MTB Flat Pedal recommendation (Crankbrothers?)

Bjorn881

Agree on Shitmano. Their range is overpriced and don’t perform as well as the plethora of other brands out there.

Raceface Chester is another option to look at.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the Giants but their pins are smooth! Consensus seems to be that threaded grub screws offer more grip, especially if you get longer grub screws/pins (that are obviously compatable with ones shoes)!

Edited by Bjorn881

I prefer smooth pins, you can move your feet around easier. If they strike you it is not as fatal either. The screws are easier to set, adjust, remove. Try getting your small allan key in the threaded pins when there is dirt inside, bit of a mission. 

I looked at the Giants but their pins are smooth! Consensus seems to be that threaded grub screws offer more grip, especially if you get longer grub screws/pins (that are obviously compatable with ones shoes)!

Giant has 2 options, one with molded pins and one with screw in pins, of you get the one with screw in pins you can just swap the pins out with grub screws, actually makes the pedals much more grippy like that

Agree on Shitmano. Their range is overpriced and don’t perform as well as the plethora of other brands out there.

Raceface Chester is another option to look at.

Are there any places that stock Raceface Chesters in SA though? Was looking for that before i eventually settled on the Stamp 1's.

Are there any places that stock Raceface Chesters in SA though? Was looking for that before i eventually settled on the Stamp 1's.

Get Stoked are the importers, here in CT.

Get Stoked are the importers, here in CT.

Unfortunately their website has been indicating "out of stock" for a for a while now.

I'm also very happy with the One-Up composite pedals from TrailTech. The composite material seems very damage resistant and the pedals are holding up well. They get good reviews if you look around on the web as well.

Recently got me some DMR v12’s from evo bikes ~ R1k. No complaints, other than realising that even after a year of clipless riding how bad my body english has become haha.

post-64325-0-09821100-1603284737_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

DMR V8's are around your budget, strong and they grip well. Using them on my hardtail with no complaints. 

The Shimano flats are a bit, and by that I mean a LOT, naff in comparison to anything else in the similar price range.

As with all things .... compare in a given price range.

The entry level Giants are, well ... "entry level".  And yet it has served me well on the trails.  Maritz still has a set on his bike.

I then tried the Shimanos (the ones Evobike now has on special - https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-pd-gr500-flat-pedals/?mc_cid=e7c0dce6c4&mc_eid=5c17c32e8a )

For the money they certainly are better than the entry level Giants.

For the next bike I tried the Spez pedals in the same price range ... no better, nor any worse, than the Shimano pedals.

My current bike has the better Giant pedals.  LOVE the larger foot print !!  Is it really worth more than double the price ??? uhm, no ....  I got it at a massive discount when I bought the bike, certainly wont pay full price for it.  YES, it is very nice !!  Just cant justify the extra costs for the type of riding I do. 

As with all things .... compare in a given price range.

The entry level Giants are, well ... "entry level".  And yet it has served me well on the trails.  Maritz still has a set on his bike.

I then tried the Shimanos (the ones Evobike now has on special - https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-pd-gr500-flat-pedals/?mc_cid=e7c0dce6c4&mc_eid=5c17c32e8a )

For the money they certainly are better than the entry level Giants.

For the next bike I tried the Spez pedals in the same price range ... no better, nor any worse, than the Shimano pedals.

My current bike has the better Giant pedals.  LOVE the larger foot print !!  Is it really worth more than double the price ??? uhm, no ....  I got it at a massive discount when I bought the bike, certainly wont pay full price for it.  YES, it is very nice !!  Just cant justify the extra costs for the type of riding I do. 

Hence the last 5 words in my post ;)

There are loads of options in the R1000 +- R300 range :)

Those Shimano's are basically the old Saints. I had them, thought they were great, tried new pedals...The Saints SUUUUUCKED hard, even compared to the cheap Giants IMO.

Edited by Thermophage