How steep is this road?

Zebra

Baviaanskloof Road, Hout Bay; starting at the MANOR Hotel (the old Hout Bay Hotel) and ascending to finish in a cul-de-sac up on the slopes of the mountain?

Unsure how to measure it's steepness, but keen to know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baviaanskloof+road%2C+Hout+Bay&rlz=1C1GGRV_enZA752ZA752&oq=baviaanskloof+road%2C+Hout+Bay&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i457j0i22i30.6703j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On one of the 'bumps', it is easy to have the rear wheel slip/spin, have been cycling it for years, since my house is at the very top; keen to know it's GRADIENT? Anyone know?

Cheers!

Chris

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baviaanskloof Road, Hout Bay; starting at the MANOR Hotel (the old Hout Bay Hotel) and ascending to finish in a cul-de-sac up on the slopes of the mountain?

Unsure how to measure it's steepness, but keen to know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baviaanskloof+road%2C+Hout+Bay&rlz=1C1GGRV_enZA752ZA752&oq=baviaanskloof+road%2C+Hout+Bay&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i457j0i22i30.6703j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On one of the 'bumps', it is easy to have the rear wheel slip/spin, have been cycling it for years, since my house is at the very top; keen to know it's GRADIENT? Anyone know?

Cheers!

Chris

distance / elevation gain will give you gradient.

Easiest it to plot it in Strava or Komoot and let them work it out for you

Blue Valley Avenue is my favourite Hout Bay hill.  That's a serious piece of road and a serious granny gear is needed  :ph34r:  

My other half and I are in the process of selling our 2 places and consolidating in HB. The places we are keen on will all have a MOERSE hill climb to finish any ride or run.

I know its not cycling related, but a few weeks ago I took a walk up the steepest road in the world (as verified by Guiness book of records) Here is the photo.

post-18409-0-83786000-1603223436_thumb.jpg

I have also had the pleasure Pain of attempting to ride my bike up Yellowood pass in Legends safari resort. A field of 400 riders. 3 rode to the top.

EDIT - Just realised I have a bald spot.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

I know its not cycling related, but a few weeks ago I took a walk up the steepest road in the world (as verified by Guiness book of records) Here is the photo.

120359142_10157068701001266_5614314619494282991_o.jpg

I have also had the pleasure Pain of attempting to ride my bike up Yellowood pass in Legends safari resort. A field of 400 riders. 3 rode to the top.

That looks STEEP ....

For interest sake, what os the rise and distance figures ?

That looks STEEP ....

For interest sake, what os the rise and distance figures ?

From the wiki page

A short straight street a little under 350 metres (1,150 ft) long, Baldwin Street runs east from the valley of the Lindsay Creek up the side of Signal Hill towards Opoho, rising from 30 m (98 ft) above sea level at its junction with North Road to 100 m (330 ft) above sea level at the top,[2] an average slope of slightly more than 1:5. Its lower reaches are only moderately steep, and the surface is asphalt, but the upper reaches of this cul-de-sac are far steeper and surfaced in concrete (200 m or 660 ft long) for ease of maintenance (bitumen—in either chip seal or asphalt—would flow down the slope on a warm day) and for safety in Dunedin's frosty winters.

The 161.2-metre-long (529 ft) top section climbs 47.2 metres (155 ft) vertically, an average gradient of 1:3.41.[3] At its maximum, about 70 metres (230 ft) from the top,[3] the slope of Baldwin Street is about 1:2.86 (19° or 35%). That is, for every 2.86 metres (9.4 ft) travelled horizontally, the elevation changes by 1 metre (3.3 ft).

Interestingly enough, once a year Kiwis get together and race little round chocolates down the hill (like maltesers) and there is this huge competition to get yours to the bottom. Kiwis are weird like that.

Thanks all...exactly the info I was looking for.

Believe it or not, 30 years back, I lived on Blue Valley Road, or rather, Ash Lane, which was then the last road off of Blue Valley...was one on the 1st houses on that bare mountain, long before the built Bokkemanskloof Estate (ageing myself, here...)

That was when you could still turn off Main Road DIRECTLY into Blue Valley, that FIRST bump was steep, and at least one truck failed to stop in time, ploughing across Main Road...!

We watched them build the extremely steep BRICK (upper) section, which until then was just bush. I rode it back then, difficult but not impossible, the Brick was less slippy than tar.

That road was a major novelty for cars, who likely never been up anything that steep. Building trucks could not get up it, they had to ferry building materials in bakkies and a Unimog-type vehicle, IIRC...

OK, keen to know it’s steepness, too!