2021 Stumpjumper Rant

T_Boss

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure did.

It's a cross country bike evolved to be a bit better at downhills so it's a good description even if some guy at Pinkbike decided he doesn't like the word.

did you say.....#doWncountry..... :eek:

I sure did.

It's a cross country bike evolved to be a bit better at downhills so it's a good description even if some guy at Pinkbike decided he doesn't like the word.

nah, it was the *&^% at PinkBike that coined the word.

They're just marathon bikes or as Spazo calls them "ST" for short travel trail

gord the last thing we need is journos coining more bike genres

https://www.transitionbikes.co.za/collections/spur

I would pick this any day over the new Stumpy

This is exactly why Spaz have chosen to only vaguely cater for the #endurobro's

The core of the riders would always choose a non mainstream frame and build it up OR buy the same thing but 2nd hand and the same 11 guys are bringing in the frames/bikes and just distributing them to their mates who can't/won't fork out for a new trail bike.

So if you disect the actual size of the trail bike market and how many brands there are along with how many people can afford to buy a new bike every year or even every 2 years, it is no wonder that so many trail bike brands/importers fail to get any sort of foothold here.

We saw Pia fail with Transition and Banshee, YT failed, Yeti has changed hands and fails to gain a footing, Kona are still relatively unseen, Marin bikes has a dealer but you don't see the bikes (and they are awesome), the same 12 Evil frames have been sold and resold on bikehub for the last 3 years....... The list goes on.

While they are all awesome bikes and the importers all had grand ideas, their main shortfall was the fact that they expected everyone else to be as amped as they are about trails, trail bikes and the actual size of the market. 

It isn't sustainable.

This is exactly why Spaz have chosen to only vaguely cater for the #endurobro's

The core of the riders would always choose a non mainstream frame and build it up OR buy the same thing but 2nd hand and the same 11 guys are bringing in the frames/bikes and just distributing them to their mates who can't/won't fork out for a new trail bike.

So if you disect the actual size of the trail bike market and how many brands there are along with how many people can afford to buy a new bike every year or even every 2 years, it is no wonder that so many trail bike brands/importers fail to get any sort of foothold here.

We saw Pia fail with Transition and Banshee, YT failed, Yeti has changed hands and fails to gain a footing, Kona are still relatively unseen, Marin bikes has a dealer but you don't see the bikes (and they are awesome), the same 12 Evil frames have been sold and resold on bikehub for the last 3 years....... The list goes on.

While they are all awesome bikes and the importers all had grand ideas, their main shortfall was the fact that they expected everyone else to be as amped as they are about trails, trail bikes and the actual size of the market.

It isn't sustainable.

Had a similar conversation about DH bikes in 2012.

nah, it was the *&^% at PinkBike that coined the word.

They're just marathon bikes or as Spazo calls them "ST" for short travel trail

gord the last thing we need is journos coining more bike genres

Basically the spaz evo is down country if u call it that same as scalpel se

It’s another name for a XC bike with wider bars, wider tyres, dropper post and 20mm more travel.

And if was going to get a DC bike ????. I really really really love the YT Izzo and the Tranny Spur is a close second

Edited by Stevief

Please don’t popularize “down country”

The last thing we need is another kind of bike and style of riding our local shops won’t have a clue on how to market.

Trail bikes aren’t popular because our local media and shops do not promote it as a segment in the market.

It is XC or road. Done.

Trail bikes aren’t popular because our local media and shops do not promote it as a segment in the market.

I think it has more to do with an ageing less adventurous riding population and who has the money. The kids definitely seem to be on it though! There is change coming.

Blame the shops if you want but there are a number of brands that have brought in trail bikes and made an effort only to get burnt. Why would they keep doing that when they can rather focus on bikes that sell?

And the local media certainly doesn't have a monopoly on the narrative in the internet age.

The simple truth is that the majority of local riders are just not interested.

Outside of the big trails centres, which are few and far between, there's little point in having a trail bike.

Even where there are good trails, with moderate skills on a downcountry bike (I do enjoy that word ;)) 90% or more of what is on offer in South Africa is rideable.

Don't get me wrong. A trail bike is a magical machine but it's pointless trying to force down the throat of people who just aren't and never will be interested.

Disclaimer: I just bought a downcountry bike  :whistling:

I think it has more to do with an ageing less adventurous riding population and who has the money. The kids definitely seem to be on it though! There is change coming.

Blame the shops if you want but there are a number of brands that have brought in trail bikes and made an effort only to get burnt. Why would they keep doing that when they can rather focus on bikes that sell?

And the local media certainly doesn't have a monopoly on the narrative in the internet age.

Outside of the big trails centres, which are few and far between, there's little point in having a trail bike.

Even where there are good trails, with moderate skills on a downcountry bike (I do enjoy that word ;)) 90% or more of what is on offer in South Africa is rideable.

Don't get me wrong. A trail bike is a magical machine but it's pointless trying to force down the throat of people who just aren't and never will be interested.

Congrats on your new XC/DH bike .... pics or it never happened by the way

nnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not DC..........

Light Trail

N+0

just please not <spits> sakland fiets

Upgraded Camber to Stumpy ST end of July - both photo's taken days apart and the difference was massive. I can't brag with having upskilled - the bike is just so confidence inspiring and bloody fast. The whole point for me as a mediocre mtb'r is to have fun and the stumpy ST is the embodiment of just that. And I truly believe more people will agree after one ride experience - be it fast flowing or janky trails.

So for me, the ST filled that gap between XC and hardcore trailbike perfectly and I will lament the day If something happens to my bike and I cannot replace with a compcarbon ST... And no the entry level Alu's specs are a no-no and the Evo makes my wallet gag and it's too burly for me.

Will be interesting if I have an insurance claim one day for a full replacement... fingers crossed that day wont come anytime soon.

All this said, I understand that trail bikes are a minority in SA and it makes business sense to let it go Elsa. Just glad I now have one beaut sitting in my garage and will give her all the love and trails she deserves

post-82878-0-01797300-1603444975_thumb.jpg

Upgraded from a pure trail bike (Trance 27.5") to a Stumpy ST in April. I can honestly say that I am faster on the gnarly trails on the Stumpy that I was on the Trance. Also the overall riding experience is much more pleasurable.

I also have an Anthem which I ride occasionally. The only time I would choose the Anthem over the Stumpy is if I was riding on tar.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the local price of the new Stumpy S-Works fame has been revised to R52k from R70k. Wonder if the bitching in this thread had anything to do with that  :ph34r:

I see the local price of the new Stumpy S-Works fame has been revised to R52k from R70k. Wonder if the bitching in this thread had anything to do with that  :ph34r:

will get them alot more buyers now