MarcHD

I thought the talk of Chinese tools on the DT thread was obvious but as you were

As long as MarcHD has a very thick skin,  a good sense of humour and high emotional intelligence I reckon its all good ;-)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hairy, have a look on Cogent industries website, they have SKF ABEC5 bearings for similar prices to rapide iirc, worth a look

Thanks for the lead, and this is encouraging

post-5403-0-08693800-1611817421_thumb.jpg

As long as MarcHD has a very thick skin,  a good sense of humour and high emotional intelligence I reckon its all good ;-)

Personally I really appreciate his assistance he has given me and others here.

He also keeps things factual and let's you make the final call. I know the enduro bearings I previously looked at are not the same as per his DT one's, but I can just not motivate to spend that amount of cash on the bearings at this point in time vs a medium term solution with the enduro's and possibly a longer term solution with the SKF's.

What he has done though is make me a future DT customer again with his advice and support.

Personally I really appreciate his assistance he has given me and others here.

He also keeps things factual and let's you make the final call. I know the enduro bearings I previously looked at are not the same as per his DT one's, but I can just not motivate to spend that amount of cash on the bearings at this point in time vs a medium term solution with the enduro's and possibly a longer term solution with the SKF's.

What he has done though is make me a future DT customer again with his advice and support.

Exactly. 

Hairy deep groove bearings do accomodate axial loads but not as well as angular contact bearings. It's the difference between 12500km of service vs 5000 km of service.

I'm sure the skf will serve you well enough but there also angular contact options from NTN, SKF, FAG and other reputable brands. DT Swiss doesn't manufacture bearings but I think you will find that the angular contact bearing they specify is going to be a pricey item from all manufacturers for good reason.

The main advantage for you going with deep groove bearings is that you can't install them the wrong way around...

LOL

Hairy deep groove bearings do accomodate axial loads but not as well as angular contact bearings. It's the difference between 12500km of service vs 5000 km of service.

I'm sure the skf will serve you well enough but there also angular contact options from NTN, SKF, FAG and other reputable brands. DT Swiss doesn't manufacture bearings but I think you will find that the angular contact bearing they specify is going to be a pricey item from all manufacturers for good reason.

The main advantage for you going with deep groove bearings is that you can't install them the wrong way around...

LOL

damned .. imagine if the bearings went in the wrong way and you wheel then only spun backwards :P

The drum ring is alloy and the tool is steel. Steel is stronger than alloy and that's all what matters.

My pals wont let me touch their bikes other than the brakes because the rest of their bikes will be blessed with a chisel and a hammer.

Steel is an alloy...i believe you mean aluminium alloy.

Soz, just got meself a DT Swiss hub, so now i should be part of this convo as well :P

They would be expected to retail for about R290 incl. 

These are Abec-5 level, angular contact, double sealed bearings

:eek: I just had a WTF! moment

:eek: I just had a WTF! moment

Like back in the 90's when we were skateboarding a LOT and Abec 9 was the best, if you had Abec 3 you were trash  :lol:

Looking for 12mm TA end caps for Roval CL 40 Disc Wheels

Hi there Ace Cycles,

Happy to assist here. I have sent you a DM with necessary info 

Steel is an alloy...i believe you mean aluminium alloy.

Soz, just got meself a DT Swiss hub, so now i should be part of this convo as well :P

Welcome to the DT Swiss family!

Like back in the 90's when we were skateboarding a LOT and Abec 9 was the best, if you had Abec 3 you were trash  :lol:

Ye I remember my son telling me he needed new bearings for his skateboard - shop wanted 30 ronds each because they were "Black Fly" bearings - went to the bearing shop and got SKF for 2.30 ronds - He refused to use the skateboard after that  :D

Ye I remember my son telling me he needed new bearings for his skateboard - shop wanted 30 ronds each because they were "Black Fly" bearings - went to the bearing shop and got SKF for 2.30 ronds - He refused to use the skateboard after that  :D

There are cyclists like that too