Scam: Offshore oil rig worker

dhameer

Hi guys

I am just posting on this forum relating to a scam that I picked up on. There are actually a couple of articles already written about this but I think its important to raise more awareness as it's still happening

Anyway I recently posted my bike for sale on bike hub and the following happened.

A guy by the name of Philip Wrightson contacted me via whatsapp as the only means of communication was my cell no. On the advert.

So he messages me to say that I can email him at pwrightson20@gmail.com. He also says that the bike is a surprise for his cousin and he will buy it if everything is in order. He lastly says that an agent will collect the bike but a payment must be made to shoprite. The funds will be transferred using Neteller.

So I googled about this and found many articles about this scam.

It's still happening so be careful!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I am just posting on this forum relating to a scam that I picked up on. There are actually a couple of articles already written about this but I think its important to raise more awareness as it's still happening

Anyway I recently posted my bike for sale on bike hub and the following happened.

A guy by the name of Philip Wrightson contacted me via whatsapp as the only means of communication was my cell no. On the advert.

So he messages me to say that I can email him at pwrightson20@gmail.com. He also says that the bike is a surprise for his cousin and he will buy it if everything is in order. He lastly says that an agent will collect the bike but a payment must be made to shoprite. The funds will be transferred using Neteller.

Hi dhameer,

Thanks for reporting this. 

If it occured on Bike Hub, please could you please share some additional info with us via help@bikehub.co.za

- Date and time this person first made contact

- Phone number they used

- Bike Hub ad they responded to

This will help us in detecting and blocking the user.

Many thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt, Will send an email with full detail to the email address you provided.

Hi dhameer,

Could you please share some additional info with me, either via PM or help@bikehub.co.za

- Phone number they used

Many thanks,
Matt

Hi guys

The secret is not to hand over until the money is in your account. I lost R15,000 on audio equipment once. If you think it is bad on bikes it is much worse on cars.

got the same message... form pwrightson20@gmail.com

Was this in response to an Ad on Bike Hub? If so please share the specifics of the ad and when this person contacted you. That will help us to trace and block them.

Contacted me on WhatsApp number +27 72 368 9904 asked me to mail him. Had conversation with exact same Oil rig story till I sniffed a rat. Asked me to open a Neteller account. I then googled...

Was this in response to an Ad on Bike Hub? If so please share the specifics of the ad and when this person contacted you. That will help us to trace and block them.

I have both an Bikehub and Gumtree add. The WhatsApp makes it difficult to know which add. I rarely use Gumtree due to this type of thing.

I have both an Bikehub and Gumtree add. The WhatsApp makes it difficult to know which add. I rarely use Gumtree due to this type of thing.

Looks like it was via Gumtree as your phone number isn't listed on your Bike Hub ads. We'll keep a lookout for this person regardless - thanks for the heads up. 

Yeah he's been scamming for a while on Gumtree, always using the same story. He contacted me under Martin Jacobson.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, this scammer is operating since last yr wrt my ads on Gumtree as well ! He often changes email addresses. Check this !

I wonder how long it will be until these types of services that support fraud are looked at.

The previous one was Skrill, it seems they use them because they are not traceable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

This is still going on, put my bike up for sale a few days ago and this guy contacted me with the exact same story about working on the rigs and wanting to surprise his cousin.

He deposited the money use Skrill but then reverses the transactions and gets you to pay for pick up fees.

Contacted me on this email address

wphilip2002@yahoo.com

I didn’t pay anything but just be aware of this story, lucky I decided to search his name and lots of articles came up.

Hi dhameer,

Could you please share some additional info with me, either via PM or help@bikehub.co.za

- Phone number they used

Many thanks,

Matt

Goodmorning

The guy contacted as this weekend with his email address and asked as to send him a email about the bike: See here:

Thanks for your email. I am really interested in buying this as a surprise for my cousin, only if you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pick up once I have made the payment.

Definetely still trying to trick people.