting.

Good morning hubbers, I recently got a road bike to do some additional riding, it is a Raliegh RC2000, enjoying it so far, but coming from a DS MTB, it would be nice if I could make it a little more comfortable, it had 23c tyres on, changed them to 28c gatorskins, that helped a LOT, also found the wheels had loose spokes and were not true, so got that sorted out, and that also helped smooth out the ride a bit, but now, what can I look at next, would a carbon seatpost and bars make it a bit more compliant? Or maybe gravel bars? What else can I look at for some more comfort on the bike?

where do you feel the discomfort?

Maybe consider using the same saddle as on your mTB  on your road bike? Thats a good startin point. Then if more comofrt is needed opt for a model of the same brand and range but with more padding.

Double wrap the handleBAR tape.

Consider getting a good thick padded saddle . It does not look the part but it sure feels the part . 

carbon is usually the opposite of comfortable. first thing would be to check your stem length and position, too short or too long and also too low can really affect comfort. 

What areas are the most uncomfortable while riding ? What pressures do you run ? Those 28mm should give you a lot of confort ;)

Edited by Jbr

Also just meself a road bike and it's freaking uncomfortable...

Got a fitting setup with Richard Baxter (richardbaxter.co.za) this week - I'm sure this will help big time.

He setup my MTB for me and it's awesome so maybe consider a proper fitting.

Sorry for the off-topic but what does he charge? 

If you keep adding things to make it more comfortable you'll eventually land up with a MTB again  :wacko:. The road bike should ideally be your Ferrari (Road) vs SUV (MTB). Do you want speed or 'comfort' - it will always feel different.

As said above, tyre size/pressure and setup will help depending on where the discomfort is coming from. Carbon bars and seat-post will help with road buzz - but you need to adjust your expectations. You'll get more comfort from moving to a gravel bike with bigger tyres for less money v.s fancy road damping systems.

Sorry for the off-topic but what does he charge? 

In my case, he checked the shape of my feet and then put in inserts so that the arch of my foot is supported, adjusted saddle height & position, stem, position of grips, brake levers and all shifters. 

All done with lasers n stuff and it made a massive difference. 

He's a hell of nice guy, if you have any questions, give him a call

Edit: forgot to add that he also adjust my cleats

Edited by Muttley

Tyre pressure makes a big difference. Bars perhaps a small difference, but it may be so small you wont notice it. Seatpost will make less of a difference than bars - not worth changing for comfort.

After tyre pressure, your options are bib, seat and bar tape.

R850 - the R1500 is the fancy saddle pressure thing I believe

The problem is the sitting bones taking a proper hammering on rides so it would be fit + saddle pressure mapping that is needed. 

R1500 is a really good deal I think.