CyclingMikey - nuisance or doing some good

Stretch

Interesting approach.

Our society needs a wake-up call on cellphone usage.

I do think he needs to pick bigger battles than to target a lady who looked at an instagram post while standing completely still in a very long queue to a traffic light. 

Still wrong, yes. And we need to re-learn to be fine without entertainment in standstill traffic.

But surely his energy is better spent on actions that endanger the lives of others.

How is driving the wrong way down a road not endangering people?

He is great. 

He keeps a log of all the incidents and follows up with prosecutions as well.

He also spots his repeat offenders and targets them and gets their license banned. 

I reckon if COCT cottoned on to this revenue stream they would be printing money from my morning ride in alone!

Nobody is forcing these people to break the law, its a choice.

My wife has this one colleague from the GP office that gets his phone taken by metro cops when he’s down here...seemingly without fail haha.

They are quite prevalent in the morning traffic on the N1 etc in unmarked cars on certain days ive noticed over the years, pulling Karens (and their equivalent male counterparts) over for what i can only assume is phone usage while driving. And its the best when its a R500k + Car that you KNOW has a handsfree system.

What gets me every single time though is how these people think they can hide it....you can spot someone using a phone through their own rear view or side mirror from as far back as how good your vision is lol. Thats if they manage to keep the fricken car between the white lines... Numpties

A press release that has gone out today

Volvo Cars safety experts say: use technology to support drivers and reduce distraction

The rise of smartphones and touchscreens inside cars has sparked a growing debate around the dangers of distraction behind the wheel. But Volvo Cars safety experts say that distraction is a fact of life, and that technology should be used to support people in their daily commute.

The company’s own safety research and behavioural science work suggests that when used correctly, modern technology inside the car can actively reduce distraction, boost road safety and help people to be better and more focused drivers.

“It is easy to think that phones and screens are the only scourge of the modern driver, but life as a whole is distracting,” said Malin Ekholm, Head of the Volvo Cars Safety Centre. “We know people do not get distracted on purpose, but it happens. You could be late for daycare and somewhat stressed, or you get behind the wheel after a bad day at work – all this affects you as a driver.”

Malin Ekholm made these and other remarks during a special Volvo-organised webcast around safety this week. During this first Volvo Studio Talk, which can be viewed on demand HERE, she and other safety advocates discussed distraction and several other pressing road safety issues.

Some would say that from a distraction point of view, a car from the 1940s is safer than today’s cars – after all, it does not contain a screen, phone connectivity or even a radio. But that is not how today’s drivers and society operate.

“The reality is that people want to engage with friends, family, work and entertainment, and everyone responds differently to distraction,” said Malin Ekholm. “So we want to meet our customers where they are, not where we want them to be. That is why our focus is on using technology in the right way, so we can use it to help you stay safe behind the wheel.”

Volvo Cars actively uses technology to combat the dangers of distraction and build some of the safest cars on the road. For example, its active safety systems with autobrake and steer assist are designed to be on guard to help drivers if they lose concentration or are distracted for a split-second.

Inside the cabin of the new XC40 Recharge Pure Electric, an advanced voice control on Volvo Cars’ new Android-powered infotainment system allows drivers to control the temperature, set a destination, play their favourite music and podcasts or call their mum on her birthday – all while keeping their hands on the wheel.

“Being able to control key features on your Volvo by voice allows you to keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road,” said Malin Ekholm. “Active safety systems such as City Safety, Run-off Road Mitigation and Oncoming Lane Mitigation with Steer Assist can act as an extra pair of eyes watching over you.”

Volvo Cars believes that distraction should also be addressed via in-car cameras and other sensors that monitor the driver. With such technologies, if a clearly distracted (or intoxicated) driver does not respond to warning signals and risks a serious, potentially lethal accident, the car could intervene.

That intervention could involve limiting the car’s speed, alerting the Volvo on Call assistance service and, as a last resort, actively slowing down and safely parking the car. Volvo Cars plans to start introducing these cameras on the next generation of Volvo’s scalable SPA2 vehicle platform.

Greg Maruszewski, Managing Director of Volvo Car South Africa, says distraction is also a problem in South Africa. “It is one of many road safety challenges that our country faces. Yet another is pedestrian fatalities. In South Africa, pedestrian crashes are the leading cause of death for children under the age of 15. Of course, these fatalities can also be the result of distraction. The costs associated with road safety do not only pertain to human life; it has been estimated that crashes cost the South African road network an estimated R142,95 billion every year. 1. Accordingly, Volvo’s technological innovations are undoubtedly good news for South Africa, its people and its economy,” he concludes.

Ends

References:

1. https://www.saferspaces.org.za/understand/entry/road-safety-in-the-south-african-context

How is driving the wrong way down a road not endangering people?

That one is very necessary, he should do those. They can and do endanger lives.

I was maybe not clear enough on the specific incident I find not life endangering. I'll rephrase.

I went to his channel, viewed his recently posted videos. The latest one is of a long queue of vehicles, not moving for a long time. He sees a lady watching her phone. He records her looking at an Instagram post. She gets demerit points on her license following the incident.

I am all-for giving her a warning. If she is a repeat offender and he had warned her before, then she deserves those points.

My view is that she did not endanger lives whilst looking at her phone, while her vehicle was stationary.

My feeling is actions like those may inconvenience those behind you if you don't move immediately when the car in front drives off. Give those kinds of people warnings, unless they are forewarned and fail to listen.

My view is that she did not endanger lives whilst looking at her phone, while her vehicle was stationary.

I actually disagree here. This particular road is through hyde Park if I'm not mistaken. Lots of pedestrians. Traffic crawling.. Looking at your phone while inching along. A small child or any pedestrian for that matter could choose that moment to decide to cross the road through traffic... The distracted driver not see them.. And suddenly a life of in danger.

I actually disagree here. This particular road is through hyde Park if I'm not mistaken. Lots of pedestrians. Traffic crawling.. Looking at your phone while inching along. A small child or any pedestrian for that matter could choose that moment to decide to cross the road through traffic... The distracted driver not see them.. And suddenly a life of in danger.

Fair point. Then I concede that it can develop into a life threatening scenario.

While on the topic. Is Jay walking a commonly occurring transgression in those areas?

Just had a quick look at the above posts and although we might want to give him Kudo's for what he is doing, I don't think that he has the right to stand in a road and stop cars (legally?).

One day some brute of a guy is going to flatten him with a car (or fist maybe) and declare that he purposely stepped out into the road in front of him - as you can see there is already evidence of him doing so!

Although some might see him as well intentioned, I believe that he can do all his recordings from the side of the road and not interfere with the traffic flow in any way!

I hope some aggrieved person doesn't take him out one day for his impersonation of a traffic cop!

Agree 100%. In countries where filtering / lane splitting is illegal a bike will sit in that queue. Motorists by nature look out for other cars. Poplap looks up from her latest selfie and sees the car in front move while not paying attention to the bike. So she rear ends it while pulling away.

While this may sound like a drinking story around a braai I can assure you it happens more often than not.

When you get behind the wheel you put your phone away. As soon as mine connects to the Bluetooth in my car it goes into “do-not-disturb” and all calls are routed through the system. Texts and **** can wait until I get to my destination. If it’s urgent you can call me.

Just had a quick look at the above posts and although we might want to give him Kudo's for what he is doing, I don't think that he has the right to stand in a road and stop cars (legally?).

One day some brute of a guy is going to flatten him with a car (or fist maybe) and declare that he purposely stepped out into the road in front of him - as you can see there is already evidence of him doing so!

Although some might see him as well intentioned, I believe that he can do all his recordings from the side of the road and not interfere with the traffic flow in any way!

I hope some aggrieved person doesn't take him out one day for his impersonation of a traffic cop!

I’ve been following him on Twitter for a couple of years. He is regularly threatened. Lots of threats mention where he lives, where he regularly rides etc. I’ve always wondered if some idiot might follow through on a threat. Really hope not as I think he raises awareness.

Fair point. Then I concede that it can develop into a life threatening scenario.

While on the topic. Is Jay walking a commonly occurring transgression in those areas?

I found it generally pretty law abiding but you do get some however I wasn't really out and about in peak times so morning rush hour may be different. What I did notice was that I had forgotten how cars  actually observe zebra crossings and the confidence people had to cross as cars were slowing down evidently secure in the knowledge that they would stop. I was too used to SA where you wait securely on the pavement till maybe one out of 20 cars actually stops and then run like hell to make it to the other side as fast as possible.

I found it generally pretty law abiding but you do get some however I wasn't really out and about in peak times so morning rush hour may be different. What I did notice was that I had forgotten how cars  actually observe zebra crossings and the confidence people had to cross as cars were slowing down evidently secure in the knowledge that they would stop. I was too used to SA where you wait securely on the pavement till maybe one out of 20 cars actually stops and then run like hell to make it to the other side as fast as possible.

Yep, that was my experience as well... waay back in 2006 when I went across the pond...

In SA, I think 99.9% of people will be surprised/confused if a police officer fined them for jay-walking.

I found it generally pretty law abiding but you do get some however I wasn't really out and about in peak times so morning rush hour may be different. What I did notice was that I had forgotten how cars actually observe zebra crossings and the confidence people had to cross as cars were slowing down evidently secure in the knowledge that they would stop. I was too used to SA where you wait securely on the pavement till maybe one out of 20 cars actually stops and then run like hell to make it to the other side as fast as possible.

Our little local town used to have 2 crossing on the main street over a distance of about 400m.. Both at the upper end. People cross haphazardly at the lower end continuously. They now installed 2 at the lower end... So that's a crossing every 100m.... They still jay walk because the Traffic is generally quite slow and people are just used to Jay walking there. You have to be on high alert going through the town. I'll be interested to see if it decreases when they are used to the new crossings

Edit.. Just street viewed down the road and there are two incidents of jay walking! [emoji38]

Edited by Stretch