CyclingMikey - nuisance or doing some good

Stretch

There's this dutch cyclist in the UK who goes out of his way to prosecute people using their phones and driving badly while he is cycling. He reports them to the Met and follows up to see what fines/penalties they get. 

He also favours this particular corner (video) which people use to rather dangerously cut traffic.

I am guessing he monetises his channel a fair bit to have the time to be able to do this. Whats your thoughts?

Anyone whose ever commuted on a bike/motorbike will agree what he is doing.

The amount of close calls I had with my motorbike because Karen had to send the last selfie she took to Ken is frightening

All motorists with a cellphone in their hands should get charged with reckless endangerment. Finish en klaar.

Anyone whose ever commuted on a bike/motorbike will agree what he is doing.

The amount of close calls I had with my motorbike because Karen had to send the last selfie she took to Ken is frightening

All motorists with a cellphone in their hands should get charged with reckless endangerment. Finish en klaar.

I absolutely agree. I cant stand phone usage. I dont think enough is being done technology wise to prevent phone usage while travelling. It obviously becomes difficult when you have passengers and allowing them to use phones - but more research needs to be done.

it is interesting to look at his cycling videos too and see how people just dont understand cyclist awareness, or worst of all overtaking to stop at a light 100m down the road. His videos certainly provide interesting viewing

Mikey sounds Saffa? ..... Same intersection one guy actually bumps him with his car and then gets arrested by the cops.

So who is actually "the nuisance" here? 

Good on Mikey 

He is dutch...you will be surprised how similar our accents are to any other dutch person that has grown up in an english society

Interesting approach.

Our society needs a wake-up call on cellphone usage.

I do think he needs to pick bigger battles than to target a lady who looked at an instagram post while standing completely still in a very long queue to a traffic light. 

Still wrong, yes. And we need to re-learn to be fine without entertainment in standstill traffic.

But surely his energy is better spent on actions that endanger the lives of others.

I have filtered between cars on the motorbike and saw someone watching series, with their tablet balanced on their steering wheel, going down republic road.

I ride with a camera, but doubt anything would come of it.

I have filtered between cars on the motorbike and saw someone watching series, with their tablet balanced on their steering wheel, going down republic road.

I ride with a camera, but doubt anything would come of it.

watching movies, reading the newspaper, eating a bowl of cereal...... seen so many stupid things.

I think its good. If it makes 1 less person drive like that there, then objective achieved, right?

Ages ago I saw clips of a biker (motorbike I think, memory letting me down), who would spot someone littering out their car, and then go tip a bin load of rubbish through their car window. 

Both are maybe overreaching a bit, but I like.

would have been hilarious to see the Volvo driver in the posted video trying to drive into him,

anything above walking speed activates the City Safety system which means the car will automatically slam on brakes if it senses you are going to drive into something like a cyclist.

Its very frustrating when you have the rage and you try and scare someone but the car doesnt let you.

Interesting approach.

Our society needs a wake-up call on cellphone usage.

I do think he needs to pick bigger battles than to target a lady who looked at an instagram post while standing completely still in a very long queue to a traffic light. 

Still wrong, yes. And we need to re-learn to be fine without entertainment in standstill traffic.

But surely his energy is better spent on actions that endanger the lives of others.

Will it serve its purpose to make her aware? will she think twice again? some might not , but some definitely will. Rather make her aware while it is safe for the reporter so she wont do it while its not safe as a driver

He is great. 

He keeps a log of all the incidents and follows up with prosecutions as well.

He also spots his repeat offenders and targets them and gets their license banned. 

I reckon if COCT cottoned on to this revenue stream they would be printing money from my morning ride in alone!

Nobody is forcing these people to break the law, its a choice. 

As posted in another thread, all cars should come with a black box that is linked to vehicle registration, every time exceed speed limit, issued a fine. After R5k in fines that are not paid car goes into limp mode. 

Car to not start if there is phone movement detected, if detected when driving, enter limp mode etc.

Its coming and when it does and reduces all road deaths, we will sit back and ask why we allowed so much death on our roads for so long.

There's this dutch cyclist in the UK who goes out of his way to prosecute people using their phones and driving badly while he is cycling. He reports them to the Met and follows up to see what fines/penalties they get. 

He also favours this particular corner (video) which people use to rather dangerously cut traffic.

I am guessing he monetises his channel a fair bit to have the time to be able to do this. Whats your thoughts?

Can we get him to come sit on N1S/Glenhove offramp (Or any one of a thousand others) and police the taxis?