Tinnitus

Warthog

So, browsing through the motorcycle fred I saw Mazambaan en Grebel mentioning they suffer from this. Probably couple more out there.

I have it too, and seems to be getting worse with the prostate cancer treatment...

Anything you guys do that alleviates it?

I have high BP, I realize I’ve forgotten to take my tabs when I hear my ears buzzing. It’s definitely gotten better since starting BP meds, but according to my sister in law, who’s an audiologist, I have to accept that I will live with it forever.

I have high BP, I realize I’ve forgotten to take my tabs when I hear my ears buzzing. It’s definitely gotten better since starting BP meds, but according to my sister in law, who’s an audiologist, I have to accept that I will live with it forever.

I've been on BP meds for about 10 years now. Struggled to sort the meds with the cancer meds, but BP now sorted.

Yeah, I've read that it is for ever, but just curious it there is something somewhere that can make it bit better.

(I've had it ever since I can remember. Never even thought about it, thought it was just normal and everybody's ears is like that. Until the wife one day mentioned "haar ore suis nou" after some loud music. I said "So?" Then only realized that it is not normal and started reading up on it.)

I've also had it since I can remember, ... at school my parents had taken me for some dental work even, as a doctor suggested that the pressure in my gums/teeth were causing the tinnitus. 

Nothing worked ... other side of 50 now  ... and just live with it.

Sometimes I see news that there might be hope ...  a cure ... but I've seen nothing promising.

Nothing worked ... other side of 50 now  ... and just live with it.

Sometimes I see news that there might be hope ...  a cure ... but I've seen nothing promising.

Sounds like me talking...

Edited by Warthog

It's a condition that a very large percentage of the population have.

Many different things (meds, exposure to noise, etc) cause damage to the nerves in the auditory canal, so it can't be fixed at this time.

I've had it for years, and have slowly gotten used to it. It's always there, I just tend not to notice it unless the ambient noise stops and there's silence (like late at night). White noise helps a lot to mask it (background sounds like aircon, traffic, etc). You can get a white noise generator if you want to control the environment more.

Good luck, you're not alone, nor crazy, and while it won't go away there's no need to despair, it gets bearable.

Count me in too. Worked with high pitched turbines for many years, love heavy metal and do clay pigeon shooting.........learnt to live with it. Lots of snake oil salesmen out there claiming to have a cure.......there is no such thing.

Count me in too. Worked with high pitched turbines for many years, love heavy metal and do clay pigeon shooting.........learnt to live with it. Lots of snake oil salesmen out there claiming to have a cure.......there is no such thing.

Listen to some Ginger Baker....it might cure it...

If you think about it you will notice it. Try not to think about it.

Yeah been around noisy things my whole life, planes, bikes and i have it as well but as Bb says i dont notice unless i think about it.

Made me think though, how bad can it get...? Is there a way to measure how bad you have it?

Doesnt bother me at all, but i do wonder if it keeps getting worse then what

Yeah been around noisy things my whole life, planes, bikes and i have it as well but as Bb says i dont notice unless i think about it.

Made me think though, how bad can it get...? Is there a way to measure how bad you have it?

Doesnt bother me at all, but i do wonder if it keeps getting worse then what

I don't think it gets worse (unless the cause persists, like noise) but you might find another problem emerging later on as your brain starts "dealing with" the symptoms. It's called recruitment.

In my case it's created a problem where certain sounds (specifically a dog barking indoors) causes a physical shock.

An explanation of recruitment is:

"The result of this recruitment causes us two basic problems.

First, the sounds reaching our brains appear to be much louder that normal. This is because the recruited hair cells still function in their original critical bands and also in the adjacent one(s) they have been recruited into.

Remember that when any hair cell in a critical band is stimulated, the whole critical band sends a signal to our brains. So the original critical band sends one unit of sound to our brains, and at the same time, since the same hair cell is now recruited to an adjacent critical band, it stimulates that critical band also. Thus, another unit of sound is sent to our brains. Hence, we perceive the sound as twice as loud as normal.

If our hearing loss is severe, a given hair cell may be recruited into several critical bands at the same time. Thus our ears could be sending, for example, eight units of sound to our brains and we now perceive that sound as eight times louder than normal. You can readily see how sounds can get painfully loud very fast! This is when we complain of our recruitment.

In fact, if you have severe recruitment, when a sound becomes loud enough for you to hear, it is already too loud for you to stand.

The second result of recruitment is “fuzzy” hearing. Since each critical band sends one signal at the frequency of that critical band, when hair cells get recruited into adjacent bands, they stimulate each critical band they are a member of to send their signals also. Consequently, instead of hearing just one frequency for a given syllable of sound, for example, perhaps our brains now receive eight signals at the same time—each one at a different frequency.

The result is that we now often cannot distinguish similar sounding words from each other. They all sound about the same to us. We are not sure if the person said the word “run” or was it “dumb,” or “thumb,” or “done,” or “sun,” or? In other words, we have problems with discrimination as well as with volume. If our recruitment is bad, our discrimination scores likely will go way down."

I have seen some snakeoil sales people advertising "headphones" for tinnitus, cant see how it would work though.

Seems there are a lot of ads for this lately.

I have seen some snakeoil sales people advertising "headphones" for tinnitus, cant see how it would work though.

Seems there are a lot of ads for this lately.

Probably to generate white noise.

I don't think it gets worse (unless the cause persists, like noise) but you might find another problem emerging later on as your brain starts "dealing with" the symptoms. It's called recruitment.

In my case it's created a problem where certain sounds (specifically a dog barking indoors) causes a physical shock.

An explanation of recruitment is:

"The result of this recruitment causes us two basic problems.

First, the sounds reaching our brains appear to be much louder that normal. This is because the recruited hair cells still function in their original critical bands and also in the adjacent one(s) they have been recruited into.

Remember that when any hair cell in a critical band is stimulated, the whole critical band sends a signal to our brains. So the original critical band sends one unit of sound to our brains, and at the same time, since the same hair cell is now recruited to an adjacent critical band, it stimulates that critical band also. Thus, another unit of sound is sent to our brains. Hence, we perceive the sound as twice as loud as normal.

If our hearing loss is severe, a given hair cell may be recruited into several critical bands at the same time. Thus our ears could be sending, for example, eight units of sound to our brains and we now perceive that sound as eight times louder than normal. You can readily see how sounds can get painfully loud very fast! This is when we complain of our recruitment.

In fact, if you have severe recruitment, when a sound becomes loud enough for you to hear, it is already too loud for you to stand.

The second result of recruitment is “fuzzy” hearing. Since each critical band sends one signal at the frequency of that critical band, when hair cells get recruited into adjacent bands, they stimulate each critical band they are a member of to send their signals also. Consequently, instead of hearing just one frequency for a given syllable of sound, for example, perhaps our brains now receive eight signals at the same time—each one at a different frequency.

The result is that we now often cannot distinguish similar sounding words from each other. They all sound about the same to us. We are not sure if the person said the word “run” or was it “dumb,” or “thumb,” or “done,” or “sun,” or? In other words, we have problems with discrimination as well as with volume. If our recruitment is bad, our discrimination scores likely will go way down."

might explain why I get irritated by the smallest of sounds that nobody else is even bothered with

I've spent most of my professional life behind a sound board or very close by enormous amounts of speakers and screaming audiences. There was also a short stint where I sat behind a drum kit and beat the crap out of it wedged in between large guitar and bass amplifiers. None of which have done my hearing any favors. After a long day on the job (when we used to actually do live shows) I would get home and lie in bed to the ring of 4000khz and up.. Its not really gone away..

I have done some tests and I know I have dip at 4k and also 800hz. Which is right in the range at which the human voice sits.

The damage is now done.

You get used to it. But the people close to you don't when they turn their back and talk, or mutter from another room or complain that the TV is too loud..