Road Upgrade.. Lateral? Or disc?

Focusspeed1

I still haven't bought into this disc brake thing on road bikes. But there is not much available in rim brake anymore and discs are soon going to be all you can get.

For that reason, discs are probably your best bet.

I have noticed that disc bikes are more expensive than the equivalent rim options. So that is also something to consider as you'll have a load of cash left if you go rim.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of disc on the road bike. Discs are essential on mtb but I'm not convinced about disc on road bikes.

They're heavier stiffer as in less compliant and disc brake rub is still an issue even on mtbs.

But the manufacturers are pushing the market in that direction.

I suspect rim brake options will be around for a while yet but there will be more choice of wheelsets in disc options going forward.

that's future proofing for now. But once we get there we know they will come up with a new standard that everyone absolutely has to have and will pay a premium for.

We will be back at rim brakes 10 years from now.

By then no one will care, as we will all be riding E Bikes on the mountains and roads. On the upside, the retro bike thread will be busy...

Edited by CAAD4

if you go disc don't go cheap (no cables). I just went from rim brakes to discs and I'm not impressed with the weight (TCR PRO 0 2020 vs Swift Uvox 2015) but pretty impressed with the general stifness and response when sprinting, but also I believe newer bikes are stiffer than the olders ones by construction (thru axle stiffness benefits aside)

Depending on where you live, the conditions you ride in most of the times and your budget, disc isn't necessarily the best solution, but if you do ride a lot in the mountains with twisty downhills I would definitely recommend discs over rim brakes, especially if you ride even when it's wet.

Shooo, im even more confused now....

So the occasional ride to franschoek etc and back... 70km, bottelary road kuilsriver lord Charles etc... Its just that i am DEFN due for an upgrade(if you wana call it that)... Or just a newer bike... So just wana make sure im doing the right thing.. Wont happen again for next 5 6 7 yrs...

Thanx Jaques yes titan does tick my boxes will defn have a look at caad aswell if its in the same class... And can only imagine the improved ride.. As mentioned im riding a 2013 alu bike...

I didn't go out on my 1 year old DuraAce Carbon disk brake bike (as raced on the ProTour, albeit that mine is under the UCI limit) this morning but in my 2003 Alu rim-brake bike.

4 Strava PBs, and a 4th overall on a segment where being in peloton won't help you. An old bike does not make you slower.

Buying a new bike won't make you faster unless it it is in a different league. I.e. moving from entry level to "Race ready" will do, but going from say a 4 year old mid-range rim brake bike to a new mid-range disk brake bike will be meh..

Whatever your budget, if you want to really change the riding experience, spend your money

on the highest end bike, even if it is a few years old. It will have rim brakes, be lighter, be more responsive, probably brake as well unless it is raining, and will overall have a better ride.

If you buy well, it will also hold its value better.

Edited by eddy

I didn't go out on my 1 year old DuraAce Carbon disk brake bike (as raced on the ProTour, albeit that mine is under the UCI limit) this morning but in my 2003 Alu rim-brake bike.

4 Strava PBs, and a 4th overall on a segment where being in peloton won't help you. An old bike does not make you slower.

Buying a new bike won't make you faster unless it it is in a different league. I.e. moving from entry level to "Race ready" will do, but going from say a 4 year old mid-range rim brake bike to a new mid-range disk brake bike will be meh..

Whatever your budget, if you want to really change the riding experience, spend your money

on the highest end bike, even if it is a few years old. It will have rim brakes, be lighter, be more responsive, probably brake as well unless it is raining, and will overall have a better ride.

If you buy well, it will also hold its value better.

I disagree, I went from a high end 5 yo bike to a high end new bike and I'm setting PR's everywhere I go since I'm on the new bike, despite getting much lower power data than I used to get on the old bike with the oval chainrings...

My take would be that bikes lose stiffness overtime (and pedal effectiveness) but I'm just guessing

Edited by Jbr

Agree with the comments above to go high end on a rim bike instead. The high end bikes are every bit as stiff and responsive as their dis brake competitors. And they are cheaper than disc at the moment. They are also easier to maintain if you enjoy tinkering with your bike yourself. Rim brake groupsets are also around 300g lighter than disc if you want to count weight and in general the frames are also 100-300g lighter than disc counterparts.

You dont sound like someone that will be out riding often in the wet. If you are though, than disc is the obvious choice. But for the occasional unplanned downpour, high end rim brakes will do the job.

Overall, R50k will buy you a lot more rim brake bike right now than disc. But the bike with the best frame and wheels you can get. Groupset can be easily upgraded later on.

This us a difficult decision at the moment. Usually people buy what the pros ride, but at the last criterium du dauphine only 2 teams were on disks. Spezialized and Canyon. Al the other brands do have disks available, but it looks like the pros prefer non disk bikes.

I thought the jump to disks on road bikes would have been much bigger and faster.

My opinion, buy what you like, you have to ride it.

OR spend the money on a steel Colnago Master.

It doesn't matter how fast you go (and it CAN go fast).... You will be riding a classic. It can go fast, slow and in between while still being better than any fancy plastic bling being ridden around you.

I have a steel disc frame bike as my every day roadie. It's not light and it isn't stiff, but it is suuuuper comfy and I can get it to move ok. I ride one road bike race a year and I usually do funride worlds on a BMX or something equally as fun, so it doesn't even get to race.

I would choose comfort and radness over stiff and current/plastic if I wasn't racing all the time (in your shoes).

But sometimes light and blingy does pique my interest.... Then I just go for a ride and realise that going faster isn't nearly as important as being comfortable

My take would be that bikes lose stiffness overtime (and pedal effectiveness) but I'm just guessing

I'm just guessing the marketing departments love you.

This is exactly what id thought the outcome would be... Some sort of devide... And even MORE CONFUSION as to what to buy... Atleast im getting advice from both sides. But ja, more confused than ever... However, leaning towards the idea of if i am gonna be on my bike for 2 3 4 hours.. Might as well make it as comfy as possible... Because getting home at 11.32, or 11.58 on a Saturday morning prob gonna make no difference.

Do i need to come to a DEAD STOP... When on the road when there is ABSOLUTELY nothing in front of you? Unlike when going downhill on a mtb

Or do I, who is already 11kg overweight wana save 300g?

Good G, im rather gonna take up running which i absolutely HATE.

THIS biking thing, ek weet nie meer so mooi nie...

Edited by Focusspeed1

Disclaimer ... almost 40 years since I have been on a road bike.

I have been following the road bike disc development with interest ... remembering those rainy days when I used to apply slight pressure on the brake levers to dry the brake surfaces ....

Disc brakes certainly helps in ONE area ... while adding weight to the bike. This contradiction in benefits is evident in the use of technology by the top teams.

Technically you could benefit IF you are planning on rainy rides ...

Frankly, it is close enough (forva weekend rider that can avoid rainy rides) that you might as well buy with your hart ...