Help choose R40k Dual Sus MTB

Wimmas

Nothing wrong with NX really. The older generation derailleurs are known to implode on themselves so maybe ask the shop to upgrade that to GX from the start.

The cassettes, shifters, and cranks are pretty damn good and do a great job. Good crisp shifting.

Quality is one discussion, and their less than stelar entrance to the market certainly tainted perceptions ...

Technically ...

I dont want derailures running on bushes

As for the cassette ... due to the 11 tooth it is in the entry level basket with many other cheap options, and frankly hardly any better than a decent 11 speed setup .... except that an 11 speed setup is more robust and much less finicky ....

A "true" 12 speed system improves on 11 speed by bringing the 10 tooth to the mix.

The only benefit of a 11-50 system is marginally closer gear ratios .... for me this is not a deal breaker ON TRAILS.

From personal experience I prefer a robust 11 speed system to a cheap finiky 12 speed, in fact I prefer it to the not so cheap 10-50 GX.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo, if you are wanting to go Shimano either way, I'd say get the Trance 2, and upgrade the brakes to Deore 6000 4 pot brakes, will be more powerful than the m520, and basically the same as SLX and XT brakes.

You could also change the SLX shifter to XT, as the shifter is the one place where you will feel an improvement. From what I've seen, theres No real difference between the SLX and XT derailleurs and crank besides aesthetics, but the XT shifter has double bearings Vs bearing and bushings in the SLX. This could also be done later.

The Scott? 

No, a Stratos. Seems well suited to what Wimmas wants, but it's in CT. Any hubbers willing to help and go have a look at the bike to check it out?

The seller says he's 1.68 and the small felt too small for him and that the medium is not as large as other mediums. Tricky when you can sit on the bike before buying it.

Edited by MrJacques

Could work if someone in CT can check out the bike for me and faciliate the sale and help with shipping.

I can go test ride one locally, but will need assistance with the sale in CT.

You can buy my Lapierre XR 929 full carbon for cheap.

Fox Factory Kashima PUSH tuned rear shock, XT 1 x 11, SLX single pot brakes, Hope pro4 hubs laced to 27mm ID rims, 125mm Lyne dropper, 760mm niner bars.... 120mm RS revelation on the front, Absolute black oval 32 tooth on race face cinch cranks.....

Onza Ibex 2.25 rear and 2.4 front..... I could swap out whe wheelset for some pink Chris King hubs laced to Spank 345 rims.... Might cost extra.

I'm probably forgetting stuff. It's a weird looking bike but it's rad and it shreds. Selling as I have a new Titan Cypher team carbon with 120mm/120mm.

Shameless plug, priceless. Sorry to hijack the thread.....

But ja, if the Stratos is near me I can help too

Or this.... Seriously... I actually want this... You can buy my Titan

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/4129/cannondale-habit

Edited by Jewbacca

You can get a pretty decent 2nd hand bike in good condition for 40k. I plan on putting my Silverback Sesta Pro up for sale for about that price and it's a carbon frame, with Arch MK3 wheels, 1X12 GX (with Sunrace cassette though), XT brakes and shifters, and I'm leaving the Power2Max NGEco power meter and the Wahoo Bolt on it. Probably going to toss in 4 brand new tyres I bought a while ago as well. There are quite a few optimistic sellers on the hub it seems, trying to sell 2nd hand bikes for close to new prices. With your budget, I'm sure you're going to find a lekker bike. Good Luck!

Edited by aiyaaz

Wimmas if you keen on this stratos in CT can assist in checking bike out for you.

First go test ride the same version by you though

Wimmas if you keen on this stratos in CT can assist in checking bike out for you.

First go test ride the same version by you though

Thanks bud, appreciate it! After my club ride on Saturday I am going to test ride one. If I am keen I will make contact!

Just some feedback:

Went to Giant JHB - No stock of the Anthem 2 or Trance 2 2020 models. According to them also not going to get 2020 models again. They only had an Anthem 2 2021 model which I am not interested in as there are better value for money bikes in the market. Trance 2 2021 only coming in Jan, also spec'd down from the 2020 model. There was a Stance which looked great but there are better bikes in the market for R33,000. So Giant is no longer on the cards.

Went to test ride two other bikes : Silverback Stratos AL1 2020 and the Titan RS Cypher Elite 2020. Definite winner for me was the Silverback Stratos AL1. The titan is nice, but typical XC bike with an aggressive feel to it. The Silverback is definitely built for comfort and fun. You feel confident when on the Stratos AL 1.

I am 100% sure I am going with the Silverback Stratos AL1. It is extremely well spec'd for the price. I cannot find any other bike as well spec'd for the price - GX group set, Fox suspension with 34mm stanchions up front and 120mm travel, Deore brakes, Stan's  Crest S1 rims, dropper post, can take two water bottles... Think I am going to have a lot of fun with it!

Will hopefully get it this week and rip it next weekend!

Thanks for everyone's' input and suggestions!

Cool :) What size did you test?

Medium!

On the sizing chart I can almost fit on a Small, but it is borderline so I would rather opt for a Medium as it will also be easier to sell one day. My inseam is somewhere between 79 and 80 cm, so also better to go for Medium.

Edited by Wimmas

Did you get it?

I did indeed! Did a 20km yesterday before work and it was awesome. Does not look like I will be able to ride tomorrow with the club as it looks like it is going to pour.