2020 Custom Epic S-Works SRAM AXS (Is this the lightest Epic S-Works in SA?)

Swannie87

You guys in Klerksdorp are lucky to have a bike shop like that... looks awesome!!

What size frame is that... makes a huge difference for weight.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm a firm believer in "ride what you want" I find it strange how many people think droppers are a bad idea. On a recent group ride we were chatting about bikes and I said I was pretty happy with mine, I was just looking forward to investing in a dropper as I missed it from my old bike, gave me a lot of confidence and made the bike way more capable.

Man, I was just about crucified. "They're so expensive to maintain" "I don't need it, I just put my bum behind my saddle and I can ride anything, they're pointless"... Granted, we have a dearth of steep, fast, technical descents in GP for the most part so you can get away with a pretty lightweight rig. 

Only if you're talking about a road race bike. Every mountain bike deserves a dropper post. What is it with SA riders and the obsession with old school rigid seat posts. The world has moved on people :-) 

While I'm a firm believer in "ride what you want" I find it strange how many people think droppers are a bad idea. On a recent group ride we were chatting about bikes and I said I was pretty happy with mine, I was just looking forward to investing in a dropper as I missed it from my old bike, gave me a lot of confidence and made the bike way more capable.

Man, I was just about crucified. "They're so expensive to maintain" "I don't need it, I just put my bum behind my saddle and I can ride anything, they're pointless"... Granted, we have a dearth of steep, fast, technical descents in GP for the most part so you can get away with a pretty lightweight rig.

People that say droppers are expensive to maintain are probably the people don't maintain anything on their bikes

Haha yeah, people who have no clue or ride Reverbs...

My Lyne costs me R120 (rebuild kit) and 30mins of time once a year in maintenance.

People that say droppers are expensive to maintain are probably the people don't maintain anything on their bikes

They probably ride rim brakes gravel bikes because disc brakes and suspensions are expensive to maintain

I still haven't put my lyne dropper in my scalpel hi mod, the extra weight kinda breaks my heart + I'm faster almost on every downhill section on this bike with fixed post vs on my old XC and enduro bikes both with droppers... But I think the day I enter an EWS event I'll put it in and probably leave it in afterwards...

Edited by Jbr

You guys in Klerksdorp are lucky to have a bike shop like that... looks awesome!!

What size frame is that... makes a huge difference for weight.

yes we are lucky lol, its a Large frame

Oh, and on the bum behind the seatpost thing....

Modern geo is seeing much steeper seat angles as a result of the invention of droppers. A steeper seatpost means that the position of the saddle is more forward than older bikes making it harder to actually get the weight over and behind the saddle. My bike's STA is actually so steep that I drop my saddle before I stand and climb because the saddle is in the way. Modern mtbs are designed for droppers....

That being said, my short stumpy legs means that I have always struggled to get behind the saddle, and found it nearly impossible to get myself in front of the saddle again once I am in that position.

IMO, droppers are bar none the best invention in mtb. I would rather ride a rigid bike with a dropper than a full suspension bike with a rigid post.

If I worked at GMBN you would have just given me a great video idea!

The Blake did a video where he timed himself down a trail on a Pole 29er enduro bike without its dropper i.e seat up and his Nukeproof Scout HT with a dropper and seat down. He was so much faster on the HT it was a joke. 

I have a friend who flatly refuses to even try a dropper post. He can afford one and could sell it if he didnt like it but no, he's stuck. He gives all the usual excuses - weight - an extra 500g on a 100km ride, maintenance, and the "I get behind my seat" stuff. I pointed out that he hardly ever does 100km rides relatively speaking, its a great safety feature not to mention the best invention in MTB probably ever and he's never going to win any races whether his bike weights 10 or 10,5 kg, but still he remains glued to his ideas :-) AXS is the bees knees, but a dropper post, is a bridge too far...

I think peer group pressure is big and if you fall in with the wrong crowd - you know Epic riders, maybe they laugh at you and call you a wimp if you fit a dropper. Or do they have bike weigh off competitions before they ride and the loser has to buy skinny caps all round :-) 

I have a friend who flatly refuses to even try a dropper post. He can afford one and could sell it if he didnt like it but no, he's stuck. He gives all the usual excuses - weight - an extra 500g on a 100km ride, maintenance, and the "I get behind my seat" stuff. I pointed out that he hardly ever does 100km rides relatively speaking, its a great safety feature not to mention the best invention in MTB probably ever and he's never going to win any races whether his bike weights 10 or 10,5 kg, but still he remains glued to his ideas :-) AXS is the bees knees, but a dropper post, is a bridge too far...

............. you don't need friends like that in your life :P

and he's never going to win any races whether his bike weights 10 or 10,5 kg, but still he remains glued to his ideas :-) 

ouch  :lol:  :lol:

It is a bit blunt, but the same goes for me, you and most of the world. 

no it's definitely very very true haha.

But you've got to also consider that most of us are trying to get the best possible combo for something. At the moment I'm still hesitant to put my dropper on my brand new third-hand very-very XC bike ahead of marathon races where it's pretty much only going to be dead weight. But tomorrow if I enter some technical / flowy XC races or even EWS events, I'll definitely put it on, and probably leave it there. I mate of mine has the AXS one, that's the dream, you can just put it in and out depending on what you're going to do with the bike. No internal routing to worry about, but the price  :eek:

Eitherway I'm not gonna win any of those events. It's not about winning, it's about having the best tool for whatever you're into. But lots of people have the wrong idea about what they're doing / what they need / what they don't need, especially when it comes to weight/droppers, I do agree ;)

Edited by Jbr