Stripping dried Stans (?) from near-new 2Bliss Spez ground control tyre

Zebra

Looking for help in stripping dried Stans or some such (?) from near-new 2Bliss Spez ground control tyre....

Tyre in as-new condition, but with hardened rubbery sealant on inside Of the tyre.....

Want to be careful using solvents, obviously; what can I try,any tips?!

Thanks

Chris

Mixture of two things.

Patience and Elbow Grease.

There's no chemistry or tricks and tips that'll help. Sometimes a green pot scourer can help, but not often. Peeling off the bits like a bad sunburn is about as good as it gets and it takes a *** long time.

If it's just a light coating, leave it be. If it's heavy, you might need to scrape it off with something like a dulled knife to save some weight... But it's still not likely worth the time...

As said elbow grease is the only thing that has worked for me

I think tho, if you have a pressure washer that can spray piss hard maybe if you can start to get the stream under the sealent it might come off

Thanks, I have a Karcher pressure washer, will try...

Please keep suggestions coming!

Green scour pad did nothing, test DABBED paraffin, not much help..then rinsed...

Test dabbed clean green, a little softening, but not much...Then rinsed..

Tried Muc Off, not much action..then rinsed...

Thanks

Chris

Agree with the others.  I went trough this a few weeks ago, elbo-grease and a **** load of patience is the only way.

It help to open it up leave in the sun to dry (but not too much) and then start rubbing and rubbing and rubbing ...    :D

Edited by Theog

Question is why?

Mainly because it will bother me that there is a lot of old gunk in my tyre.  If weight is the consideration, just leave it in the sun to dry completely, remaining is a very light layer of "latex".

I pull off the lumpy and thick bits and leave the rest - It doesn't add any significant weight

Yeah it really doesn't. I once peeled off a 2L ice cream tubs worth of sealant, as a large amount had dried in a tyre off a used bike I bought. It didn't weight all that much, and was certainly not worth the effort.

Question is why?

Well, new tires are pricey, I HAVE the time, I get a kick out of saving something rather than binning it - fact is - nothing to do with saving money, actually, more the satisfaction oftackling a difficult job, but getting a result!

Cheers, Chris

Turn in inside out and dunk it in sink, bath or bucket. Scrub/scrape off the worst bits. But if it is a thin layer of latex "painted" on the inside of the tyre leave it. If you scrape that off, the Ground Control 2Bliss will "weep" through the side walls until the layer reforms again.

Question is why?

Needs to be done every now and then. Sealant congeals and forms solid sealant balls. It makes the wheel unbalanced and adds weight (I weighed my martians last time I removed - between 150 and 200 grams per wheel). That was when I neglected it for a long time though.

Thanks, I have a Karcher pressure washer, will try...

Green scour pad did nothing, test DABBED paraffin, not much help..then rinsed...

Test dabbed clean green, a little softening, but not much...Then rinsed..

Tried Muc Off, not much action..then rinsed...

Thanks

Chris

Hey "Zebra" - where in SA are you based ?

I hear your pain - this stuff bugs me also - last time I used fingernails and elbow grease but it did peel off OK.

I use a product called ecologic (cleaner / degreaser / disinfectant) to clean my drivetrain and bike (in different concentrations) - it's genuinely the best stuff and my wife has now hijacked it for the house, kitchen, bathrooms, etc.

I'd be very interested to see if it will have any effect (applied undiluted). If you're JHB based I'd be happy to give you some to try.

If you want more info - I get it from www.stealthhealth.co.za

PS: clean green goes nowhere near my bike as its corrosive...

Edited by JBK

just thinking about this now, what worked for me last time was to let it dry, then with a dry but rough grain cloth scrub it off. It came off rather easy when dry. Everything I tried whilst it was still wet (either with water or detergent) did nothing.

Heck I had blades and scrapers and steel wool and nothing would get rid of it, but once it dried out and I rubbed it with a rough cloth it came off.